Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should Washington DC residents be allowed to own land?
Forums > Community Center > Debate
BamBamBoogie
Im not sure if you all knew this, but if you are a resident in DC, you're not allowed to own the land that your house is on, even if you own it. I, being a DC resident, have never fully understood why that is, but I know it has something to do with DC being the US capital. What do you guys think?
Tomates
maybe it has something to do with the huge political environment and acts of suspicion?
heyo-captain-jack
Unrelated shitpost ahead:

I'm going to DC in a few days.
hi-C
It has something to do with it being federal land, so if the gov't needs land for some important government business, they can repossess the land, tear down your house (you'll be compensated, of course), and do whatever they need to do. It's definitely wrong, more wrong, IMO, than DC's lack of voting rights.
shoryuken
QUOTE(hi-C @ Apr 11 2009, 09:28 PM) *
It has something to do with it being federal land, so if the gov't needs land for some important government business, they can repossess the land, tear down your house (you'll be compensated, of course), and do whatever they need to do. It's definitely wrong, more wrong, IMO, than DC's lack of voting rights.

u dum.. howw da fuk dat wrun.. retturd
hi-C
Because giving someone tens of thousands for their house isn't good enough. It doesn't cover the cost of relocation, not to mention the emotional attachment people have to their homes. And the government shouldn't have the right to swoop in and take over someone's home like that.
illriginal
Just in case the land your home is on.. has to be used as a battlefield.

But seriously, I didn't know this either.. that's screwed up. I guess maybe the government owns that land?
shoryuken
QUOTE(hi-C @ Apr 12 2009, 04:58 PM) *
Because giving someone tens of thousands for their house isn't good enough. It doesn't cover the cost of relocation, not to mention the emotional attachment people have to their homes. And the government shouldn't have the right to swoop in and take over someone's home like that.

dat y u gittaa b shoo wen u movv da D.C..

eff u no dat D.C tak u land n styll mov tha.. dat u faaalt..
hi-C
It's not that simple. Some families have been there for generations upon generations. My grandma's been living in her house in southeast DC for... 60 years? Something like that. I'm sure there are some families who've been living in their houses for much longer.
shoryuken
QUOTE(hi-C @ Apr 12 2009, 07:17 PM) *
It's not that simple. Some families have been there for generations upon generations. My grandma's been living in her house in southeast DC for... 60 years? Something like that. I'm sure there are some families who've been living in their houses for much longer.

ok suu wii talken bout ppl huu livv thaa longg tymee.. ok..

well..

u kan mov out r put upp fightt vs gov n nevaa win.. pickk 1.. dat eazzyy

i no cur eff wur i livv noww moi homeeland.. eff gov payy moi mad DONG da mov.. moi aintt ginnaa cry boutt ett..

wyth da econnomii lyke diz.. nuttin ess fairr..
sixfive
QUOTE(PrinceGonnaChokeaBEECH @ Apr 12 2009, 06:29 PM) *
ok suu wii talken bout ppl huu livv thaa longg tymee.. ok..

well..

u kan mov out r put upp fightt vs gov n nevaa win.. pickk 1.. dat eazzyy

i no cur eff wur i livv noww moi homeeland.. eff gov payy moi mad DONG da mov.. moi aintt ginnaa cry boutt ett..

wyth da econnomii lyke diz.. nuttin ess fairr..

I couldn't have said it any better myself.
illriginal

Well.. better hope those liberals don't decide to kick your granny out of her house. mellow.gif
BamBamBoogie

What part of southeast? Hopefully not the Anacostia area
hi-C
QUOTE(BamBamBoogie @ Apr 13 2009, 11:18 PM) *
What part of southeast? Hopefully not the Anacostia area
Um... slightly east of Anacostia? My mom went to Anacostia High School back in the day, but I'm fairly certain where she lived isn't in Anacostia.
BamBamBoogie
QUOTE(hi-C @ Apr 13 2009, 11:27 PM) *
Um... slightly east of Anacostia? My mom went to Anacostia High School back in the day, but I'm fairly certain where she lived isn't in Anacostia.

Wow, it must have been way back in the day because that school is crazy now. Its funny though because a lot of celebrities have visited there including Michelle Obama.

I live in southeast too, in the Anacostia area btw. Kinda hate it but love the current revitalization going on.

Now Im done spamming _smile.gif
kryogenix
Eminent domain is unconstitutional bullshit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.