Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creating a web layout?
Forums > Resource Center > Webmasters' Corner > Webmasters' Corner Resolved Topics
LAWLZlilz
I don't have dream weaver anymore... I am using mysite.com to create a site and i am in NEED of a layout. A personalized one. I would like to create it but how? Are there generators out there? good ones, I mean. How do YOU create your layouts. what program? Or do y'all just use raw css/html?

please help

- Lily
schizo
Moved to Websmaster's Corner.

Most of us here code things on our own. It's the best way to go since programs and generators can be inaccurate. You may want to find some tutorials on HTML and CSS and start trying to learn. W3schools is a good place to start.
synapse
I've used dreamweaver for more basic, single-paged layouts. However, it can get a little trickier if you wanna go beyond html. Then I prefer using notepad and the frequent testing method.
res8zenith
creating strictly WEB DESIGNS is an easy go for me now..after much much disappointment

don't use these weird programs to build the designs, code them yourself you'll feel better about your finished product/work. i suggest reading up on basic tutorials on coding design, i have a couple of tutorials on different types of WEB designs, you can check them out on my site but seriously, raw html/css is the best advise out there, even if your have no idea what you're doing, taking the first step in making your own designs is better than asking people around, don't rely on generaters since they MAKE you or embed their own codes in your design.

theerinkal
I use GIMP to create the style I want my layout to have, like the banner image and background and such.

Then I use Wordpress to help code the layout and BAM! I'm done.

I'd go to w3schools for coding help. Anything else, I can help you with(: Just PM me.
heyo-captain-jack
I use Photoshop to create the background, and then write the code in Emacs.

I've used generators in the past, but I prefer to work with raw CSS/HTML, just because I can optimize my codes easier.
HeartOfPandora
I make a base in Photoshop, slice it, create my seamless patterns, and code everything myself. The only time I use Dreamweaver is when I want to do rollovers or other stuff I just can't be bothered to do by hand.
YourSuperior
Lately, I've been experimenting with this program called Seamonkey to code my layouts. It's pretty basic, but it does somewhat of a good job. We actually use this program at my college.
synapse
Oh, I forgot to mention. I make a complete mock-up of the layout in photoshop first, then code it piece by piece. Usually in xhtml.
Mikeplyts
QUOTE(tcunningham @ Jul 21 2009, 05:18 AM) *
Oh, I forgot to mention. I make a complete mock-up of the layout in photoshop first, then code it piece by piece. Usually in xhtml.

Same here.

Also, as mentioned earlier, W3 Schools is absolutely great to use to get all the coding down. There are a lot of other sites too that have some more advanced tutorials sort of like Net Tuts+. thumbsup.gif
funride
Wow, people code in some difficult ways.

I just design in Ps 7.o and write my code in notepad.

This tutorial is what got it all down for me.

Then I just browsed at websites looking at some tuff I like and figured out how to do it.

PM me with any questions.

Good luck. :D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.