Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Testing out of high school
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
fredatemespleen
I'm thinking about testing out of high school next year for a couple big reasons, but i wanted to see if anyone here tested out? and what your views on it are.
also, how should i go about asking my parents/persuading them to let me?
hi-C
You mean getting your GED? It has a bunch of negative connotations, but a lot of celebrity teens do it to free up their time to work.
fredatemespleen
yea. well nothing on the site said anything about a GED. It just says "you will recieve a Certificate of Proficiency, which by state law is equivalent to a high school diploma" so I wasn't sure if it was a GED or not.

And I know about the negatives, but high school is just so hard for me...
illriginal
Believe it or not... a few of my friends actually dropped out at 10th grade and went straight for their GEDs just so they could go to college asap. I shit you not, they believe it's a loop hole in the system and that highschool is nothing where college is where it all counts. And guess what? lol They're making some really good money.

So.. to answer your question, I, myself, have not. I went ahead and got my diploma. But if I were in your shoes, I would do it, ONLY if you plan to go to college.

If you think highschool is too hard... then this would not be a viable option.
fredatemespleen
yea of course I'm going to college.
It's not that the work in high school is hard, it's the people and set-up. i have anxiety disorder and get panic attacks which make it difficult to function in class. Its either this or homeschooling, which if my parents don't go for this, they'll probably go for that since its not as extreme.
hi-C
Hm. Well in your case, definitely the GED.
Tomates
a kid at my school apparently recently got a GED. But a lot of people said its better to just graduate than get a GED.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.