Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: photoshoot!
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Fashion
goofipinay
I was gonna post this in thew Showcase Booth....but I felt like it'd be all outta place, being all...well fashion-related and what-not.

I sew. I don't really do much graphics or photography anymore...(See date: I was here around 2004, so it's been a while) Well, sewing's still an art right? I don't mass produce anything, and it's all one of a kind...

I had a photoshoot today. My photographer was John Schultz from Beach Photography (and all photos are credited to him/copyrighted to him), and my model's name is Meli. Our hairstylist was Hair by Jennifer...
This was my first shoot, so I didn't really have much to do with the pictures since I didn't know what I wanted =/ But hey, he showed what I made pretty dang well, right?

Well, enough chat, off to the pics!

Zebra print top + Shorts (boy did those shorts give me hell...I had to hand stitch the buttonholes!)
click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Spiderman Dress (I just wanted him to look like he was grabbin boob!)
So these pics aren't that original, but whatev..
click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Abstract Floral Dress (it wasn't supposed to look that way in the front, but I messed up so it's just gathered and not pleated or anything intricate...but I think the back makes it balanced...)
click to enlarge

click to enlarge

What do you think ?? :)
Simba
a fashion designer on cb?
manny-the-dino
Oh wow I like the shorts. And the dress is cute! Keep on sewing and taking pictures. I'd love to see more. nod.gif
none345678
I love the spiderman dress. Can't wait to see more
Simba
so you're a filipina too
goofipinay
thanks manny-the-dino and IWontRapeYou !

QUOTE(ArjunaCapulong @ Jul 19 2009, 02:22 AM) *
a fashion designer on cb?

haha =P
I used to be on here forever ago (04-05) for graphics and layouts then I got lazy making my own and eventually just editing premade ones...
but anyway, I just started sewing last summer, and got serious around January... so, not long,...

QUOTE(ArjunaCapulong @ Jul 19 2009, 03:13 AM) *
so you're a filipina too

definitely =] probably normal for a filipina to sew, huh?
-DressYourEyelids-
I LOVE THE LAST DRESS! I'LL GIVE YOU ONE MILLION DOLLARS FOR IT!
goofipinay
those were quick edits, since i got them a bit after the shoot); I get the real ones whenever I can drive back out to see the photog, haha x[ (I hate not having a car !)

thanks, everyone seems to love that dress; I think it's my personal fave too!

and yea, I'm thinking about doing it, but not when I go to college
I figured I taught myself this past year, so I don't wanna shell out that much money for it, ya know ?
Tomates
i love the last dress
karmakiller
QUOTE(goofipinay @ Jul 19 2009, 11:57 AM) *
but anyway, I just started sewing last summer, and got serious around January... so, not long,...

For not doing this very long, I think it looks wonderful! I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next. And, like everyone else said, the last dress is fabulous.
Shelby-Zu
yaaaaaaaaaaay, im not the only one who sews things on here!! =]
i made a "bear hoodie" haha, with fuzzy ears and stuff on the hood.
and no, i did not just add the ears, i made the whole thing (everyone asks that)

and now i seem to sound like a snob :( :(

and nice work / photos!! A++
love the last dress~
xx
goofipinay
QUOTE(Shelby-Zu @ Jul 20 2009, 11:26 AM) *
yaaaaaaaaaaay, im not the only one who sews things on here!! =]
i made a "bear hoodie" haha, with fuzzy ears and stuff on the hood.
and no, i did not just add the ears, i made the whole thing (everyone asks that)

and now i seem to sound like a snob :( :(
and nice work / photos!! A++
love the last dress~
xx

no, you don't!

yea, I'm damn tired of people thinking I don't make the whole thing of whatever
it's whatev, just keep gettin better and keep making em think it's bought - it just means it looks professional :P
datass
QUOTE(Tomates @ Jul 20 2009, 05:48 AM) *
i love the last dress

the red shorts are sooo tight :O
goofipinay
QUOTE(doughnut @ Jul 20 2009, 12:24 PM) *
the red shorts are sooo tight :O

ahah, those were the 3rd pair I made for her
it gave me hell because I've never used a pattern and I didn't wanna start
so I just made one... the first pair was too small (hip-wise)
the second pair didn't cover enough butt
so when this one actually went over it, I kinda gave up on making another one that's like an inch bigger -.-'
fredatemespleen
ooo i love the spiderman dress. and the floral dress. but especially the shorts!
i sew too but i cant read patterns at all and i've tried making pants/shorts so many times. they always end up too small in one spot and its like impossible to fix. so... you have any tips? :3
goofipinay
QUOTE(fredatemespleen @ Jul 20 2009, 10:11 PM) *
ooo i love the spiderman dress. and the floral dress. but especially the shorts!
i sew too but i cant read patterns at all and i've tried making pants/shorts so many times. they always end up too small in one spot and its like impossible to fix. so... you have any tips? :3

I don't like patterns, they're lame. I've never used them, either.. (I can read em, but I'm too lazy happy.gif)

I dunno what you're talking about (which part you're having a problem with), and since this isn't a sewing forum, I can't really check to see what you've done beforehand (ya know, experience-wise??) so I'm just gonna tell you how straight up, kay? throb.gif

There's two (or three!) ways to do it:

This is how I did it, because I didn't have my model with me to do it the "professional way" (more math-y I suppose)

If you look at your regular shorts, you'll notice that the back panel is a bit bigger than the front panel.

Take your hip measurement (widest part of your butt/hips) and divide by two. Take one OR two inches off one number and add it to the other, so it's not even. The smaller one is the front and the larger one is the back.
(EX: Measurement: 38, divided by two: 19" = Front: 18" Back: 20" OR Front: 17" Back: 21")
Take your waist measurement (where-ever you want the shorts/pants to sit) and do the same.

The crotch for a size 2-8 should be at LEAST 8.5 inches. This is called the rise; you want the curve to be a little deep; I think it's best for it to be deeper than you think, because if it's too loose, then you can still fix it.
The back of the crotch should be more curved, and should be 2" bigger/more curved than the front. This is the norm, it can change depending on how much of a booty you have.

***The crotch area is what makes things bigger and smaller from the waist to the hips...This means you shouldn't have to dart. It's definitely better to have the waist larger than smaller. The crotch area is also responsible for the puckering at the crotch, if that's what's too small. This means your need a deeper curve.

sleeping.gif

This is the way most professionals do it; best way, obviously, for fitting (more measuring)
Look for where the largest part of your hips/butt is.
Measure JUST the front from hip-to-hip. That's your front measurement.
Measure JUST the back from hip-to-hip (same start/stop point). That's your back measurement.

Measure from the top (where you want your shorts to end) to the bottom of your crotch (do NOT curve it around your crotch, just measure it straight up and down! since it's the professional way, well...it's just weird to measure directly on crotch laugh.gif)
Take that measurement, add two inches. That's your rise.

Add another two inches, and that's the back side of the crotch. (Again, two inches is the norm)

***Make sure the curves look like it's actually curving. A slight curve would be too tight for your crotch/booty. The back end would look more like a boxier curve than the front, to accommodate the butt! Also, on some shorts, the back is actually higher on the waist than the front, you could mess around with that, too!

The lazy way; this hasn't worked well for me, for some reason _unsure.gif
Take out your old shorts, and measure them.

***Waistbands suck. It's better to have the shorts/pants higher, that way you can cut it down. Once you have a good reliable pattern (that you made yourself, yay!) then you can start folding the pattern over for the waistband.

Zipper time!
Zippers are tough. I have yet to put it on the crotch area (see how I used buttons?)
I've put a zipper on the side seam, but like my friend said "might not be sexy for boys"
Usually, the opening at the crotch is 4-5"
I've noticed some people using an exposed zipper (since hiding it is what makes it tough)
I've also noticed some people using a corset-crotch (I kinda like it!)
Here are examples of what I'm talking about!

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

I hope it helped w00t.gif
Shelby-Zu
QUOTE(goofipinay @ Jul 20 2009, 09:53 AM) *
no, you don't!

yea, I'm damn tired of people thinking I don't make the whole thing of whatever
it's whatev, just keep gettin better and keep making em think it's bought - it just means it looks professional :P

awwh thank you (:
and it actually IS very very VERY annoying when ppl try and tell me i bought something i made.

to me its like- "no, people actually do have talents like this and some of us CAN make things as delicate and as lovely as this with our own two hands!!"

but i guess youre right. it just means it looks professional :]

should i post pics of my bear hoodie somewhere? =O
I also made a tutu (: with a zebra print waist band aaaaaaaah~ (:

and thanks for the tips with the zipper and everything (: x
PaigeTurner
QUOTE(-DressYourEyelids- @ Jul 19 2009, 10:20 AM) *
I LOVE THE LAST DRESS! I'LL GIVE YOU ONE MILLION DOLLARS FOR IT!

Pfft, hahaha.

I like 'em.
Gypsy Eyes
I like the back of the last dress but the fit on those shorts is terrible. stretch knits, (forgive me if i'm wrong but thats what it looks like) do not work with shorts. The dress second dress's fit is iffy too. Are you draping these using a form or just estimating?
goofipinay
QUOTE(Gypsy Eyes @ Jul 22 2009, 07:12 PM) *
I like the back of the last dress but the fit on those shorts is terrible. stretch knits, (forgive me if i'm wrong but thats what it looks like) do not work with shorts. The dress second dress's fit is iffy too. Are you draping these using a form or just estimating?

Corduroy, no stretch; it sucked
And actually stretch knits work for shorts if they're the right kind...jersey, for example could work for yoga shorts / harem shorts / pretty much the comfy kinds (yay! those are easier! hah)

And yea, I never met the model before, sooo that was tough (ugh!)
Worked on a dress form; she's actually way smaller than my dress form,... =/
Gypsy Eyes
Ugh seriously? Knit shorts are so tacky haha.

Call the model if you dont meet up before hand and get the measurements, thats what I do.
goofipinay
QUOTE(Gypsy Eyes @ Jul 23 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Ugh seriously? Knit shorts are so tacky haha.

Call the model if you dont meet up before hand and get the measurements, thats what I do.

Knit shorts aren't tacky if you do em right
Jersey knit's the best as long as it's a dark color

Doesn't matter if the measurements are given, cause that model told me her measurements, and it was WRONG. It kinda pissed me off that she's een modeling for like a year and didn't know her own measurements...

like...she said her measurements were 32-26-35
but they're actually 31-24-36...
fredatemespleen
aaagh thank you. ima have to print that out and save it cause i've wasted so much fabric trying to make shorts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.