Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philip Roth
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
mipadi
Has anyone read anything by Philip Roth? He graduated from the same university as me, but I'm a bit chagrined to admit I haven't read his work. I was thinking of picking up American Pastoral, or possibly his newest novel, Indignation, since the Barnes and Noble near me has signed copies of it.
mipadi
Really, no one? I was hoping people read more than just Twilight around here...
brooklyneast05
some people read more than twilight around here, very few probably, but some. i haven't read anything by roth though.
mipadi
I think Indignation looks interesting, because it's about a kid in college, and apparently the fictional college in the novel is modeled heavily on Bucknell University (Roth's and my alma mater). Roth didn't actually like Bucknell a lot, and I kind of know why. Like Roth, I came from a working-class family and was there on a scholarship.

Evidently Roth and I both had a problem with the military presence on campus, too. (Bucknell has a ROTC program.) Ironically, Roth later got drafted after graduating. Life's funny like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.