Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: College Opportunity
Forums > Community Center > Debate
Pages: 1, 2
BamBamBoogie
Should there be a tuition for college? Some say that it discriminates against those who lack opportunities and financial stability. While others say it prepares you for a society where nothing is free. What do you say?
shoryuken
skooll 4 fuu
hypnotique
I feel you should be accepted into college based on actual talent or gift in the field of study you want to persue.

And then maybe some sort of minimal fee kinda like how it was K-12.
30,000+ a year is bullshit and half the time alums dont even get a job afterwards.
freeridefight
QUOTE(hypnotique @ Apr 10 2009, 10:02 PM) *
I feel you should be accepted into college based on actual talent or gift in the field of study you want to persue.

And then maybe some sort of minimal fee kinda like how it was K-12.
30,000+ a year is bullshit and half the time alums dont even get a job afterwards.

Agreed. Wtf is the point if youre going to require additional training or not even get looked at until you have some experience somewhere.

Thank God my college is 12,000 a year.
angelle
If you get into Standford and your family income is less than 150k per year, they'll pay for all of your expenses (:
-SoDifferent
It sucks for people if they don't have the money and have to struggle with student loans and all those expenses.
illriginal
Education should definitely be free. If they don't want to make schools like Yale and Harvard free, then make city colleges and state universities free stubborn.gif
firechild
all education should be free (or as close to as possible)
one of my friends can't get into college because he doesn't have the money.
(he was going to go to juliard)

shoryuken
alll yall bunchaa DOOCH.. stubborn.gif
freeridefight
QUOTE(PrinceGonnaChokeaBEECH @ Apr 12 2009, 06:19 PM) *
alll yall bunchaa DOOCH.. stubborn.gif

this coming from a guy who looks like Jenny Shimizu in his picture.
Uronacid
It cost me 30,000 for college, and it was an investment. I Graduated and I busted my ass to find a JOB. I got one, and I'm happy. It was well worth the investment. I think that many people go to college with the idea that they'll immediately get a job afterward. Let me tell you, if you're not passionate about what you're going to college for then you're wasting your money. f*ck liberal arts.
brooklyneast05
if i went for anything other than art, i'd be wasting my money.
illriginal
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 13 2009, 06:34 PM) *
It cost me 30,000 for college, and it was an investment. I Graduated and I busted my ass to find a JOB. I got one, and I'm happy. It was well worth the investment. I think that many people go to college with the idea that they'll immediately get a job afterward. Let me tell you, if you're not passionate about what you're going to college for then you're wasting your money. f*ck liberal arts.

Seriously.. luckily I've always loved computers, well since back when I was 13 years old. Otherwise I'd probably hate the crap I do. And it's true what they say, if you love what you do, then you're really not working. Honestly the jobs I've done have been nothing more to me but getting paid for doing a hobby _smile.gif
shoryuken
QUOTE(freeridefight @ Apr 13 2009, 05:58 PM) *
this coming from a guy who looks like Jenny Shimizu in his picture.

lol nooo evinn cluss NUB..

tryy akkain aarite rolleyes.gif

stopp lookenn moi PIC n git u handd outta u pant FAAG stubborn.gif
BamBamBoogie
Just a thought: Do you all think that if college was free people would take it for granted and not try as hard and/or appreciate the education as much as they would have had they been required to pay a tuition?
illriginal
QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Apr 13 2009, 11:28 PM) *
Just a thought: Do you all think that if college was free people would take it for granted and not try as hard and/or appreciate the education as much as they would have had they been required to pay a tuition?

If the change was made right now in this very moment? I think every poor person would honestly try their hardest, same with the rich bastages... but ya it really depends. I mean there's countries like Dominican Republic where education is 100% free and the recent generations have been taking advantage of it now that their economy is doing a little better compared to the last decades.

But yes, generally people who actually have to pay for something would try their hardest not to eff up, while people who get it free more than likely would take it for granted over time. It's more on a personal/individual level.
brooklyneast05
well, i duno. just a thought but maybe there could be a standard for being free. for instance, i don't sit around that much and think i need to make the money worthwhile, because i'm not really paying much. the school is paying me to be there. so it being my money isn't an incentive for me. however, not losing my scholarship is. so maybe it could be free if you maintain over a certain grade point? then as long as you were willing to work hard, you can get your education with little cost. if you aren't going to work hard and get the grades and go to class, then you can pay for it yourself.
sixfive
^deterrence from failure!
BamBamBoogie
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 13 2009, 11:54 PM) *
so maybe it could be free if you maintain over a certain grade point? then as long as you were willing to work hard, you can get your education with little cost. if you aren't going to work hard and get the grades and go to class, then you can pay for it yourself.

Basically you're somewhat agreeing with the current financial system for college, am i correct? You're saying that its free if you have the grades. But that's basically the same as getting a scholarship because you have to maintain a certain GPA to keep it.
mipadi
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 13 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Why the resentment towards liberal arts? Back during the Renaissance, when universities were getting started, liberal arts was the curriculum.

And what if someone's passionate about something in the humanities? Even though my degree's in computer science, I was a lot happier when I was studying English. Somebody's gotta write; somebody's gotta produce art.
Uronacid
QUOTE(mipadi @ Apr 15 2009, 11:00 PM) *
Why the resentment towards liberal arts? Back during the Renaissance, when universities were getting started, liberal arts was the curriculum.

And what if someone's passionate about something in the humanities? Even though my degree's in computer science, I was a lot happier when I was studying English. Somebody's gotta write; somebody's gotta produce art.

If someone is passionate about something in the humanities that's one thing, however I find that a large percentage of students heading down "libral arts" lane are only doing it because they don't know what to do with themselves. They just aren't passionate about anything.

QUOTE(illmortal @ Apr 13 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Seriously.. luckily I've always loved computers, well since back when I was 13 years old. Otherwise I'd probably hate the crap I do. And it's true what they say, if you love what you do, then you're really not working. Honestly the jobs I've done have been nothing more to me but getting paid for doing a hobby _smile.gif

You get what I'm saying. You loved something and made a career out of it. This is exactly what I did. Whether it be humanities, computers, or biology it doesn't matter. You've got to be passionate about what you do. :)

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Apr 13 2009, 11:54 PM) *
well, i duno. just a thought but maybe there could be a standard for being free. for instance, i don't sit around that much and think i need to make the money worthwhile, because i'm not really paying much. the school is paying me to be there. so it being my money isn't an incentive for me. however, not losing my scholarship is. so maybe it could be free if you maintain over a certain grade point? then as long as you were willing to work hard, you can get your education with little cost. if you aren't going to work hard and get the grades and go to class, then you can pay for it yourself.

I love this idea.
Superase
College should be free!
I'm right now at a community college because I can't afford to attend a public four year university.
The prices that you have to pay not just for your class but for your books is crazy!
I live in Georgia now and they've just changed the financial aid (HOPE) that if you did not graduate high school from Georgia you have to wait two years to get any sort of money. Where just a couple of months ago you only had to be here a year. In June I'll be a resident of Georgia and i will not get any money because I graduated in Florida.
So I've had to apply for FAFSA, and hope that i'm poor enough to get a good amount of money to pay for some of my classes.
If college was free do you know how many people would attend...alot. Do you know what that would do to our society...maybe make us smarter.
Uronacid
QUOTE(Superase @ Apr 23 2009, 08:58 AM) *
If college was free do you know how many people would attend...alot. Do you know what that would do to our society...maybe make us smarter.

more people attending college != smarter society
kryogenix
All education needs to be privatized. Public education is a sinkhole for taxpayer money.
Uronacid
QUOTE(kryogenjx @ Apr 23 2009, 03:59 PM) *
All education needs to be privatized. Public education is a sinkhole for taxpayer money.

This makes sense, if they privatized public education then schools would be encouraged to be better. The schooling system wouldn't recieve money based upon the quantity of students. Instead, parents would send their children to a school for quality edjucation and spend their money else-where if their children weren't learning.
ley
College being free would help a lot of people out. My parents paid
my tuition for my first major, and after that it has been all me.
I think i work harder knowing that if i dont go to classes im
wasting my own time and money. I think if the goverment did increase financial aid because lets face it college will never be free, then their should be a catch. You should be required to maintain ur grades and finish your degree or suffer some sort of consequence.
Uronacid
QUOTE(leyvacu @ Apr 23 2009, 04:25 PM) *
wasting my own time and money. I think if the goverment did increase financial aid because lets face it college will never be free, then their should be a catch. You should be required to maintain ur grades and finish your degree or suffer some sort of consequence.

That's a good compromise. I believe this is the way it should be.
batman
^ ... isn't that just the same idea as a scholarship?
Uronacid
QUOTE(heartquasm @ Apr 23 2009, 06:18 PM) *
^ ... isn't that just the same idea as a scholarship?

no
kryogenix
QUOTE(leyvacu @ Apr 23 2009, 04:25 PM) *

Impossible. There is no such thing as free tuition. SOMEONE is paying the bill. If not you, then other taxpayers.

How is this fair?

Not to mention, once inner city kids start failing to maintain their grades, people are going to start screaming racism, or that they need more funding... anything as an excuse for their shortcomings.
batman
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Apr 23 2009, 06:27 PM) *
no

tuition money based on maintaining a certain GPA ... sounds like an easy as shit scholarship with no prerequisite.

and i agree with james.

QUOTE(Superase @ Apr 23 2009, 08:58 AM) *
College should be free!

Shitty example, but here goes... if cars were free, you know how many people would go out and get some cars? A lot. Oh wait, but then who's gonna pay for the cost of the cars? Who's gonna make the cars for free?

As horrible as it might sound, education is a commodity. You're paying for the value of your degree.

If college was free, more people would want to attend, but less people would be accepted to cover for costs. The quality of professors, programs, etc will go down. Taxpayer dollars will go up. How is this any better?
illriginal
Free education is the way to go mellow.gif
karmakiller
^ Free education would be nice, but I don't think any (good) professors would be willing to work for free... and like most people are saying if the person who is attending and directly benefiting from being in college is not paying for it then tax payers will.
illriginal
lol Yes it's free to the student but in reality the school and all the employees are funded by the tax payers. I don't mind that at all, heck in fact I wish I was given a list of things that I could choose to pay taxes on, that way I'm supporting the things I want to prosper happy.gif
ley
QUOTE(kryogenjx @ Apr 23 2009, 09:43 PM) *
Impossible. There is no such thing as free tuition. SOMEONE is paying the bill. If not you, then other taxpayers.

How is this fair?

Not to mention, once inner city kids start failing to maintain their grades, people are going to start screaming racism, or that they need more funding... anything as an excuse for their shortcomings.

I believe i did say college will "never" be free, and exactly my point
people blame they're "shortcomings" on others..this is simply unacceptable
they should be held accountable for they're lack of responsibility.
-DressYourEyelids-
i'm just going to assume that all of you posting here in this thread are american. i was just wondering what the average tuition fee is for college/university over there.
ley
I would have to say on average about an arm and a leg.
BamBamBoogie
QUOTE(leyvacu @ May 9 2009, 01:33 PM) *
I would have to say on average about an arm and a leg.

lol

QUOTE(DressYourEyelids @ May 8 2009, 09:46 PM) *
i'm just going to assume that all of you posting here in this thread are american. i was just wondering what the average tuition fee is for college/university over there.

I'd say about $15-$20k/semester on average
mipadi
QUOTE(DressYourEyelids @ May 8 2009, 09:46 PM) *

It can vary a lot, based on whether the school is a public, semi-public, or private school. You might be able to go to a public school for as little as $10,000/year; a semi-public school might $15,000-$20,000/year; and a private school can be around $35,000-$50,000/year. This generally includes room & board, too, since most US students live in dorms at schools. At my undergrad institution, a year of school with room & board was about $48,000/year.

But most US students also don't bear that cost themselves. Most get some form of financial aide from the federal and state governments, and from the school itself. For example, I only paid about $8000-$12,000/year to attend college; the rest came from a scholarship given to me by the school. Private schools generally have a much higher ability to award scholarships than public or semi-public schools, since they usually have wealthier alumni donating money to the school.

Finally, there are also community colleges, which are small local schools that some students go to. Those can cost as little as a few thousand dollars a year, but you usually can't get anything above an associate's degree at community colleges. (I don't know if they have associate's degrees in other countries. In the US, an associate's degree represents 2 years of study, a bachelor's degree represents 4 years, a master's degree represents about 6 years, and a doctorate represents anything above about 8 years of study; some doctorate programs take as much as 11 years beyond undergrad in the US.)

As you can see, higher education is very much a business in the US. _unsure.gif
sixfive
My schooling is somewhere around $22,000/year including room/board. Local community colleges cost about 800/semester, plus another 300 or so for books. Sell them back and you spend a little under $2,000 / year at community college.
kryogenix
QUOTE(leyvacu @ May 7 2009, 12:44 PM) *
I believe i did say college will "never" be free, and exactly my point
people blame they're "shortcomings" on others..this is simply unacceptable
they should be held accountable for they're lack of responsibility.

So who's going to hold you accountable for your atrocious command of the english language?
-DressYourEyelids-
holy shit. are you f*cking serious?
the average tuition fee for university in canada is $4,524 per year. [mine is about 5,500 per year]
and students across the country are protesting to get the price lowered still :/
Uronacid
QUOTE(DressYourEyelids @ May 14 2009, 08:22 AM) *
holy shit. are you f*cking serious?
the average tuition fee for university in canada is $4,524 per year. [mine is about 5,500 per year]
and students across the country are protesting to get the price lowered still :/

LOL, you guys have it easy. Here in NY it's like $10,000 a year.
batman
my university is private and costs close to 50k/year. -_-

oh well. opportunities + connections + location... worth it, imo.
hypnotique
I miss Ireland cry.gif cry.gif

Idk its a struggle for me cause i come from no money nor did my parents save up for me and I have no connections.

But idk im still a fan for more promotion of trade schools and less of the whole "you need a degree to be someone" bullshit.
-DressYourEyelids-
QUOTE(hypnotique @ May 15 2009, 11:30 PM) *
But idk im still a fan for more promotion of trade schools and less of the whole "you need a degree to be someone" bullshit.

i agree. degrees and diplomas are overrated. despite having a doctor with diplomas on the walls from the finest medical institutes, he still manages to misdiagnose, be a prick, be a quack, ect, ect.

batman
^ You're a complete idiot if you think that having a diploma from a prestigious university makes someone infallible. That comes with the whole "being human" deal. A "doctor" with no diplomas will also manage to misdiagnose, be a prick, etc, etc. And, personally, I feel safer in the hands of somebody with a degree.
-DressYourEyelids-
QUOTE(kaijubot @ May 16 2009, 12:36 PM) *
^ You're a complete idiot if you think that having a diploma from a prestigious university makes someone infallible.

i'm confused. i know you're trying to contradict me [somehow], but you're just restating what i said. and no where did i say that i thought having "a diploma from a prestigious university makes someone infallible". in fact, i implied quite the opposite.
batman
way to not read the rest of the post.

i'm saying that even though people with degrees sometimes make mistakes, they're far less likely to than someone who doesn't have a degree.
-DressYourEyelids-
QUOTE(kaijubot @ May 16 2009, 12:58 PM) *
way to not read the rest of the post.

i'm saying that even though people with degrees sometimes make mistakes, they're far less likely to than someone who doesn't have a degree.

thanks for stating the obvious.
i realize no one is going to go to an uncertified surgeon. wtf?

read my post. maybe you'll realize we both are arguing similar points. all i'm saying is that many doctors, though they've gone through years of medical school, are less qualified than they are made out to be. ---> this is where your point comes in about being "human". if you have a doctor lacking all sense of humanity, he does not belong in the medical profession working with the wellbeings' of others.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.