Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanting to point this out
Forums > Community Center > Technology
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Apple Inc.)
Since the software on every Mac is created by the same company that makes the Mac itself, you get a completely integrated computer that’s as secure, stable, and powerful as it is elegant and easy to use.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/

Isn't that exactly why Microsoft was brought up on anti-trust laws by the EU? How is Apple getting away with it?
mipadi
I'm no lawyer, but I think to be guilty of having a monopoly, you have to have a monopoly. Apple has, what? 8% market share on a good day? That's hardly enough to control the market.
Jghelfi
hahaha joseph would love to post in this topic.. XD.gif

i still choose PC's over macs..
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(mipadi @ Sep 4 2009, 11:37 PM) *
I'm no lawyer, but I think to be guilty of having a monopoly, you have to have a monopoly. Apple has, what? 8% market share on a good day? That's hardly enough to control the market.

Last stats I saw were from July 07, showed Apple had about 11.3% of the market. I'm not saying Apple has a monopoly, but when they do finally overtake Microsoft (Which I project will be within the next few years), they're going to go through the same shit Microsoft did about the monopoly.
Maccabee
I actually dont understand this...
But why doesnt microsoft do what apple is doing? Make there own hardware and software?
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(jcp @ Sep 4 2009, 11:48 PM) *
But why doesnt microsoft do what apple is doing? Make there own hardware and software?

Because that would not only get rid of all the competition on parts (which would leave microsoft to make parts as low quality and expensive as they want, and it would still strengthen their monopoly on the computer industry), but it would eliminate hundreds of large corporations(along with hundreds of thousands of jobs), and put system builders like me out of business. Now do you want me to lose my only marketable skill?

also it's their, not there.
mipadi
QUOTE(Buttsex @ Sep 5 2009, 12:44 AM) *
Last stats I saw were from July 07, showed Apple had about 11.3% of the market. I'm not saying Apple has a monopoly, but when they do finally overtake Microsoft (Which I project will be within the next few years), they're going to go through the same shit Microsoft did about the monopoly.

Maybe. But the situations are also quite a bit different.

I don't know the specifics of the EU case, but the reason Microsoft was charged with anti-trust violations in the US, and the reason Apple's situation is different, is due to a couple interrelated things:
  1. The problem wasn't so much in Microsoft's bundling of IE with Windows, as it was in the fact that Internet Explorer isn't easily removed from Windows. It was virtually impossible to remove IE from Windows in XP and prior versions; I think the case still holds in Vista, but I'm not sure.
  2. Microsoft is a software manufacturer; Apple is a hardware manufacturer. The problem with Microsoft is that it required OEMs to bundle certain pieces of software with their systems. It probably would've been okay if Microsoft had bundled IE with Windows as long as the OEM could easily strip out IE and replace it with, e.g., Netscape Navigator, but this wasn't the case. Apple, on the other hand, sells complete hardware systems (and at any rate, it's a simple process to remove Apple software from the machine anyway -- just drop it in the Trash).

And the biggest issue was this: Microsoft was using its monopoly to leverage its products in other markets, specifically Internet browsers. There's nothing illegal about having a monopoly per se; the problem is when a company uses that power to stifle competition in unrelated markets. Microsoft would've been fine if they'd had a monopoly in the OS market, but they used their position in the OS market to stifle competition in the Internet browser market, which is an anti-trust violation.

Again, I don't know the specifics of the EU antitrust case, but I think the charges were basically the same, but replace "Internet browser" with "multimedia player". I am also skeptical of the merits of the EU case, given that the EU has a pretty strong bias against American corporations.

Right now, Apple isn't a monopoly in any markets anyway, and I doubt your claim that they'll be the dominant player in the PC market any time soon; but even if they were the dominant player, they'd only be violating anti-trust laws if they used that monopoly to stifle competition in an unrelated market.
Jghelfi
Microsoft is fine on how its going. They (as in they i mean Microsoft) dont need a spot in the market, because if the stock market all of a sudden shuts down, then they would be out of business. Thats one thing that Apple didnt overlook on the day they joined the stock market.

if microsoft ever gets bad in debt, or is near bankruptcy, then they can have the CEO of microsoft, or William Gates help out and donate their money into Microsoft to restore the foundation.
mipadi
QUOTE(-Jon- @ Sep 5 2009, 05:40 PM) *
Microsoft is fine on how its going. They (as in they i mean Microsoft) dont need a spot in the market, because if the stock market all of a sudden shuts down, then they would be out of business. Thats one thing that Apple didnt overlook on the day they joined the stock market.

Uh...well actually, Microsoft is a publicly traded company. You can buy Microsoft stock. It's currently $24.62 a share, in fact.
Jghelfi
oh.. my bad.. haha facepalm.gif
Maccabee
Jon jon jon... facepalm.gif
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(jcp @ Sep 6 2009, 11:06 PM) *
Jon jon jon... facepalm.gif

I'm sure you didn't know that.
superstitious
QUOTE(Buttsex @ Sep 4 2009, 11:44 PM) *
...but when they do finally overtake Microsoft (Which I project will be within the next few years)...

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? (I'm being sincerely curious)
Maccabee
Because he is finally admitting that mac's pwn pc's.
Jghelfi
QUOTE(jcp @ Sep 8 2009, 01:13 PM) *
Because he is finally admitting that mac's pwn pc's.

hahaa you wish, thats why most governmental services use PC's cuz they are more reliable, and easier to navigate through.
rnicron
QUOTE(-Jon- @ Sep 8 2009, 09:37 PM) *
hahaa you wish, thats why most governmental services use PC's cuz they are more reliable, and easier to navigate through.
i wouldn't say that's the exact reason why, tbh. i don't know that reasoning, but i'm sure that's not it.
sixfive
I'm sure it has nothing to do with companies such as Dell or HP fighting to get the governmental contracts. I mean, we all know the government is tight with it's money and never overpays. Then again, the red tape might make previously mentioned companies lower their prices.
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(superstitious @ Sep 8 2009, 02:58 PM) *
Out of curiosity, why do you say that? (I'm being sincerely curious)

Apple is quickly gaining market share over Microsoft. (I mean very quickly, considering how long Microsoft has had 99.99999999999% market.

QUOTE(rnicron @ Sep 9 2009, 03:28 PM) *
i wouldn't say that's the exact reason why, tbh. i don't know that reasoning, but i'm sure that's not it.

It's because most people use Windows, and it would be more expensive to train the entire staff to use this new operating system (even if it's a free one like Linux or BSD) than it would be to continue buying licenses to the one they already use. Same reason for any business, school, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.