Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mbp to TV not being recognized.
Forums > Community Center > Technology > Tech Help
Maccabee
I have the latest Macbook Pro and I'm having problems connecting it to a TV.

it looks like this.

15" Macbook Pro ---> Mini Display Port to DVI adapter ---> DVI to VGA adapter ---> VGA to VGA ---> VGA port on TV

And I have set the input on the TV to PC (the VGA input) but when I go to display preferences and click detect displays nothing happens. And the TV just says no signal. Whats going on? I even tried restarting! One thing that I must note is that there are 18 pins on the DVI to VGA adapter but 24 holes for pins on the Mini Display Port to DVI adapter. Shouldn't this work?
josephcohen is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
synapse
Yeah, I think it's cause your video card is not powerful enough to run a display larger than the macbook pro, like, 1080p is out of the question, probably can't get any higher than a 720p
heyo-captain-jack
Yeah, told you video card was important.
Maccabee
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics?
that cant be possible. never used a laptop that couldnt connect to a tv. even really crappy pc's.
synapse
QUOTE(jcp @ Oct 22 2009, 09:33 PM) *
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics?
that cant be possible. never used a laptop that couldnt connect to a tv. even really crappy pc's.

well that has to be one of the worst integrated graphics chipsets, ever. rolleyes.gif
heyo-captain-jack
The desktop version is a shitty card from two generations ago. The mobile card is about equivalent to a 6150GT desktop card.
Maccabee
it should be able to connect to a tv though right?
heyo-captain-jack
Unlikely. You may be able to hook up a TV tuner card, and do shit like that.
Maccabee
I just somehow highly doubt this. I have never seen a mac owner unable to hook a mac up to a tv. my brother has an older mac then me and can do it.
heyo-captain-jack
Maybe your brother is smarter than you.

As in, he bought a tuner card.
Maccabee
nope. but his macbook pro has a dvi output. so he could skip a step. he just uses a dvi to vga adapter.
heyo-captain-jack
That could be the problem, you're using 40 adapters.
Maccabee
why could using adapters be a problem. does the quality actually go down when you use an adapter?
heyo-captain-jack
Yes.
Maccabee
its just a mini displayport to dvi adapter.
heyo-captain-jack
opsux
Maccabee
heyo-captain-jack
opnagger
synapse
QUOTE(jcp @ Oct 22 2009, 10:15 PM) *
why could using adapters be a problem. does the quality actually go down when you use an adapter?

QUOTE(tcunningham @ Oct 15 2009, 12:04 AM) *
everytime you bridge something, you're causing more problems for yourself. ati online says it has 2 DVI outputs. But really, it has HDMI, something that looks like HDMI, and 1 DVI output.
Maccabee
then why does this work?

what is that? 10 adapters?
heyo-captain-jack
it doesn't, you're on youtube
synapse
QUOTE(jcp @ Oct 22 2009, 10:34 PM) *
then why does this work?

youtube

what is that? 10 adapters?

Smaller TV. What's the resolution on your TV? Have you consulted with the company to see if it can actually be connected with the Macbook Pro? I have a TV by Curtis that won't connect to a Sony PS3, even though both have HDMI input/output > It's just not compatible.
Maccabee
true. let me try on another tv that has worked before.
and im not sure of the resolution cause i havent gotten it to work. but i know that it isnt apples fault. if anything it is the adapter or tv. i got this
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DVI-DVI-D-Adapt...7075&sr=8-2
instead of getting it straight from apple cause then it costs 5X more.
mipadi
While everyone else is distracted by their wanking over their superior computer knowledge and better graphics cards, I'm going to let you know that you absolutely can connect a MacBook Pro to a TV without a problem. I know this not because I've read about it somewhere on the Internet, but because my former roommate had one of the last iterations of the aluminum MacBooks, which is basically the same thing as a MacBook Pro, and we connected it to his TV all the time without any problems, to watch movies and such. The problem is elsewhere in your setup, either with the adapters or some setting on your TV, because the MacBook Pro won't have any trouble displaying on your TV.
synapse
Well, based on experience. I couldn't connect my PC via integrated graphics (vga) to my TV, but after I got my 4850 I could, (via vga).
Maccabee
QUOTE(mipadi @ Oct 22 2009, 10:10 PM) *
While everyone else is distracted by their wanking over their superior computer knowledge and better graphics cards, I'm going to let you know that you absolutely can connect a MacBook Pro to a TV without a problem. I know this not because I've read about it somewhere on the Internet, but because my former roommate had one of the last iterations of the aluminum MacBooks, which is basically the same thing as a MacBook Pro, and we connected it to his TV all the time without any problems, to watch movies and such. The problem is elsewhere in your setup, either with the adapters or some setting on your TV, because the MacBook Pro won't have any trouble displaying on your TV.

you fools just got told.
lol.

so do you have any idea what it might be?
did your roomates mac have a dvi output? it sure would be easier if there was just one cord.
synapse
QUOTE(jcp @ Oct 22 2009, 11:22 PM) *
you fools just got told.
lol.

so do you have any idea what it might be?
did your roomates mac have a dvi output? it sure would be easier if there was just one cord.

lol, how? His friend's macbook is not the same as your macbook pro.
Maccabee
QUOTE(tcunningham @ Oct 22 2009, 10:23 PM) *

how what? that post makes no sense.
synapse
QUOTE(jcp @ Oct 22 2009, 11:25 PM) *
how what? that post makes no sense.

You said, and I quote,
you fools just got told.
Maccabee
because you kept saying it was the GPU and i kept saying it wasnt.
mipadi
QUOTE(jcp @ Oct 22 2009, 11:22 PM) *

I think he used DVI. Either that or VGA. Definitely not S-video or anything like that, because he was able to output at full resolution to the TV. Are you mirroring or extending desktop?

QUOTE(tcunningham @ Oct 22 2009, 11:23 PM) *

In terms of graphics capabilities, it's essentially the same. Same software, same chipset and all that.
Maccabee
QUOTE(mipadi @ Oct 22 2009, 11:18 PM) *
I think he used DVI. Either that or VGA. Definitely not S-video or anything like that, because he was able to output at full resolution to the TV. Are you mirroring or extending desktop?
In terms of graphics capabilities, it's essentially the same. Same software, same chipset and all that.

anything at this point. cause right now nothing is showing up.
mipadi
QUOTE(jcp @ Oct 23 2009, 12:25 AM) *
anything at this point. cause right now nothing is showing up.

Well, you should be mirroring (if you're not). Does your TV have a DVI input you could use, or do you have to use VGA?
Maccabee
it only has VGA. and tong of HDMI ports and usb type port.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.