Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IB Diploma Program vs AP
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
lesliewelcomesyou
I needed an updated thingy. . .

Ok, so I'm an Ib Junior. It's my 4th week into the program and I am having some serious doubts about it. Like, for example, I am not at all guaranteed to get the IB diploma. So, why would I want to waste two loong goddamn years of my life trying to attain a diploma that I might or might not get? With AP, it's a LOT less stressful and there's less work. BUUT! What I like about the IB is that it's CHALLENGING! I mean, up until now, I had easy A's, and kinda shaped me into the lazy person that I am today. With the people I know in AP, they have really easy classes. Almost sound like easy A's. Also, AP can improve my GPA, as opposed to IB which can do some serious damage to it. The school of my choice, UF, accepts AP over IB. And, gah! I don't know. I don't even have all my arguments laid out! And time is running out! I need some serious guidance so please help meh!

P.s: I have just about NO choice to BUT to stay in. Apparently, AP classes are full and can't accept any more students. . .Fml. But there's dual enrollment? Maybe. Help. . .?
creole
" You should never take the easy road of life. Challenge yourself. "

If you don't want to be in IB then why the eff are you still in it? Just because someone says you will not get a diploma does NOT mean they will be right. Why don't you just man up and prove to that person that you can show them that they are wrong. You should be glad you're in IB, because last time I checked, it takes a whole shit load and requirements just to be required to apply IB let alone join it.

AP classes only get you credits for college. do yourself a favor and stay in IB, because you will have classes in IB that are GREAT for college. trust me, if someone was hiring you or looking at your application and they see in your records that you were an IB student and you at least TRIED to pass, they will accept you.

i'm sure there are a BUNCH of people who wish they were in this program. shit i wanted to be in it.
datass
IB is great. i'm doing IB right now and even though i moan about it all the time, it actually helps you a lot in preparing for the future. a lot. the extended essay is a great way to practice on research papers, and the CAS system helps you become a much more all-rounded person. so you should stay in IB. and its not about it being easy or not. actually, as long as you dont fail (getting a 4) at TOK and the EE, you wont actually not get your diploma. its pretty hard to fail too, since your supervisors should be helping.
aaayotiffany
ap exams are more about facts and what you're supposed to know. ib is more about how you interpret things and how to make facts and details your own. ap, you have to study, you have to read, you have to know. ib, its more about skill.

i graduated ib two years ago. i definitely understand the part about the hard work. yeah, its a lot of work. it can be extremely stressful. but it doesn't have to be. of course, if you procrastinate, its gonna be bad. it definitely prepared me for college. college now is breeze for me.

the thing with ap is that the classes may be "easy" but there's a lot of reading to it. thats for sure. i took ap united states history and ap world history and i don't think i've ever done so much reading for two classes. ap is great because you do get a lot of college credits from it, a lot more than ib gives you.

but since you had to result to ib, you'll enjoy it. it'll be worth it. and uf looks at more than just your ib/ap scores. i heard it has a lot to with extracurricular activities and the essay portion has a huge affect too.
lesliewelcomesyou
Ahhh, thanks guys. You actually helped me a lot more than my friends, who are also questioning IB. I'll stay in. I mean, after awhile, I thought to myself and Beenly, you are right. It does take a lot to get in. And for that, I should stay in. I guess it WILL help me prepare for college. And I should setr my lifestyle to working hard because, honestly, never in my life have I been faced to do soo much work. Even in Pre-IB, I dodn't get so much homework and/or projects. Like, we had REALLY bad teachers. And when I say bad, I really mean it. Like we learned absolutely nothing! So it's a shock, but I will accustom myself to it.

Once again, thank you guys very much. I hope I won't regret it.
Teesa
^yeah, almost everyone in my ib class did that too. and i don't know why people sometimes think ap is easy or easier because for me, it was just as difficult. but like someone mentioned above, ib definitely makes you more well rounded. cas, ee, and tok may all seem like a pain, but now when i look back at it, they all helped me out.

i'm really glad to hear you're sticking with it. and take ap classes if you can too-it's nice to be able to compare the two. and if you're having any problems, just talk to your ib counselor. mine helped me soo much during a rough time i was going through. don't worry. manage your time well and you'll be able to have a life as well :)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.