Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: salsa
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
brooklyneast05
so does anyone make their own salsa or know of a really good recipe for some? because i been wanting to make my own for a while now.

p.s. i don't like it to be really hot

p.s. again, has anyone made their own tortilla chips?
Just_Dream
I don't really know how to make it all by myself, but I have helped my sister make it in the past. I don't know how much to add, in terms of all the ingredients.

Anyway, we made a simple one, consisting of: tomatoes, onions (regular white ones), lime juice (more tangy than lemon juice!), really spicy red peppers (they're really small, you can omit this), a single green bell pepper, and a bunch of cilantro. MMMm I love the cilantro! You pretty much dice everything up, and just squeeze a bunch of fresh limes for the juice.

In the past, I had some really sweet homemade salsa with corn. Dang, I wish I remembered what else was in in.
smash
^sounds like pico de gallo. which is good and easy to make. i did the same thing except i used jalapenos instead of bell pepper and i didn't use any red peppers.

tortilla chips: all you need is corn tortillas, vegatable oil, and salt. cut the torillas into fourths and set aside. fill a frying pan/ shallow sauce pan about 1/2 - 1 inch with the oil. heat over medium heat. when it's heated thoroughly carefully drop in a few pieces of the torillas. they should sizzle if the oil is hot enough. watch them closely 'cause they'll cook pretty fast, less than a minute. take them out just before they turn golden (they continue to cook even after you take them out) and set on a plate covered with paper towel. sprinkle with salt to taste. i saw Bobby Flay do this. very easy.
brooklyneast05
aren't the chips really thick or something then
karmakiller
The tortilla chips taste way better, and I don't think they are thicker than than store bought, but I haven't had store bought in a while. Sometimes they'll get air caught in them when you're frying... which is the best part. I like to make corn chips, too, in the dehydrator.

Salsa is super easy to make. I don't like hot salsa, so I usually do something like Emeril's tomato salsa recipe here.

There's a ton of different types of salsa and recipes, as evident here: http://www.bestsalsarecipe.net/
superstitious
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Sep 10 2009, 12:20 PM) *
so does anyone make their own salsa or know of a really good recipe for some? because i been wanting to make my own for a while now.
p.s. i don't like it to be really hot
p.s. again, has anyone made their own tortilla chips?

I love salsa. I prefer medium-hot but make both medium-hot and insane-hot batches, since my boyfriend loves spicy salsa.

Do you like pico style or restaurant style? Restaurant styles tends to be more saucy. I like both, but prefer restaurant style (which can easily be done by adding tomato sauce and blending).

I don't use a recipe, since I throw together salsa from ingredients on hand. I did find a recipe that is pretty close to what I do though.

* 8 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
* 2 cups tomato juice
* 1/3 cup sweet onion, very finely diced
* 3 green onions, sliced thin
* 1 garlic clove, minced very fine or run through a press
* 1/3 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
* 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
* 1-2 teaspoon salt, to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 limes, juice of, to taste (or more)
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 pinch sugar

1. Mix all ingredients in large nonreactive bowl. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours. Taste, and readjust seasoning if needed.
2. Enjoy!

I don't use sugar or red wine vinegar. I blend the ingredients then simmer for a while so it's saucy and not just chunky.

Chips are easy. Cut corn tortillas into triangles and fry them in oil (put salt on the chips while they are hot).
brooklyneast05
yeah i duno, i just though they might be thicker becasue corn tortillas seem thicker than chips to me

i need THE BEST
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(superstitious @ Sep 10 2009, 05:04 PM) *
I love salsa. I prefer medium-hot but make both medium-hot and insane-hot batches, since my boyfriend loves spicy salsa.

Do you like pico style or restaurant style? Restaurant styles tends to be more saucy. I like both, but prefer restaurant style (which can easily be done by adding tomato sauce and blending).

I don't use a recipe, since I throw together salsa from ingredients on hand. I did find a recipe that is pretty close to what I do though.
* 8 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
* 2 cups tomato juice
* 1/3 cup sweet onion, very finely diced
* 3 green onions, sliced thin
* 1 garlic clove, minced very fine or run through a press
* 1/3 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
* 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
* 1-2 teaspoon salt, to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 limes, juice of, to taste (or more)
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 pinch sugar

1. Mix all ingredients in large nonreactive bowl. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours. Taste, and readjust seasoning if needed.
2. Enjoy!

I don't use sugar or red wine vinegar. I blend the ingredients the simmer for a while so it's saucy and not just chunky.

Chips are easy. Cut corn tortillas into triangles and fry them in oil (put salt on the chips while they are hot).

i think i like chunkier more than saucy

i might try that one
superstitious
Then you can probably do just what the directions say. :)
gojira
anybody a fan of mango salsa
superstitious
QUOTE(gojira @ Sep 10 2009, 05:37 PM) *
anybody a fan of mango salsa

With cinnamon chips, yes.
brooklyneast05
i've never had mango salsa
gojira
stop living under a rock
superstitious
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Sep 10 2009, 05:38 PM) *
i've never had mango salsa

I can vouch for both of these.

Mango Salsa

* 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled mangoes
* 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
* 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
* 2 tablespoons lime juice
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
* 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger

1. Combine all the ingredients in a glass or plastic container; cover and chill.
2. Enjoy.

Cinnamon Tortilla Chips

7 tortilla chips

* 7 small flour tortillas
* water
* 7 tablespoons sugar
* 3 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Cut the flour tortillas into 6 wedges each. Brush cut edges with water.
3. Sprinkle with a mixture of 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon.
4. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp.
Just_Dream
mmm Mango salsa, sounds like my kind of salsa xmas.gif
smash
did you try it yet?
hi-C
You know what's awesome? Guacamole salsa.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.