Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Celebrity Pictures in Graphics
Forums > Resource Center > Designers' Café
TiffanyFactorial
Createblog is one of the largest online communities for kids all over the web to grab new myspace layouts, website layouts, tutorials, etc. So I'm sure most of you have heard of rev.iew.me & I've gotten several reviews that have bothered me about me using celebrity images in my icons & other graphics.

I'm wondering why if it's SUCH A HUGE DEAL to these people, why does createblog still support & allow layouts to be submitted that use celebrity images? I am NOT saying we should get rid of them, I'm just curious because you'd think if using these images were such a huge deal, createblog wouldn't allow them but they do so .. yeah.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone with my question. :|
Firiath
Actually
I've been wondering the same thing.
You can't submit anything that has images from deviantart
But you can if you get random images off Google
schizo
Uhh...Moved to Designer's Cafe?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

^Chances of the original photographers of popular celebrity images on Google coming to CB and complaining are A LOT slimmer than someone from dA doing it. People from dA come here all the time, and we actually have had complaints.

While I know it's technically not right to use celebrity images and all that, I've never once heard of someone actually getting sued or shut down for it. Most of the biggest graphic sites out there use pictures of celebrities, and are they still running? Of course they are. I think most of those little stuffy sites that complain about that sort of thing just do it because it's become the trend. It makes them feel like they're better designers than everyone else.

If CB banned celebrity images, we'd never get any submissions. Yeah, we get layouts and graphics using stock images and vectoring from time to time, but the majority of what we have has some sort of copyrighted material in it.
fixtatik
^ can't images from deviantart pop up in google searches? or is deviantart using indexing restrictions to stop that? most people searching in google images aren't going to wait around for the original site to load; they'll just click on the image and copy it.
schizo
^Yes, but how often have you actually seen that? If you type in "flowers" or "Britney Spears", no dA links show up for at least the first few pages.

The staff members obviously can't try to look up every image in all of our graphics to make sure they come from a certain source. I'm sure things that violate the dA guideline slip by. It's just a general rule to attempt to prevent any problems with Deviantart artists.
fixtatik
^ eh, i wouldn't know how often deviantart images show up in google. i make my own graphics, and i'm not really one to use stock photography. if i need that, i'll just take my own pictures. and true, it's absolutely impossible to look up everything. it could be the case where something is altered so much you can't even tell where it originally came from.

but the case in using celebrity photos, you're getting frustrating reviews because people just assume you're using copyrighted photos. many celebrity photos are free for promotional / publicity photos. the fact is, work must be registered with a copyright office for someone to actually claim copyright infringement. all of these "gimme credit or ill hunt u down && sue u" are more "moral rights," which are nothing more than being credited for the work. unless the photos you're using have been documented as copyrighted works, you have nothing to worry about. copyright is a big deal because the creator is given exclusive rights to the work. no person is permitted to use the work without written consent, or if a copyright is filed with certain rights rather than exclusive.

the reviews you're getting are probably just from people who are getting fed up with seeing a celebrity in yet another design.
Blaqheartedstar
^ very true, every other review for a site on that review site is like omg your using a celeb image blah blah blah. Annoying really.

QUOTE(schizo @ Mar 25 2009, 11:15 AM) *
*entire post*

Very true, also there's forums out there selling graphics to myspace resource sites and majority of these graphics being sold contain celebrity images. Many sites are now putting huge watermarks on celebrity images but i suppose that since the use of celebrity images is such a huge thing on the internet especially with the myspace resource craze its not that big of a deal if they are used.
Also many celebrity fan sites allow their images to be used in graphics, layouts, etc.
TiffanyFactorial
Hmm yeah I know that Gabi has read one of my blogs over the frustration over it. It's definitely not just me getting reviewed by people who are trying to bite my head off because I used a picture of Adam Brody or something, it's basically everyone who uses celebrity pictures in their graphics & get reviewed on rev.iew.me.

They all get crap for it. An article by the creator of rev.iew.me has been cited as the "DUN STEAL THEM CELEBRITY PICS, DEY BE ILLEGAL!111!!ONEONE!!" commandment.

One of my affiliates used a picture of some popular model from myspace on her layout & this girl comes by & leaves her a comment saying that she reported her site to the model. Also told her that she should be expecting an e-mail soon from the model to take the layout down. I mean, how far does this have to go? I thought it was so obnoxious.

I think most of those little stuffy sites that complain about that sort of thing just do it because it's become the trend. It makes them feel like they're better designers than everyone else.

HAHAHA true that.

I thought most people who make layouts using images from DA normally ask the artist first...?
schizo
^They're supposed to, but most people don't.

And I highly doubt that model would ever do anything about it. First of all, shouldn't the photographer be the one contacted? If anything the model should be happy about the free publicity.
Blaqheartedstar
^ yeah the photographer is the one with rights to the image unless he gives it up to her agency. or something along the lines of that.
TiffanyFactorial
Yeah, a friend of mine were talking about it. The photographer is the one who owns the pictures. I just find it odd that people would actually go out & report others like that.
SaraCola
People get sued all the time over celebrity images. You may not think they care but they do.
I really don't care but I am getting sick of seeing all the celebrity images on here. I see thousands of submits that have been rejected but then I see one picture of a celebrity cropped six different ways accepted. It seem to be like; you must have talent to submit to us and if it's not up to our standards we will reject it...but if it has a celebrity and a glow to it or text we'll accept it.
Mickey
QUOTE(SaraCola @ Apr 14 2009, 11:11 AM) *
I really don't care

You sure?
Mikeplyts
QUOTE(SaraCola @ Apr 14 2009, 06:11 AM) *
People get sued all the time over celebrity images. You may not think they care but they do.
I really don't care but I am getting sick of seeing all the celebrity images on here. I see thousands of submits that have been rejected but then I see one picture of a celebrity cropped six different ways accepted. It seem to be like; you must have talent to submit to us and if it's not up to our standards we will reject it...but if it has a celebrity and a glow to it or text we'll accept it.

Not exactly. Not every layout or graphic that has a celebrity and a glow to it/text on it is accepted. There are certain guidelines, you know.
Maccabee
But also cB has so many similiar things! Probably 200 100x100 icons of spongebob, each with different filters. And I think cB needs to be more hard when it comes to rejecting ans accepting. I have seen some of the crappiest things on here and I just say, why did this get accepted?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.