Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: macbooks.
Forums > Community Center > Technology
princessx143
i want to get a macbook. im trying to convince my parents to let me have one but they're saying no. they're saying no because i have these cousins who usually fix our computers when they break. and my dad said that they wont know how to fix macs. and thats probably the only reason my mom is saying no too (she said yes at first. but then dad told her about the fixing part and then mom said no..).

i've done some researching and people have said that macs dont have many viruses? some people have had theirs for like 3 years and it still works fine.

what can i say to my parents to make them say yes? OR, is there a reason why i shouldnt get a mac?

-

do you have a mac? what do you think about it? (you like it, you hate it, etc.)
would you recommend it? why or why not ?
synapse
The biggest convincing factor for your parents would be to buy it on your own. If that doesn't roll with you. You're going to have to do better than repeating everything that advertisements do. Tell them exactly why you need a mac in comparison to a pc. Just because you have cousins that fix pc's doesn't mean that you're computer is eventually going to have to be sent to them. I've had my desktop for 2 years; it hasn't crapped out on me.

I have my macbook, the nicest thing I like about it, is, after you get used to it. Everything is about 10 times easier. And the photoshop openGL works wonders in comparison to a pc that needs a high-end graphics card to utilize openGL.
princessx143
even if i went out to buy it on my own i would still need their permission.. :/ and plus, i dont even have the money. ha.

but what i'm asking is should i get it? is it a good laptop? would it be worth it?
synapse
QUOTE(xojessiee @ Sep 16 2009, 11:37 PM) *
even if i went out to buy it on my own i would still need their permission.. :/ and plus, i dont even have the money. ha.

but what i'm asking is should i get it? is it a good laptop? would it be worth it?

Depends on which macbook you're going to go out and buy, after having my white macbook for about 8 months, I'd rather have the 13" macbook pro. Cause there are a lot of things I hate about the white shell. like it's prone to get dirty, the bezel around the LCD seems really crappy. And the actual outside top/glossy part is prone to scratches (if you don't have a hardshell case)

Apple's line of laptops (macbook, macbook pro, air) they're all pretty good laptops, but beware that if something does go wrong, and you need it repaired for hardware, it'll cost a LOT more than pc parts.
mipadi
I've been using Macs since around 1994 or 1995, and I wholeheartedly recommend them. Since 2002, I've owned 2 12-inch MacBooks, and I currently own a 13-inch MacBook Pro, and I've really enjoyed using all of them. I honestly can't imagine using anything else on a daily basis.

I don't have any good recommendations for convincing your parents to get one. I can attest to the fact that my Macs have had fewer problems than my parents' and my brother's PCs; and you're right, viruses, etc., are not much of a concern on a Mac. So I don't think you'd have any problems with maintenance.

Also, I'm not really sure what Thomas means when he says that Macs cost more to be repaired. First of all, if your Mac is still under warranty, it won't cost you a cent to have it fixed by Apple; and secondly, if it's not, Macs use virtually the same parts as PC laptops (except for a few things, like optical drives and wireless cards), so the parts themselves don't really cost any more money.
synapse
QUOTE(mipadi @ Sep 16 2009, 11:49 PM) *
Also, I'm not really sure what Thomas means when he says that Macs cost more to be repaired. First of all, if your Mac is still under warranty, it won't cost you a cent to have it fixed by Apple; and secondly, if it's not, Macs use virtually the same parts as PC laptops (except for a few things, like optical drives and wireless cards), so the parts themselves don't really cost any more money.

If it's not under warrenty and you drop it, cracks the lcd, it'll cost like $500 to get repaired by Apple.
princessx143
i was thinking about the macbook or the macbook pro. but after reading that the macbook gets dirty maybe ill go for the macbook pro. before my dad told my mom about that if it breaks thing, she said she would get me either.

hmm, do macs break often though? or would it be rare? i just did some researching and heres some stuff i found. (im not sure if they are true?)

- don't have to worry about spyware/viruses
- it takes an average of 12 minutesfor a pc to get a virus when connecting a windows computer to the internet. but not with the mac because viruses are for windows, not macs.
- lasts longer than pcs
- better software
- when you get it, nearly anything is ready to be used. it works as soon as you plug everything in and setup is under 10 minutes
- beautifully designed
- although pcs have gotten better since windows 2000/xp, macs crash less often if ever
- can edit videos with the ease of imovie which comes for free
- has a built in webcam
- has great customer support; someone is always there t help
- good performance: windows run fast the first few months then it will mysteriously start to slow down and often requiring a re-install
- drivers: one of the largest causes of crashes with windows is bad device drivers. with apple, you are buying the hardware from the same company who makes the software. you will know it'll be compatible
- serves as a entertainment center
- built for the internet
- good for everyone: kids, teens, adults, teachers, first timers, computer pros, anyone
synapse
QUOTE(xojessiee @ Sep 16 2009, 11:53 PM) *
i was thinking about the macbook or the macbook pro. but after reading that the macbook gets dirty maybe ill go for the macbook pro. before my dad told my mom about that if it breaks thing, she said she would get me either.

hmm, do macs break often though? or would it be rare? i just did some researching and heres some stuff i found. (im not sure if they are true?)

- don't have to worry about spyware/viruses
- it takes an average of 12 minutesfor a pc to get a virus when connecting a windows computer to the internet. but not with the mac because viruses are for windows, not macs.
- lasts longer than pcs
- better software
- when you get it, nearly anything is ready to be used. it works as soon as you plug everything in and setup is under 10 minutes
- beautifully designed
- although pcs have gotten better since windows 2000/xp, macs crash less often if ever
- can edit videos with the ease of imovie which comes for free
- has a built in webcam
- has great customer support; someone is always there t help
- good performance: windows run fast the first few months then it will mysteriously start to slow down and often requiring a re-install
- drivers: one of the largest causes of crashes with windows is bad device drivers. with apple, you are buying the hardware from the same company who makes the software. you will know it'll be compatible
- serves as a entertainment center
- built for the internet
- good for everyone: kids, teens, adults, teachers, first timers, computer pros, anyone

The stuff about viruses is half-true. Virus's are made to corrupt windows' PCs like people will bind a virus to an executable file .exe is a native windows file format, if you try and open an executable file in the mac environment, you'll get an error that says it can't read that format. But mac's are not virus-proof.

click to enlarge
Maccabee
I would say all of that is true for you. Because you dont know much about computers. But for me, becuase I know how to protect my computers and treat them well, just about any pc I own will be as fast or faster then any mac I own, and the odds of getting a virus on my pc are about the same as that of a mac. But basically, I would say, anyone that cant build their own pc, needs a mac.
princessx143
what do you mean by "anyone that cant build their own pc"?
heyo-captain-jack
Ignore jcp, he's retarded.

Pick what's most important to you.

Mac = Productivity/ease of use/graphic design
*nix = Programming/servers/etc.
Windows = Gaming/business/music production

I had an imac way back in the day, but that had an older version of Mac OS, so I can't really comment on OS X. I never liked it, because it was a really awkward operating system (they've switched kernels completely since then, and almost completely redone the interface, so it's probably not as awkward now).
Uronacid
Windows 7 is right around the corner. *wink*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.