Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: positioning embeded .swf file
Forums > Resource Center > Support Center > MySpace Support > Myspace Resolved Topics
OCSpersonel
okay, iv gotten this far:myspace.com/fiftyfivethreads

but i need to center my countdown timer in the middle so its proportional to the rest of the header. preferably fix the positioning like the 50% trick you guys showed me before
CODE

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" height="180" width="800">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3184/countdown.swf" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" src="http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3184/countdown.swf" height="180" width="800" wmode="transparent" />
</object>

OCSpersonel
alright thanks dude, ill try that and get back here.

just out of curiosity, if i made a div profile, but the layout gets messed up in different browsers, whats the codes to adjust for each browser, like mines made for firefox, but i need to do some minor positioning for safari and ie, thanks
OCSpersonel
aight i gotcha, so heres the problem, im in profile 2.0, and the div works, but no matter what values i put where, it stays on the same spot, in the center of the page

this is where my css is at right now:
CODE
div.basicInfoModule {padding-top:580px;}
.topbanner {position:absolute; top:200px; left:50%; margin-left:-480px; }
div.countdown {position:absolute; left:50%: top:0px; margin-left:0px; width:800px; height:180px; z-index:1;}
div.interestsModule h4 {display:none;}
div.blurbsModule h4 {display: none;}

iv played with the top and margin-left codes but no luck.
and the second part is exactly how you put it, in my about me, under my topbanner div
OCSpersonel
No worries, i compromised and put it in my about me, only got 2 days left with it anywase.

thanks for trying and helping me though :)
fixtatik
to make a div in 2.0, use this to hide the profile:
CODE
#googlebar, .global, #topnav .photo, .basicInfoDetails, .detailsModule, .activityMiniFeedModule, .blurbsModule h3, .blurbsModule h4, .friendSpaceModule, .commentsModule, #footer { display:none; }
.content { visibility:hidden; }
.blurbsModule { visibility:visible; }

after that, you can add CSS codes as you normally would for a div, and put all the HTML in your "about me" section. just be aware you won't be able to use IDs to identify elements, only classes. no idea why it's like that, since on profile 2.0 you're allowed to use the # symbol in CSS.

if you want your friends and comments to show up, delete ".friendSpaceModule, .commentsModule," from the code. also, if you're worried about your profile getting deleted, remember to add in the "report abuse," "safety," "privacy," and "terms" links, since the code to hide your profile also hides those (#footer).
OCSpersonel
WOW you are awesome. i tried to refer someone to you through here a couple of weeks ago, not sure if it worked. but thanks so much dude

that div code hids my entire profile right?

and the _margin-left:xxxpx code is to fix in IE, will it fix Safari as well?
fixtatik
the thing with positioning, if you follow web standards in building a layout, you shouldn't need to use CSS hacks for cross-browser compatibility. IE's still the least web standards compatible, but it's getting there, and positioning is the least of its problems. people usually need CSS hacks for IE because they end up throwing in some wild code that just barely works in other browsers (something like a child of a child of a child of an element moving into another child).

keep it simple, and it'll always work.
OCSpersonel
yah, i have a couple more questions about the positioning but i will ask in another thread
Mickey
Topic closed & moved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.