Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: college? where too!
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
splendid
alright, so my parents want me to start looking at colleges very briefly - as in just get an idea of what i might be interested in and such.
well, i want to be an orthodontist - and thats a definite. so starting with this, i came across 3 schools
1. Boston University - Boston, MA - $38,440
2. Tufts University - Medford, MA - $40,342
3. Marquette University - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - $29,096

- i really want to stay near home (i live in MA)
- i want to participate in the accelerated dental program (provided at all three) / i want a good chance at dental school
- i want to live in the city
- i want to save as much money as possible!
- i want a nice, clean, close campus
- i want a good experiance

any other college suggestions would be great!
what do you think? what do you know about each?
Tung
i recommend University of Maryland
karmakiller
QUOTE(splendid @ Aug 14 2009, 10:16 PM) *
3. Marquette University - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - $29,096
I've been there, but not as a student. It's a private school that is smaller than you might expect (about 9,000 students) so you'll really get to know people. It's a really nice campus that is quaint, but in the city. They have a really good nursing and law program... and will help you get financial aid. Only thing that sucks is that you'll be far from home and have to deal with really shitty winter weather.
splendid
QUOTE(karmakiller @ Aug 15 2009, 12:01 AM) *
I've been there, but not as a student. It's a private school that is smaller than you might expect (about 9,000 students) so you'll really get to know people. It's a really nice campus that is quaint, but in the city. They have a really good nursing and law program... and will help you get financial aid. Only thing that sucks is that you'll be far from home and have to deal with really shitty winter weather.

is it fun up there? i lovvve boston
karmakiller
^ I don't live that far away. Chicago is pretty close to Milwaukee, too. Milwaukee is really big, so it really depends on the area you'll be... northern Milwaukee has a really bad rep for crime. My mom lives in a different town than I do and her television gets the Milwaukee news. She never watches it because they are talking about the crimes and shootings that are happening. I don't want to scare you, but you should probably know that if you watch the news in Milwaukee the headlines will be about these kinds of things.

Have you looked into the University of Wisconsin - Madison? It's a big ten school, so it's not as small and personal as Marquette, but it's less expensive and Madison is a safer area than Milwaukee. The people on campus are really laid back and kind, and the people of the city are nice. Obviously, it's not a place where people will greet you and say hi, but they will hold the door for you... basically they're not jerks. UW tends to get a rep as a party school, but since it's a bigger school there are things for everyone to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.