Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: malcolm gladwell
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
brooklyneast05
who has read stuff by malcolm gladwell? if so what have you read?

creole
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 17 2010, 03:38 PM) *

creole
i read this comic to be humorous and somewhat related
brooklyneast05
k

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 17 2010, 03:38 PM) *

none345678
I read Tipping Point. It was a quick read and I was indifferent to it. Read a very small bit of Blink (I think that's its name) also.

I can only assume you have read stuff by him, jCizzle.
Gigi
I've read:

The Tipping Point
Blink
Outliers

LOVE THEM ALL. Outliers is my favourite hands down. He's a phenomenal speaker as well.

No they're not the most scientifically amazing books in the world, but they are entertaining to read and cause you to think about things differently. I know that Outliers has completely changed the way I think about one person's success. The Tipping Point is nice to read if you're interested in business. And Blink is pretty cool from a psychological point of view.

I've bought What the Dog Saw but haven't read it yet. No time to read...
brooklyneast05
i'm probably 1/3rd the way through blink right now, so wondering if the rest of them are good. i plan to read the others. i really like blink so far. it's fun to read, it makes me think, but it's not overly complicated or hard reading. it's a nice compromise..or something.
shadowfax
I borrowed Blink from the library, bought The Tipping Point in India (cheap!!), and bought Outliers here. I'm partway through Outliers but it's my favorite so far. Have you read What the Dog Saw?
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(shadowfax @ Apr 13 2010, 08:44 PM) *
I borrowed Blink from the library, bought The Tipping Point in India (cheap!!), and bought Outliers here. I'm partway through Outliers but it's my favorite so far. Have you read What the Dog Saw?

wow, can this be who i think it is ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

yeah i'm reading what the dog saw now, sorta. i haven't gotten into yet, which is leading me to believe i don't like it that much because i was already into blink by this point in the book. i sorta wanna quit and read outliers and the tipping point first. this one seems to be more of a compilation of essays. (i think maybe it's actually just a bunch of articles he's written for the new yorker? can't remember). so i guess the fact that it doesn't seem to have one central theme is throwing me off.
Teesa
i've read parts of a few of them...i just need to sit down and read one. i read some of blink and really liked it, so i'm thinking i'll start with that one.
shadowfax
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 13 2010, 10:02 PM) *
wow, can this be who i think it is ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

yeah i'm reading what the dog saw now, sorta. i haven't gotten into yet, which is leading me to believe i don't like it that much because i was already into blink by this point in the book. i sorta wanna quit and read outliers and the tipping point first. this one seems to be more of a compilation of essays. (i think maybe it's actually just a bunch of articles he's written for the new yorker? can't remember). so i guess the fact that it doesn't seem to have one central theme is throwing me off.
lol Hi! How are you? :) I looked it up and you're right, it doesn't have a central unifying theme. Maybe I can find an e-book version or something.
sixfive
Hi Mona
shadowfax
Woah, totally missed Teesa's post. And hey, Steven. How's it going?
sixfive
Not much, keeping up with racism / hate. You know, the usual.
Kathleen
Eek, yes -- I remember seeing in the "What are you reading now?" thread that you're on Outliers. I've read all three... it seems about time for him to come out with a new book, eh?

I liked them all; I don't have a favorite, but I'm thinking of re-reading them. I've also been on the lookout for when he speaks, but I haven't caught him yet. Argh.
brooklyneast05
oh isn't there four now? did you read What the Dog Saw?

i still haven't finished outliers. i think it's really good and engaging i just keep getting home from work and not feeling like reading. i needa do that this weekend.

i'd like to see him speak too.
Kathleen
Yikes! I really am behind. I'm off to Barnes & Noble now, haha!
brooklyneast05
so i read Outliers. liked it a lot, probably even more than blink. i still need to read the tipping point though before i could pick a real favorite.
Gigi
He came to Vancouver but the tickets to the conference or whatever it was were like $200 a pop. Hells nah.

Still haven't finished What the Dog Saw. Too many books to read...not enough time...still think that Outliers is my fav though!
brooklyneast05
wtf @ 200 bucks
shadowfax
If you're interested to see him speak, there is an 18min video you can watch on TED.
http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_...etti_sauce.html
brooklyneast05
oh hell yeah. i've been meaning to watch his TED talk for a while now but kept forgetting to find it.
Gigi
His TED talk is awesome! I don't know how someone makes spaghetti sauce interesting and entertaining.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.