Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Various 800x600 Wallpapers
Forums > Resource Center > Showcase Booth
museical
any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated. and yes, I used the same textures a few times on these. so any help on where I can find large textures would also be good, thank you!

Angelina Jolie:

Gillian Anderson:

Jewel Staite:

Amy Lee:

and uh, I forget her name. my friend was sending me links of her pics, but the links didn't say who she was lol:

jiyong
I really like the one of Amy Lee. Jewel and Gillian - the images of them are way overexposed, it looks a bit tacky tbh. The Angelina Jolie one feels a bit off-balance. I really like the textures you used.
museical
QUOTE(elletricity @ Feb 8 2010, 09:51 PM) *
I really like the one of Amy Lee. Jewel and Gillian - the images of them are way overexposed, it looks a bit tacky tbh. The Angelina Jolie one feels a bit off-balance. I really like the textures you used.

thank you very much for the feedback, I really appreciate it :)

Mikeplyts
I like the textures and blending, but some of them don't seem right. The Angelina Jolie one seems kind of random, to be honest, because of the images you used (I can't really tell if the concept of this one is supposed to give off a fierce vibe or a seductive feeling). However, you do well with your cobbing. Also, like Gabrielle said, some of them are over-exposed and the text used in the Jewel Staite one really takes away from the design because it's kind of difficult to read, it has a pretty nasty color, and the drop shadow does not look good at all. If I were you, I'd remove that text completely so it'd look as good as all the other ones. Good job, though. You've definitely improved. thumbsup.gif
creole
Agreeing with Gabrielle and Mike. My favorite one would have to be the Amy Lee, because of the way you chose to blend the pictures well. My least favorite would have to be the Jewel Staite, cause basically the subject looks too saturated, especially her left hand which shows it being really red.

My tip/advice for you is to watch how you're increasing the contrast/saturation on an image. The style looks great, but you gotta look around the image to see if anything is being damaged. You could always try concealing the errors, but that would take lots of work to mend.
heyo-captain-jack
not only do these look like shit, but they are generic and nobody uses 800x600 anymore anyway.
jiyong
If you're using Photoshop, you could try using Levels or Curves instead of Contrast/Brightness or Saturation (I'm assuming those are the tools you're using, correct me if I'm wrong).
museical
I appreciate all of the feedback and the tips. (even from the one who said my stuff all looked like shit. gee thanks :P)

I use Paint Shop Pro to make my art. and I mainly use 800x600 because my eyes suck and that's the only screen res that I can see clearly enough lol

I will try and put your advice to good use in my future works.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(museical @ Feb 9 2010, 11:53 PM) *
(even from the one who said my stuff all looked like shit. gee thanks :P)

I aim to please.
museical
QUOTE(itanium @ Feb 10 2010, 02:04 PM) *
I aim to please.

maybe you should aim a little higher?

queen
i saw 800x600 and thought someone bumped a thread from '03.

aesthetically, the amy lee piece and the last one are semi-appealing. i also like the colors in gillian anderson's, but not the composition.

i think these are all better off as banners, not wallpapers.
none345678
QUOTE(itanium @ Feb 9 2010, 05:00 PM) *
not only do these look like shit, but they are generic and nobody uses 800x600 anymore anyway.

Agreed with how they are really generic and that no one uses 800x600 anymore. I would call these banners not wallpapers.
brooklyneast05
maybe i'm just stupid but i'm confused about why you would be able to see better at a smaller size? i don't understand the connection between 800x600 and bad eye sight.

if you're making them for your use only then i think it doesn't matter. if you're wanting anyone to ever use them then yeah i'd say get away from a size nobody uses. i think on a lot of them the contrast is too much, and they look too blown out.
ForgiveTheSinner
Image usage is important. I think for the Angelina Jolie one, theres too many pictures to look at so it makes it seem busy. And for the second one also the placement of the two pictures isn't appealing.

And like the others said, use curves and stuff.
heyyfrankie
Love the Amy Lee one. :)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.