Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
Pages: 1, 2
tokyo-rose
Just finished Ha Jin's A Good Fall:

Now reading Charles Baxter's The Soul Thief:

futura
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(futura @ Sep 3 2010, 06:23 PM) *

Ooh, I've been meaning to read that for a while. How is it so far?
futura
It's okay. For some reason I was expecting it to be different. I'm still only at the beginning so it's hard to say haha
Joanne

Though I've never read Jane Eyre... I guess I should at least watch the movie adaptation first.
mbtonshoes33
????
gojira
QUOTE(futura @ Sep 3 2010, 07:38 PM) *
It's okay. For some reason I was expecting it to be different. I'm still only at the beginning so it's hard to say haha

same. i didn't favor it too much
batman
QUOTE(Joanne @ Sep 3 2010, 08:45 PM) *
Though I've never read Jane Eyre... I guess I should at least watch the movie adaptation first.

noooo, read Jane Eyre! it's good. it was my favorite book all through high school :d
tokyo-rose
Finished reading these yesterday, both for English classes:

Currently reading:

futura
LittleMissSunshine
i have to read heart of darkness and things fall apart.. english sucks!
futura
the walking dead series
pandemonium
futura
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
futura
QUOTE(batman @ Sep 26 2010, 09:28 AM) *
noooo, read Jane Eyre! it's good. it was my favorite book all through high school :d

Currently reading! I haven't even read the first chapter but I feel like I'm already going to enjoy the film adaption coming out soon.
Joanne
QUOTE(Joanne @ Sep 3 2010, 04:45 PM) *
http://images.buch.de/images-adb/43/1e/431...cf864b55a66.jpg

QUOTE(batman @ Sep 26 2010, 09:28 AM) *

So... I didn't really read The Eyre Affair. School started and I just dropped all my extracurricular reading. sad.gif

QUOTE(futura @ Dec 5 2010, 03:08 AM) *
I feel like I'm already going to enjoy the film adaption coming out soon.

Me too! I'm so excited for it even though I don't know the story.
Teesa
into thin air

futura
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
arcanum
QUOTE(futura @ Nov 4 2010, 05:53 PM) *
the walking dead series

So good, I have all but 13. I need to get it!
futura
QUOTE(arcanum @ Jan 17 2011, 11:05 PM) *
So good, I have all but 13. I need to get it!

AHH I KNOW RIGHT!? Did you watch season 1 when it was on?
arcanum
QUOTE(futura @ Jan 18 2011, 03:28 AM) *
AHH I KNOW RIGHT!? Did you watch season 1 when it was on?

I have yet to see it, I need to. I might just buy it or something. I was turned onto The Walking Dead by my boyfriends 11 year old brother, Actually. & then i started buying them and finished reading all of them {{all as in about 1-8, cause I hadnt found the others yet)) & then I heard them announce that they were doing a show. Kinda crazy. But unfortunately I only see TV shows if someone has them on dvd, or if hulu has them. So, like I said, I'll probably buy it. haha
futura
haha same here! They used to have the episodes on hulu but they removed them so I wasn't able to finish watching it. But I think the comics are soooo much better than the show.
tokyo-rose
Rereading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Simba

Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor in the American Black Market by Eric Schlosser
LittleMissSunshine
hamlet, need some Shakespeare, for school. :]
tokyo-rose
Recently read:

Now reading:

futura
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I can't visualize Emma Watson as Sam in the movie adaption for some reason.
futura
The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl
creole
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Teesa
cristy, i LOVE your taste in books. did you enjoy those three that you read before a thousand splendid suns?

QUOTE(Teesa @ Dec 30 2010, 11:19 PM) *
into thin air

^finally finished that last week, and just started:

tokyo-rose
QUOTE(Teesa @ Mar 7 2011, 07:18 PM) *
cristy, i LOVE your taste in books. did you enjoy those three that you read before a thousand splendid suns?

Thanks, Teesa :) Yes, especially Shanghai Girls.
creole
A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Othello by The Shakes

Hamlet by The Shakes

Joanne
Teesa
finished how the garcia girls lost their accents and didn't like it that much. :/

also read hunger games this past week and really liked it. gonna start catching fire this week.
Joanne
Gigi
^ Me too! Can't count the number of times I've scared my mom from ROFL'ing at home.
Matsumoto
Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

Followed by:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire > Stieg Larsson
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
tokyo-rose
click to enlarge

brooklyneast05
EVERYTHING EVERY WRITTEN BY DAVID SEDARIS!!!!!
hypnotique
Private Parts by Howard Stern. (It's a good read)
KissMe2408
"The Shack"
"Ultra Marathon Man"
"What to do on the worst day of your life"

i'm so cool.
mipadi
The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf.
smash

... finally.
Joanne
^ Same!!
smash
whenever i have quiet time to myself i find myself picking it up. i'm excited to read the other two already and i'm only half way through it. some guy saw me reading it and suggested that i watch the films w/english subtitles. he said they're amazing and stay pretty true to the books. he also mentioned that the actual title translated to "man who hates women" or something like that. i'm so intrigued right now.
tokyo-rose
I've been reading mostly Asian American/Asian Canadian literature since the start of the summer.

Joanne
QUOTE(smash @ Sep 28 2011, 06:52 PM) *
whenever i have quiet time to myself i find myself picking it up. i'm excited to read the other two already and i'm only half way through it. some guy saw me reading it and suggested that i watch the films w/english subtitles. he said they're amazing and stay pretty true to the books. he also mentioned that the actual title translated to "man who hates women" or something like that. i'm so intrigued right now.

Haha, no need to put the spoiler tags on that... I mean, it's the original title afterall.

How'd you like the book? I thought it was super slow at the beginning, but once things actually started happening, I couldn't put it down!! I can't wait to read the other two now. (Did you watch the Swedish film adaptation? I was kind of disappointed...)
smash
QUOTE(Joanne @ Oct 11 2011, 09:01 PM) *
Haha, no need to put the spoiler tags on that... I mean, it's the original title afterall.

How'd you like the book? I thought it was super slow at the beginning, but once things actually started happening, I couldn't put it down!! I can't wait to read the other two now. (Did you watch the Swedish film adaptation? I was kind of disappointed...)

i'm not even done yet. i'm about 2/3 of the way through it. i need to pick it back up. it was definitely slow at the beginning. i think i glanced over the first chapter or two about 4 times before i actually read it.
Joanne

QUOTE(smash @ Oct 13 2011, 05:52 PM) *
i'm not even done yet. i'm about 2/3 of the way through it. i need to pick it back up. it was definitely slow at the beginning. i think i glanced over the first chapter or two about 4 times before i actually read it.

It doesn't reaaallly pick up and get exciting until halfway through the book LOL. Be patient!
Tomates
Drown by Junot Diaz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.