Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: YOUR VIEW on online dating vs traditional dating
Forums > Community Center > Relationships
lillylin91
hey... i'm doing a sociological research paper on the issue of online dating... i REALLY need some opinions/feedback of what people think of it. I need a broad range of people to answer these questions, so I'd FULLY APPRECIATE it if any of you guys can help me by answering me these questions. since i'm only 18, i don't know anyone who online dates....

if you've only dated "traditionally" (face to face, meeting people in real life) then please answer any of these questions:
1. would you try online dating?
2. How long would you wait to meet the person in real life?
3. Would you exaggerate or make up things to make you seem like a better person?
4. Do you find online dating strange or awkward?
5. If you did online date, would you openly tell your friends/family?
6. What are the advantages of online dating?
7. What are the disadvantages of online dating?.
8. Would you feel like you missed out on the “real” dating process of which you would see, touch, feel the person? (such as going to the movies, dancing, eating together)
9. If you had to choose, would you prefer to online date or traditionally date?
10. What is the reason(s) that are keeping you from online dating?

if you've online dated, it'd be even MORE helpful. Please answer THESE questions:
1. Which online dating service did you use?
2. How much did it cost and do you think it was worth it?
3. How long did it take to find your match through online dating?
4. How would you and the other communicate?
5. How often would you communicate with them?
6. Was it difficult to express your emotions through the internet?
7. When did you two first meet in person?
8. Was it awkward to first meet them?
9. Was this person what you expected from their profile and how they acted on the internet?
10. Did you exaggerate or make up anything on your profile to make yourself more attractive to potential dates?
11. If different, how so?
12. Was it strange or awkward to try this new method?
13. Was it strange or awkward to tell your friends/family about it because some people frown upon it?
14. Regarding to your political views, would you consider yourself to be more conservative or more liberal?
15. Did the relationship through online dating last longer than the one through traditional dating?
16. What are the advantages of online dating?
17. What are the disadvantages of online dating?.
18. Do you feel like you missed out on the “real” dating process of which you would see, touch, feel the person? (such as going to the movies, dancing, eating together)
19. Do you prefer online dating over traditional dating?
20. From your experience of dating in both ways, which method would you recommend?

okay, thank you SO much for your cooperation :):) please also mention your name, age, gender, religion or whether you're athiest, and description/general location (completely urban, rural, isolated city, etc) thanks!!! biggrin.gif
HeartOfPandora
Female, 18. See 14 for political? Living in the suburbs of a small town, BLEH. thumbdown.gif

Met in a random chat room, never paid for a service.

n/a

n/a

At first only via IM, but every once in a while we'll talk on the phone now (when either of us can afford it) and also texting. Trying to get him to get Skype, the lazy bitch! A good few times a month we're on webcam, just to see the other's face.

Nearly every day, except where holidays or family functions interfere and the time zone gap doesn't allow it.

Using only words, definitely. At first, you have to be so careful with the words you use when you're upset, or even just being sarcastic because the other person may not quite have picked up your own personal textual cues to your moods. After a while, though, you start to understand context a hell of a lot better, though nowhere near as perfectly as verbal cues can point out.

We haven't yet, but in less than a month we will! EEP.

n/a but we've been together so long I certainly hope it won't be! ><

9. Was this person what you expected from their profile and how they acted on the internet?
n/a

10. Did you exaggerate or make up anything on your profile to make yourself more attractive to potential dates?
No way. Exaggerating who you are is just lying, and that's asking for serious trouble. If you want to keep your relationship (or get one, even) then just don't lie.

eh?

Well I wasn't even looking for a relationship

13. Was it strange or awkward to tell your friends/family about it because some people frown upon it?
The only thing I shied away from was the age gap, and only because I was afraid my relatives would do something about it. Other than that, I had no problem telling people (though it does get repetitive and annoying when people ask the same nosy questions and still can't believe it).

14. Regarding to your political views, would you consider yourself to be more conservative or more liberal?
Depends on the day lol. Mostly in the middle, with a slight tip to the liberal side.

15. Did the relationship through online dating last longer than the one through traditional dating?
Well considering I've never had a "traditional" boyfriend, and I've been with my LDR guy for almost 3 years...YES lol.

It puts way less pressure on both people by removing any normal social awkwardness that might normally push you apart, no matter how good a couple you could have made. In a way, it's a lot simpler. But in other ways...

17. What are the disadvantages of online dating?.
The lack of contact! You might talk every day online or on the phone, maybe you even see each other over webcam but you'd be surprised at how taxing it is emotionally not to be able to give a simple hug (or do other things to/with, if you catch my drift) to someone you care about. Sexual tension is especially high when you can see and hear the person but not touch. You just have to get creative, if you're comfortable with it (and if not, SUCKS TO BE YOU lawl).

18. Do you feel like you missed out on the “real” dating process of which you would see, touch, feel the person? (such as going to the movies, dancing, eating together)
Yeah, after getting past the initial awkwardness, I definitely missed being able to do all the little things. You're getting to know someone pretty well emotionally, but again, you really miss all the little things about them that you can't possibly know yet.

n/a

20. From your experience of dating in both ways, which method would you recommend?
Introverts are probably better breaking the ice online (more time to think and be relaxed), and extroverts offline. That said, I haven't an opinion past that 'cause I've never dated offline (/blows loser horn).
heyo-captain-jack
Male, 17, Moderate, port city (Shit's completely different than urban, rural, isolated, etc.)

Met in IRC
Free, yes.
There was no match making, but I had been on the channel for about a year
IRC, Phone, email, etc.
Usually every day, we were both pretty into the channel. I was Admin, and she was OP
A bit, but we also talked on the phone.
Mid 2008
Not really, I had known her for two years before.
Pretty much, yeah. She looked a bit shorter in her pictures though.
No, not really.
What?
No, not really.
I don't know if I ever told my family. My friends were all channel regulars too, so they all knew about it.
Moderate, leaning slightly towards liberal.

No, not really. Lasted about the same amount of time as a traditional date.
Wider audience.
17. What are the disadvantages of online dating?
Distance.
Not really.
I don't prefer either one.
Traditional, just because it's right for more people.
lillylin91
ah thank you both SO much :) !!
mipadi
I'm 24, male, and an athiest. I prefer the moniker "progressive" to "liberal" to describe myself. I currently live in an urban area, but I grew up in a small town in rural Pennsylvania.

Probably not. I prefer meeting people in real life. I've only ever made a few friends online. I guess I kind of see it as a separate world, in some ways.

I dunno, since I've never done it; probably somewhere on the order of months.

3. Would you exaggerate or make up things to make you seem like a better person?
No, I've always been pretty honest about myself in my online persona, especially as I've gotten older.

Yeah... I guess I've never found the Internet to be a valuable resource for making long-term friends, and I prefer to associate with people I know in real life. Maybe a lot of it has to do with hobbies: the things I like to do are difficult to do over the Internet, but sharing interests are what brings me closer to people.

Probably not.

I dunno. I guess some people are more "honest", or confidence, on the Internet; conversely, some people find it easier to lie about themselves online. I think people overall are less shy online, whether they are telling truth or lies about themselves. Also, if you can't see a person, you might be less likely to make judgments about someone.

7. What are the disadvantages of online dating?
Well, it's nice to spend time with the person you're dating. It's nice to have someone over to watch a movie or go out or whatever. It's nice to interact with their family (once you get to know them well). It's nice to go out with groups of friends. It's nice to get away from your computer or the phone and just go to a café or bookstore and read with someone.

Plus, I think people are, overall, much different online. On Internet forums (CB is no exception), etc., I feel like people are presenting a completely different person than they really are in real life. It makes it harder to really connect with someone when you don't know them offline.

8. Would you feel like you missed out on the “real” dating process of which you would see, touch, feel the person? (such as going to the movies, dancing, eating together)
Absolutely. It's good to get off the Internet and interact with the "real world", especially with the person you're dating. Talking on Google Chat, Skype, email, the phone, etc., just gets boring after a while.

Traditionally.

Well, right now I'm already dating someone (in "real life") so there's no reason to date someone online. _smile.gif But mostly for the reasons I listed above: online dating feels awkward, it seems like it's not as much fun (I know from being in a long-distance relationship that just talking on the phone, etc., gets old), and it's hard to tell whether you're interacting with the "real" person or just an online persona when you're communicating exclusively over the Internet.
StrideEmpty
psh, dateing online always fail
iRapediCarly
QUOTE(itanium @ Nov 30 2009, 02:29 PM) *
Male, 17, Moderate, port city (Shit's completely different than urban, rural, isolated, etc.)

Met in IRC
Free, yes.
There was no match making, but I had been on the channel for about a year
IRC, Phone, email, etc.
Usually every day, we were both pretty into the channel. I was Admin, and she was OP
A bit, but we also talked on the phone.
Mid 2008
Not really, I had known her for two years before.
Pretty much, yeah. She looked a bit shorter in her pictures though.
No, not really.
What?
No, not really.
I don't know if I ever told my family. My friends were all channel regulars too, so they all knew about it.
Moderate, leaning slightly towards liberal.

No, not really. Lasted about the same amount of time as a traditional date.
Wider audience.
Distance.
Not really.
I don't prefer either one.
Traditional, just because it's right for more people.

hey, quick question. Seeing as how you are Bi and whatnot, if you and "her" had met up in person only to find out she's really a guy. would that have stopped you from hittin it?
AimeeLynn

Maybe.
Not long.
I would tell them how I am, accepting who I am and my past etc.
Awkward
No.
I feel that it's easier to find the same likes in a person
They way they actually look in person, The way they react to you in person, if they are intimated by you, list goes on and on
Won't you be able to see them eventually then you can do all those stuff?
Traditional
Lies, Lack of chemistry, awkwardness

heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(buckwild-kingdom @ Dec 20 2009, 10:59 PM) *
hey, quick question. Seeing as how you are Bi and whatnot, if you and "her" had met up in person only to find out she's really a guy. would that have stopped you from hittin it?

I've thought about that before. I've come to the conclusion that it depends on how good looking the guy is.
Yes I've tried online dating.

OkCupid.

It was 100% free although someone who wanted to bang me bought me a premium account. Needless to say nothing came out of that.

Six months or so? I was sort of using it casually when I moved to a new city and met several people before meeting my boyfriend.

We talked online for a month or two until we hung out.

A couple times a week at first and then every day.

No. It wasn't like either of us expected anything, we mostly just talked about things we were both interested in and when we met the sparks flew.

Two months after he first contacted me in the spring of 2008.

Not at all since we had been talking on a regular basis and had an instant romantic connection.

I think it's safe to say he was more than what I expected. It was one of those things were there were so many little things I noticed that made me feel like he was meant for me and whatnot. He's also really good looking and has awesome tattoos I didn't know about until we met.

No, I didn't feel the need to, and I don't think many of the people I met were too different than what I expected.

N/A

No. I've always had friends on the internet, and I got a myspace when I was 14 along with all my friends. We ended up making a lot of friends in our area because of it, and some people ended up dating, but it wasn't really like online dating. I started actually using the site when I moved to a new city where the only people I knew were people I worked and went to school with, and I wanted to look into other options.

I still haven't told a lot of people and we've been together almost two years. It's kind of awkward because people view online dating as an alternative to failure or a last resort, but it's totally not like that. A lot of my friends and relatives have used online dating with a lot of success. I actually am grateful for the fact that I got to prescreen my dates. I wouldn't be in such an amazing relationship if it wasn't for the internet.

Liberal

Yes, this has been my longest relationship so far.

Like I said, prescreening dates and being able to find people outside of your routine. It's like if you had a chance meeting on the street with someone totally attractive, but you already know all they like the same bands as you or something.

It's just as hard as regular dating. I went on a lot of dates who were fun, but not relationship material. I also went on a handful of dates with real creeps. You have to make good decisions about who to meet and where-- in a public place and all that. Admittedly I went home with my boyfriend on the first date and obviously he didn't turn out to be a creep.

Not really. There was plenty of romance.

No. I'd rather date people I meet "traditionally." But it does have its benefits and I'd probably use it again if I were ever single.

That depends. If you're confident in yourself but don't feel like you have a lot of options with your current social situation, then yes. Like I said, I used it when I moved to a new city and didn't know many people. However, it is important to be safe and if you're a girl, there are a lot of obnoxious guys out there who won't take the hint or will insult you if they feel like you've bruised their ego.
Blyat
I'm 17 and currently have a boyfriend, I live in a VERY VERY small town and I would prolly consider online dating if I didn't have my (or any) significant other

idk, prolly not but due to the small town and finding someone it depends

Probably like 2-3 months so You can really get to know them and know your with the right person

No you need to be all truth in a relationship, and have trust

Depends on how you or your significant other communicates maybe meeting them for the first time (for me atleast) might be

Depends, if it was a serious relationship and I was going to meet this person and i knew my parents wouldn't freak out, i would

6. What are the advantages of online dating? I havent dont it so i wouldn't know, but in a different point of view i know ill be doing it a lot hwen im in college with my bf since we will be 8-10 hours away fomr eachother compared to being 30 seconds away (literally). So staying in contact basically

imo, Distance, not being able to see, hear, touch them (non kinky way)

yea

Traditionally

10. What is the reason(s) that are keeping you from online dating? currently have a boyfriend who we think we'll be staying together for quite a long time :), plus for me i wouldn't really do it, that person could be lying to me and the possible akwardness
sixfive
QUOTE(4111989 @ Dec 25 2009, 11:57 PM) *
Yes I've tried online dating.

OkCupid.

It was 100% free although someone who wanted to bang me bought me a premium account. Needless to say nothing came out of that.

Six months or so? I was sort of using it casually when I moved to a new city and met several people before meeting my boyfriend.

We talked online for a month or two until we hung out.

A couple times a week at first and then every day.

No. It wasn't like either of us expected anything, we mostly just talked about things we were both interested in and when we met the sparks flew.

Two months after he first contacted me in the spring of 2008.

Not at all since we had been talking on a regular basis and had an instant romantic connection.

I think it's safe to say he was more than what I expected. It was one of those things were there were so many little things I noticed that made me feel like he was meant for me and whatnot. He's also really good looking and has awesome tattoos I didn't know about until we met.

No, I didn't feel the need to, and I don't think many of the people I met were too different than what I expected.

N/A

No. I've always had friends on the internet, and I got a myspace when I was 14 along with all my friends. We ended up making a lot of friends in our area because of it, and some people ended up dating, but it wasn't really like online dating. I started actually using the site when I moved to a new city where the only people I knew were people I worked and went to school with, and I wanted to look into other options.

I still haven't told a lot of people and we've been together almost two years. It's kind of awkward because people view online dating as an alternative to failure or a last resort, but it's totally not like that. A lot of my friends and relatives have used online dating with a lot of success. I actually am grateful for the fact that I got to prescreen my dates. I wouldn't be in such an amazing relationship if it wasn't for the internet.

Liberal

Yes, this has been my longest relationship so far.

Like I said, prescreening dates and being able to find people outside of your routine. It's like if you had a chance meeting on the street with someone totally attractive, but you already know all they like the same bands as you or something.

It's just as hard as regular dating. I went on a lot of dates who were fun, but not relationship material. I also went on a handful of dates with real creeps. You have to make good decisions about who to meet and where-- in a public place and all that. Admittedly I went home with my boyfriend on the first date and obviously he didn't turn out to be a creep.

18. Do you feel like you missed out on the "real" dating process of which you would see, touch, feel the person? (such as going to the movies, dancing, eating together)
Not really. There was plenty of romance.

No. I'd rather date people I meet "traditionally." But it does have its benefits and I'd probably use it again if I were ever single.

That depends. If you're confident in yourself but don't feel like you have a lot of options with your current social situation, then yes. Like I said, I used it when I moved to a new city and didn't know many people. However, it is important to be safe and if you're a girl, there are a lot of obnoxious guys out there who won't take the hint or will insult you if they feel like you've bruised their ego.

click to enlarge

yuck
QUOTE(serotonin @ Dec 26 2009, 02:32 PM) *

And this is my boyfriend of two years:

Yeah, totally gross right?
sixfive
whats with his nose / is he constipated?

I guess y'all go together well with the whole nasal thing going on
iRapediCarly
rofl think my dick is thicker than his wrists
heyo-captain-jack
I remember when my sense of fashion left 2002.
deteam
Maybe. Not really into meeting people randomly like that.
Probably a couple months or until i felt comfortable enough
haha probably, that's what everyone does
a little strange
maybe not at first, if things got serious then ya
you get to talk to them through the filter first, that way your first date isn't as awkward
could be a child molester lol
yes i enjoy spending time with significant others, since that is what builds a relationship
traditionally,
unfamiliarity with it.

Hope this helps

Stay Up
-1-
Subliminal
none345678
yes
15 minuets
I don't need to. My penis is huge.
no
No my family are freaks. I would never encorage anyone to ever know them.
dick pics. and 40 year olds
ugly people
yeah. Not having sex with within the first hour of meeting them would be weird
no one loves me. :( Even on the Internets
HakunaMatata
Uh heh heh you're probs not going to read this but I read "sociological" and went apeshit.

1. Would you try online dating?
Yes.

Three months, at least. With lots of Skype and stuff! Clean Skype, mind you.

I exaggerate 'irl' quite a bit for effect, but making things up is RIDIC. I can honestly understand putting flattering pictures up, but making sh!t up?

Nahhh, I've a wedding addict, and I've seen SO many gorgeous weddings where the couple met online. Now, I know that doesn't dictate a single thing about their lives as a couple, but the fact that they were able to evolve their relationship from 'online dating' to marriage is huge to me.

Yeah, I'm black sheep enough for that.

Screening!

Creepers.

....okay, see, I don't think you can go on "dates" online, anyway. "Online dating" to me is like...a pre-cursor to "real dating". And...that doesn't answer the question. No! I don't think you're missing out on the "real" dating process, because you never started any dating process, anyway.

Traditionally. WHICH IS WEIRD, 'cause I don't remember the last time I answered that way.

Got a boyfriend already. (:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.