Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: He refuses to help around the house
Forums > Community Center > Relationships
Ashley_Brook
I live with my boyfriend of 2 years. Several months ago, I was working nearly 60 hours a week in between 2 jobs while he was working around 30ish a one job (the same one I am at too). Since I was working so much, I was tired a lot and didn't do a whole lot of housework for a while. One day when I had the day off and he didn't, he came home to me sleeping and was all pissed because the house was dirty. We got into a big argument and he expressed that I should do more housework than I do, (which I have to admit he DID do a little more than what I was doing there for the while I was working 2 jobs.) I told him I would pick up my slack. Shortly after, I quit one of my jobs because I hated it, wasn't getting paid enough for the work I was doing, and I was offered 40 hours a week at the other one. Since I quit one of my jobs, I have had a lot more time to do housework. The next thing I know, I'm doing just about all of the housework while he sits and plays video games. For the past two months, I have been doing most of the chores on a daily basis. The only thing he really does is take out the trash every few days.

Lately, I have been starting to feel a little taken advantage of, so I decided to ask him to help out. Of course, I planned to ask him as politely as I could so I wouldn't sound like a nagging mother. Today, we both got home from work, I immediately went to do the dishes, and he says right before he gets into the shower, "You should make some cinnamon rolls (that's his favorite) and I said, "I will if you help me out by vacuuming in the living room." First, he shot me this surprised "WTF?" look and then it turned into a shitty look and he said, "Why do I have to do it?" Then I said, "well because I'm doing the dishes and I vacuumed in the other room." Then he just gave me another dirty look and said, "We'll see." He closed the bathroom door and I heard him punch the wall. Then when he got out of the shower, he got dressed and left without saying bye.

I want to know what you all think about this, be honest.
Seon-ho-Lee
Three things.

1) Are you f*cking retarded?
2) Leave him.
3) Go get some real education (hoping your answer isn't 'yes' to question 1).
heyo-captain-jack
You're a woman.
karmakiller
Tell him to get off his lazy ass and help out. You guys should both be doing stuff, not just one of you. You shouldn't have to bribe him with baked goods just to get him to vacuum. If you let him make you do all the chores around the house then he'll continue to do so. Maybe he's just been spoiled all his life and expects you to do the same, and that obviously needs to change.
queen
doing housework on days you have work is not only inefficient; it will wear you down, so try to do as minimal cleaning as possible (e.g. - dusting and washing dishes would probably be a daily thing, but vacuuming and laundry could be put off till the end of the week).

if he refuses an equal sharing of housework, maybe you should reevaluate the relationship...
Maccabee
QUOTE(itanium @ Dec 2 2009, 07:06 PM) *
You're a woman.

From a Man's perspective.
QUOTE(itanium @ Dec 2 2009, 07:06 PM) *
He's a lazy male.

From a Woman's perspective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.