Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: advice for the new vegan?
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
-DressYourEyelids-
i have been a practicing vegetarian for about three years now, and though i buy free range eggs and organic milk i realize these animals are still being exploited. i have recently made the decision to ease myself into veganism. i was wondering if their were any practicing vegans out there with advice or recipes for the newbie.

also, is it necessary to start purchasing and taking supplements [b12, calcium, iron, etc] or can i still get those nutrients from a carefully planned, nutritious diet?

heyo-captain-jack
You wouldn't need to take suppliments, but I suggest that you do. Eat lots of nuts, bread, and other things rich in what you would miss out on.
schizo
My friend's a vegan and she doesn't take any supplements. She just eats a lot of fruit and nut bars (I think they're Kashi?) and protein bars. I don't know if she's technically healthy or not, but she doesn't look emaciated or anything. I say just try a certain diet first and if it doesn't work out, take supplements.
-DressYourEyelids-
^^ i think that's what i'll do. i mean, i'm already halfway there; the next step shouldn't be too difficult at all.
bars probably aren't the healthiest. processed food is crap, so i no touchy.
Tomates
just one thing i want to say NOT to object with you...however if a cow goes un-milked it becomes painful for the cow and can die.

However i commemorate you for being a vegetarian. I dont think i could last too long
none345678
I would suggest taking calcium and protein supplements.
PINAYSTER
well i took nutrition class and my teacher specifically said that vegans would be short in many nutrients..
take those supplements that you mentioned and you would be just fine!
-DressYourEyelids-
QUOTE(Tomates @ May 21 2009, 10:37 PM) *
just one thing i want to say NOT to object with you...however if a cow goes un-milked it becomes painful for the cow and can die.

However i commemorate you for being a vegetarian. I dont think i could last too long

yes, but just like humans, cows don't have to be lactating their entire lives. it's only because of humans that these animals are put in such an unnatural state.
fire
karmakiller
^ Haha, that's mean!
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(fire @ May 22 2009, 05:37 AM) *

This koala is delicious!
illriginal
BRB Eatin deer meat stew. laugh.gif
rnicron
advice?

don't eat meat.
illriginal
Uh make sure to take some vitamins... don't end up lookin like one of those people from Schindler's List ermm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.