Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rap/r&b the new pop
Forums > Community Center > Music
Dark Child
i was watching bet news one night, and this guy said that rap/r&b is the new pop. it's kinda true, and i hate it. i think i first noticed it when lil' jhon came out. he markets his music as "krunk" - whole new genre - but i still say it's rap. and it's not very good rap in my opinion. but people like usher are suddenly gettin hours of airtime on mtv. that's new. so...what do you think? is rap/r&b the new pop.
LiNHy POO
hmm... maybe sooo? i dont hear alot of pop... juss rock, R&B,and rap!!! but lil jon is sooo not crunk!! i dont see him rapping!!!! he doesnt count!!
XxtremeRickyX
defenatly R&B and hip hop not rap are the new pop. Rap is different than hip hop. And for Lil Jon the only reason why he probebly say Yeahhhyaayah is because he got raped at a Jail and he was screaming Yeahhhyaaayah and OKKkk when it happened. Now all the tym he has flashbacks he screams out Yeahhhyaaayah. I don't really like Lil Jon he's fake.
hybrid
Pop singers have R&B & Hiphop influences. Yup.. that's pop culture.
RandomHero
I've noticed a lot of r&b and rap getting a ton of airtime on mtv too. Argf. I cannot stand r&b and rap. hammer.gif but that's just me. And i don't watch mtv that much anymore because of this....What can i say, im a metalhead. haha.
LatinaLady
it could be
but i dont want to say its the new pop.
i always liked r& b
Dark Child
QUOTE(XxtremeRickyX @ Jul 13 2004, 6:11 PM)
defenatly R&B and hip hop not rap are the new pop. Rap is different than hip hop. And for Lil Jon the only reason why he probebly say Yeahhhyaayah is because he got raped at a Jail and he was screaming Yeahhhyaaayah and OKKkk when it happened. Now all the tym he has flashbacks he screams out Yeahhhyaaayah. I don't really like Lil Jon he's fake.

Rap is diff from hip-hop, but I'm asking if both Rap and R&B are the new pop.
yummienoodles
im kinda not sure, but i dont see pop bring played on mtv a lot these days either. all i see is rap and r&b.

i remember a time when britney spears was on mtv like 24/7, and all i heard was pop. pop is still pop but maybe r&b and rap is taking a turn and is gonna be the new pop....who knows...only time could tell
Mr. Psychotic
QUOTE(RandomHero @ Jul 13 2004, 9:13 PM)
I've noticed a lot of r&b and rap getting a ton of airtime on mtv too. Argf. I cannot stand r&b and rap. hammer.gif but that's just me. And i don't watch mtv that much anymore because of this....What can i say, im a metalhead. haha.

same here!!!! i watch MTV2's headbangers ball anytime its on
WTFwasIthinking
actually listen to good rap....... most of the good rap isn't on MTV

most of the stuff that MTV sits all over is some corny MC's who can't spit... other than Hov and Em, EVERYONE including 50, Lil Jon, 90% of the stuff that comes outta the south, and anything that really gets a lotta play is some untalented ass muh'f***as....

none of 'em actually know how to use the art of rhyming
JlIaTMK
not sure.... maybe we never know where it'll lead
ryfitaDF
rap has always been pop.

pop is short for popular. you shouldn't be able to make somthing sound popular. the only way somthing should be popular is if people like it and not a genre of music.
tu sho
^ true
inthemudhole
QUOTE(ryfitaDF @ Jul 14 2004, 6:11 PM)
rap has always been pop.

pop is short for popular. you shouldn't be able to make somthing sound popular. the only way somthing should be popular is if people like it and not a genre of music.

Yeah.
Very true.
I was just gunna say something like that.
WTFwasIthinking
QUOTE(ryfitaDF @ Jul 14 2004, 6:11 PM)
rap has always been pop.

as I said though, real hip hop artist aren't famous....

the rappers that are big are basically puppets of the industry that make songs for the people to want to buy more than make music that they truly feel... wit the exception of Em and Jay, no "talented" MC's really sell

half ya'll don't even know who Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monch, Ras Kass, JR Writer, Kool G Rap, Rakim (mighta heard his name but how much have you heard?), and others are....... those are hip hop artists...

I don't even consider Chingy, Nelly, Lil Flip, and others MC's... they're straight up wack
h22fanatik
ugh i can't stand it when pop singers like britney have songs featuring ex. "the ying yang twins." it's soo f*ckin annoying. pop needs to stay pop and so does hip-hop and r&b.
Dark Child
QUOTE(PENtheINSTRUMENT @ Jul 15 2004, 1:55 AM)
as I said though, real hip hop artist aren't famous....

the rappers that are big are basically puppets of the industry that make songs for the people to want to buy more than make music that they truly feel... wit the exception of Em and Jay, no "talented" MC's really sell

half ya'll don't even know who Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monch, Ras Kass, JR Writer, Kool G Rap, Rakim (mighta heard his name but how much have you heard?), and others are....... those are hip hop artists...

I don't even consider Chingy, Nelly, Lil Flip, and others MC's... they're straight up wack

I like Talib Kweli!
WTFwasIthinking
you got Blackstar or Reflection Eternal? or even Quality? or the Beautiful Struggle Mixtape? or the Beautiful Struggle advance?

Kweli's SICK!
ryfitaDF
QUOTE(h22fanatik @ Jul 15 2004, 8:11 AM)
ugh i can't stand it when pop singers like britney have songs featuring ex. "the ying yang twins." it's soo f*ckin annoying. pop needs to stay pop and so does hip-hop and r&b.

aaw, but i like when artists that sound drasticly different work together. like anthrax and public enemy. or wu tang and rage against the machine. it makes me happy.
xsweetdreams12x
I dunno. Like, it doesn't SOUND like Pop, but a lot of the R&B/Rap/Hip Hop definitely hitting the charts like the old Britney and Xtina songs were in the 90's.
bballchick1
i think that rap & r&b is kinda the new pop because it's what in now..although i loved rap & r&b before it was popular hehe..that's my kinda music!!!!
Mr. Psychotic
QUOTE(PENtheINSTRUMENT @ Jul 15 2004, 2:53 PM)
you got Blackstar or Reflection Eternal? or even Quality? or the Beautiful Struggle Mixtape? or the Beautiful Struggle advance?

Kweli's SICK!

ok how you said that most stuff on MTV is "wack" then why is that "kayne" guy on ur xanga cus i saw him on MTV?

but yeah man rap is all the same (they just talk about sex, drugs, and how racism is every where)
raw_material
i agree with pen the instrument....not every "rap" is wack..well hip hop is totally diff then rap but w/e....pple just like wat makes money...commercial pple out there dont kno about music...wat ever happend 2 good punch lines...i mean come on when u play a song that the best line is "i love you like a fat kid loves cake" i mean come on thats sad...w/e pple play wat gets them "krunk" at clubs..it attracts wack pple..im done cool.gif
glit_gal
yeah i've noticed that a lot, not only on tv but on the radio too. I mean now all radio stations play are mostly hip-hop and r&b and the occasional rock song
xquizit
pop music was very superficial. and now so is rap/r&b... so i guess you could say that... _dry.gif
FireCrossedAngel
QUOTE(Dark Child @ Jul 13 2004, 4:48 PM)
i was watching bet news one night, and this guy said that rap/r&b is the new pop. it's kinda true, and i hate it. i think i first noticed it when lil' jhon came out. he markets his music as "krunk" - whole new genre - but i still say it's rap. and it's not very good rap in my opinion. but people like usher are suddenly gettin hours of airtime on mtv. that's new. so...what do you think? is rap/r&b the new pop.

I love Usher ^_^ And lol, why do so many of you dislike Rap/Hip/Hop/R&B? I luv it... I mean the beats are just so...good cool.gif Like LL Cool J's "Headsprung," Fat Joe's "Lean Back," and Jadakiss ft. Mariah Carey's "You Make Me Wanna"? ...oh man, heh. 100% crunk if ya ask me! *bounces to music* So to moi that type of music is definitely the new pop. *punches Britney* boxing.gif Adios puta!
racegirl24A
yawn.gif rap is so overrated. i cant stand rap, or hip hop, and i dont like R&B that much either. i just cant figure out whats so great and hearing guys talk about sex and drugs throughout the whole thing. and personally, i think the beats are awful. i cringe every time i hear a rap "song" because i hate it pinch.gif and the music videos are horrible, gives women a really bad rep.

not trying to piss anyone off, just giving my opinion flowers.gif
yo pusha
QUOTE(racegirl24A @ Aug 18 2004, 12:07 PM)
yawn.gif rap is so overrated. i cant stand rap, or hip hop, and i dont like R&B that much either. i just cant figure out whats so great and hearing guys talk about sex and drugs throughout the whole thing. and personally, i think the beats are awful. i cringe every time i hear a rap "song" because i hate it pinch.gif and the music videos are horrible, gives women a really bad rep.

not trying to piss anyone off, just giving my opinion flowers.gif

steven ding slaps your kufi off

rap the new pop? pop is popular music. i guess so then. according to soundscan and billboard, sure.
wind&fire
uh no... i hate how punk is pop...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.