Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: private or public high school?
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
splendid
i went to public through 8th grade, and i just finished my first year at a catholic/private school (freshman year).
i actually liked it a lot more! what do you guys think?
manny-the-dino
I've been attending private school my whole life (Kindergarten - high school). I go to a Cal State university now so I can't really say which I like better. But I've always wondered what it'd be like to attend a public school. Like is it really that different?
Meimiko
I went to a private preschool but I don't remember much. K-12 has been public school. I think it would be kinda cool to go to a private high school for a year but I kinda feel like it would be a little more strict or something.
Mikeplyts
<---- cannot afford private school. mellow.gif

I go to public school. :D Idk, I think I like public school more. Less strict (imo), no dress code (where I live), and it's a really diverse place where we get to curse at the teachers (again, where I live). victory.gif
pandemonium
QUOTE(Mikeplyts @ Jul 18 2009, 01:56 AM) *
<---- couldn't cannot afford private school. mellow.gif
I go went to public high school. :D

it was cool
Maccabee
neither
heyo-captain-jack
both
Maccabee
next poster is gay
heyo-captain-jack
whale dikc
Maccabee
wo...... hlast time i sed dat did u cay kcid halew cuz i had a dayja vu. glimpse futa.

i need to harnec diz power
heyo-captain-jack
huh

wat yu doin
Maccabee
i folo u u c?
heyo-captain-jack
stil odn get it
Maccabee
heyo-captain-jack
1337 inded
Maccabee
IS THIS GOING TO BE FOREVER
GIMEMYBENEDRYL
heyo-captain-jack
wat gong to b forevr
Janette
Private school until college. I don't mind private school, only if they're co-ed though.
creole
I' have only been in private school for pre k.
My parents couldn't afford me to go to Private school from K-12, so I went to public school.

I think there is a difference in the learning process though. And the foods at private school do taste much better. Also, there are less fights than public school.

I prefer public school because I think it's fun. Some people judge me for going to public school, but who cares about what they say? You aren't paying for my bills? You're not special just because you go to a private school. Many smart talented famous people have graduated from public schools. For me, in public school, you just need to do your education job, and stay away from drama, even though people want you in on the pressure. Don't have too many friends, because some of them are either using you or want you closer as an enemy.
datass
private school all my life
none345678
Public school all my life.

I like it. It's easier to get with the teachers there.
-DressYourEyelids-
public.
the school was alright. we got to skip so much. the drugs are complete crap though. we only had the cheap stuff, y'know...pot n' such. those rich private school kids had all the good shit.

i'm just expressing the mentality of most of my fellow pupils. god, i wish i could have gone to private school.
Maccabee
May I redirect you to
splendid
i think there is a huge difference from my old school (public) and my new school (private)

its obviously much more strict, i wear a uniform, the education is clearly more challenging..
no fights, much more conceited people.. yaa know?
iExquisite
i go to a private school.. too much expectations && rules
the only thing god about it is the high education you are getting
res8zenith
public anyday over private
sixfive
PRIVATE PARTS KEKEKEKEKEKEK
res8zenith
QUOTE(serotonin @ Jul 21 2009, 02:47 PM) *
PRIVATE PARTS KEKEKEKEKEKEK

..................... _dry.gif izsum1gaybuthiding?
splendid
the only thing i hate it about private school is obviously the money..
i love having a uniform + discipline.
buying books SUCKS.
its like going to cheap college, i guess. wicked prep
iExquisite
QUOTE(splendid @ Jul 21 2009, 05:04 PM) *
the only thing i hate it about private school is obviously the money..
i love having a uniform + discipline.
buying books SUCKS.
its like going to cheap college, i guess. wicked prep

our textbooks are free. we don't pay for it
Mikeplyts
QUOTE(iExquisite @ Jul 21 2009, 02:31 PM) *
i go to a private school.. too much expectations && rules
the only thing god about it is the high education you are getting

i find it hard to believe you. mellow.gif
dosomethin888
I went to two private high schools and one public high school. I guess I was a high-school hopper. I liked all but one of them. I didnt have to buy my books at the any of them. I had dress codes at all of them but one of the private schools made us wear skirts and we had to tuck our shirts in. That kinda sucked.
angelsdiss
I've gone to public schools all my school years, but when term starts up again I'm going to go to online schooling. It seems pretty cool.
iExquisite
QUOTE(Mikeplyts @ Jul 22 2009, 05:47 PM) *
i find it hard to believe you. mellow.gif

why is that?
splendid
yeah, here are my uniforms..

everyday! only choice we have are white/blue button up, brown/black leather belts, brown/black leather shoes
all clothing bought through the school so everyone was like, identical.
girls = tights. EVERYTHING TUCKED IN!
i'm in top right!
DoubleJ
I have always gone to private schools. I find that the education level is a bit higher there and they also have a lot more to offer as far as extra curricular activities go, than the public schools do.
mipadi
I went to public high school, but my experiences at a private college made me re-think whether I'd send my kids to public school. I don't think I would -- at least not for high school. The public school system in the US is broken and is more about babysitting than education.

I would not send my kids to a religious private school, though, only a secular private school.
tokyo-rose
I went to a "privlic" school for four years, then transferred out to a public high school. What I mean by "privlic" is that the only way to get into Hunter College High school is by getting a certain score on the admissions exam, and there's no way to get in after the sixth grade. The school goes from the seventh to twelfth grade.
cHoCoLaTe_cHiP_cOoKiE
i've been going to a secular private school for my entire life....but i've always wondered how public school would be like.
none345678
QUOTE(cHoCoLaTe_cHiP_cOoKiE @ Apr 13 2010, 07:02 PM) *
i've been going to a secular private school for my entire life....but i've always wondered how public school would be like.

Every guy shows there penis all the time, and if you are a girl you will be raped at least once. There are also giant cokes and sex partys (actually it's just Adderall since kids who go to public schools are too poor for coke.)
Blyat
compared to a private school

Kids talk publicly about their drugs and drinking habits
tongue.gif
heyo-captain-jack
Having gone to both public and private (religious, there are no secular ones around here) high school, I can tell you that public is the better choice. The quality of education is often just as high, if not higher than at private school, and you're paying for it anyway (as taxes pay for public education).
andrewexd
i always thought private schools were filled with academic robots who are socially inept and have dedicated their lives to their parents wishes of med/law/engineering/ibanking.

just kidding... kind of. anyways I wish we had uniforms because I hate picking clothes in the morning...
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(andrewexd @ Apr 25 2010, 12:42 AM) *
i always thought private schools were filled with academic robots who are socially inept and have dedicated their lives to their parents wishes of med/law/engineering/ibanking.

no, it's not all academic robots, just a bunch of kids with rich parents.
Blyat
definitely rich parents

I went for a year or 2
filled with rich parents that spoiled their kids
one kid (5 years old or so..) that had a birthday like a f*cking sweet 16 kid would have
arghrawr
Ha, I attend what Cristy would consider a "privlic" high school. But technically, it's a public high school. I think the opportunities I get there are on level, if not better than private schools here, simply because my school is competitive and large (nearly 5,000 students). But in most cases, I suppose private schools would be the better choice.
synapse
I don't know, I've gone to public schools since 2-current... first grade I went to catholic school, I don't remember enough, but it was the same education plus mass in the mornings...

I will relate a story a friend of mine told me.

private school(nonreligious) > public school > private school(religious) > boarding school
Tomates
i've been to both. However i really like public schools much more. I was really young when i went to a private school so i don't know how well my opinion is. The kindergarten there, i felt like was always play time and such. I mean i guess i don't really remember much, i always remember just feeling i was playing more than learning. However the hot lunches were a lot better.
99balloons
I went to a private high school.
I didn't think there was any real difference in the curriculum until I spent a little while at a public school and realized, "Holy shit, they weren't kidding."
Apparently public school AP classes were just normal classes at my school.
Lots of spoiled kids with rich parents, for sure; but I think the advanced curriculum was well worth it.
I've always been a so-so student, and I placed surprisingly high on my college placement exam.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(sourire @ May 9 2010, 04:35 PM) *
Ha, I attend what Cristy would consider a "privlic" high school. But technically, it's a public high school. I think the opportunities I get there are on level, if not better than private schools here, simply because my school is competitive and large (nearly 5,000 students). But in most cases, I suppose private schools would be the better choice.

Stuyvesant? Eww, Hunter's sworn enemy! :P I think Hunter's harder and more "privlic" than Stuy because you can only take the admissions exam in sixth grade, start in seventh grade, and can't get in after that. I don't know what it's like to transfer out of Stuy, but at Hunter, you can't resume being a student there once you've left for another school. I'd also say the same re: Hunter > NYC's public specialized high schools, at least in the humanities, since I know Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, and Brooklyn Tech are better for math and science. But Hunter teaches you how to write well, and you need to write at a certain level to get in at all (if you pass the multiple choice but fail the essay, you're denied admission), so it's great for knowing how to write well in college.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.