Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dear Buttsex and Mipadi
Forums > Community Center > Technology
synatribe
Dear CJ,

I need help with my unloyal computer. The disgusting windows update window keeps reminding me that I'm low on Virtual Memory (whatever the hell that is) and whenever I'm doing something in Photoshop, I keep getting
- Low on RAM or something and my computer freezes and crashes at least twice a day. I think Im out of patients with this stupid computer.

Here is the foreign encryption my computer tells me as far as "specs" Hopefully you could decode it for me and show me some ways to make my comp run faster?

Here is the code:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 4MX 440 with AGP 8x

Whatever that is, it sounds really cool, but I'm sure I'm dealing with a crummy old computer and my comp and I mutually agreed that we are fed up with each other. Hopefully, your knowledge in the field of computers can rekindle the old flame that my computer and I had when I first saw it being connected into the electrical plugs of my room. Please save the 5(?) years of this precious memory for me (although the last year was rough).

I need major intervention.

Best Regards,
Kevin J + Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 4MX 440 with AGP 8x
sixfive
LOL@U
synatribe
QUOTE(serotonin @ Aug 27 2009, 01:17 AM) *
LOL@U

this is THE SADDEST point in my life, please leave me alone stubborn.gif
synapse
512MB RAM

To get anywhere with photoshop you need at least 768.. or even 1204 (1 gig of ram).
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ph.../?promoid=DRHXB

Yes, you can use it with 512.. but increase the ram, and you'll notice a HUGE difference. I've got 2gb of ram here that I'm not using. 240 pin ddr2 compliant with 800mhz and pc2-6400 config..

Time you bought a new pc kevin... or ram.
Uronacid
You're asking CJ to turn a Ford Pinto into a Farrari. You could add some RAM, but it's probably not going to help much considering how old your computer is. The RAM you purchase is going to be super slow. :P
sixfive
A Farrari must be a ghetto Ferrari
Maccabee
You should get tune up utilities 09.
But you need to increase your virtual memory.
Havet used a windows machine in a long time so someone will need to correct me, but right click my computer, properties>advanced>performance>then memory or something> then increase the virtual memory and hit set. It should be at least set to over 800mb.

I dont think the specs are that bad. as I have said before I have gotten a pc with 128mb ram and a 1.3ghz processor with windows xp to boot in 30 secs and do everything instantly.
Tomates
I think you should just pm them.
If anyone, buttsex and mipadi know the most about technology and will help you out more if you just PM one of them
synatribe
QUOTE(tcunningham @ Aug 27 2009, 02:52 AM) *
512MB RAM

To get anywhere with photoshop you need at least 768.. or even 1204 (1 gig of ram).
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ph.../?promoid=DRHXB

Yes, you can use it with 512.. but increase the ram, and you'll notice a HUGE difference. I've got 2gb of ram here that I'm not using. 240 pin ddr2 compliant with 800mhz and pc2-6400 config..

Time you bought a new pc kevin... or ram.

thanks Thomas, I'm considering of getting the HP IQ 500 (good choice? or no?). Thought of getting a Mac, but to lazy to learn a new interface. :]

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Aug 27 2009, 08:16 AM) *
You're asking CJ to turn a Ford Pinto into a Farrari. You could add some RAM, but it's probably not going to help much considering how old your computer is. The RAM you purchase is going to be super slow. :P

Thanks Uronacid, yea, my computer is old cause it was my very first computer I ever got, which explains a lot lol. I remember I had the best computer at the time, ehhhh......

QUOTE(serotonin @ Aug 27 2009, 08:57 AM) *
A Farrari must be a ghetto Ferrari

Why upgrade a dieing Ferrari, might as well get a Lambo

QUOTE(jcp @ Aug 27 2009, 11:34 AM) *
You should get tune up utilities 09.
But you need to increase your virtual memory.
Havet used a windows machine in a long time so someone will need to correct me, but right click my computer, properties>advanced>performance>then memory or something> then increase the virtual memory and hit set. It should be at least set to over 800mb.

I dont think the specs are that bad. as I have said before I have gotten a pc with 128mb ram and a 1.3ghz processor with windows xp to boot in 30 secs and do everything instantly.

Thanks Joseph, I actually did what you pointed out, but the tutorial said for me to not go over 768 MB because Im on 512 MB because I'm using up reserve RAM or something, but thanks ayways :]
QUOTE(Tomates @ Aug 27 2009, 11:35 AM) *
I think you should just pm them.
If anyone, buttsex and mipadi know the most about technology and will help you out more if you just PM one of them

Yea, I thought about doing that, but I was in the middle of an intense debate with myself on whether to get a new comp or not and I needed reassurance from other technology Gods of CB. :] biggrin.gif
Maccabee
Ya, i think the rule is that your virtual memory is supposed to be 1.5 times larger then how much ram you have unless you have over 4gb.
mipadi
It's possible that you may be able to simply buy some more RAM and install it, which might actually help a good deal (especially if using Photoshop). Also, how much hard drive space do you have left? Windows can run into problems if it doesn't have enough space on the hard drive to write out a swap file (the swap file is used by the virtual memory system).
Maccabee
Doesnt windows create a partition for the swap file? So even if the hard drive is ful it doesnt matter? you have a point though.
mipadi
QUOTE(jcp @ Aug 27 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Doesnt windows create a partition for the swap file? So even if the hard drive is ful it doesnt matter? you have a point though.

I don't think so -- at least not by default. (I'm basing this on XP. Maybe Vista creates a partition by default, by I doubt it.)
synatribe
So as Im comtemplating on getting a new computer, I know I need to add in my Adobe products, but is this site reliable? http://oem-software-discount.com/item/?id=1969

I know its a download site and thats why they are so cheap, but has anyone had experience with them? Or can anyone lead to me to reliable, inexpensive retailer of Adobe Products?

(I'm trying to be a good boy and not torrent) :]

Edit

Thanks Mipadi, but how do I check for Hard Drive space?

wait just kidding, it says 9.92 GB left and 66.3 used and 76.3GB capacity
Uronacid
QUOTE(mipadi @ Aug 27 2009, 01:48 PM) *
I don't think so -- at least not by default. (I'm basing this on XP. Maybe Vista creates a partition by default, by I doubt it.)

No it doesn't. The swap file is simply a massive file on the HDD that is used for Virtual RAM.
Maccabee
You need to clear some hard drive space then.
- 16.3GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on flash-based storage devices)

Just use disk cleanup. And get this.
http://www.jgoodies.com/downloads/index.html
Then have it show the 50 largest files on the desktop. You may have things you forgot about or odd system files that need clearing.

Also get ccleaner and have it wipe free disk space. It takes a long time. Then turn it off afterwards.
heyo-captain-jack
No experience with that oem-software-discount site, but it sounds kinda sketchy.

Also, defrag, maybe buy more RAM.

If you want a new computer, budget, and what can you reuse.
synapse
QUOTE(synatribe @ Aug 27 2009, 02:02 PM) *
So as Im comtemplating on getting a new computer, I know I need to add in my Adobe products, but is this site reliable? http://oem-software-discount.com/item/?id=1969

I know its a download site and thats why they are so cheap, but has anyone had experience with them? Or can anyone lead to me to reliable, inexpensive retailer of Adobe Products?

(I'm trying to be a good boy and not torrent) :]
Edit

Thanks Mipadi, but how do I check for Hard Drive space?

wait just kidding, it says 9.92 GB left and 66.3 used and 76.3GB capacity

looks very sketchy.. I wouldn't use it. If I find the student discount site I used for photoshop I'll let you know. ATM, I have no idea what it was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.