Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooking complaints
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
brooklyneast05
what's something that drives you crazy when cooking? it can be anything from an appliance to a certain food.

my electric stove is what drives me crazy. i mean it's nice that it's flat and easy to clean, but it's not even worth it for that. i don't think they work that well. it seems like everything takes longer and you have no real control. i wish i had a gas stove sad.gif that's what we have at my parents house and it's so much nicer to work with.
Maccabee
didnt know seasonal0.gif cooked?
I have no cooking complaints. But i love beating eggs till they have firm peaks. haha
brooklyneast05
yes seasonal0.gif cooks

i don't even know what beating eggs until they have firm peaks means
Maccabee
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 26 2009, 06:35 PM) *
yes seasonal0.gif cooks

i don't even know what beating eggs until they have firm peaks means

Usually done with baking.
You mix eggs with a hand blender until it turns white and you lift it up and it holds.
But you have to mix it with sugar. It makes a for a soft airy texture. *I <3 angel cakes*
/gay
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(jcp @ Feb 26 2009, 08:51 PM) *
Usually done with baking.
You mix eggs with a hand blender until it turns white and you lift it up and it holds.
But you have to mix it with sugar. It makes a for a soft airy texture. *I <3 angel cakes*
/gay

oh yeah, i've done that before i just didn't know what it was called. and there's nothing gay about cooking stubborn.gif
superstitious
For some reason I find draining water (from cooked noodles) to be awfully annoying. It's not really the draining part, it's cleaning out the colander. I can't escape this feeling of dread while draining noodles because of it.
karmakiller
^ I hate when I cook thin noodles and they get stuck in the strainer. They're impossible to save... but then I have to try to get them out when I wash the strainer. Ugh!

QUOTE(jcp @ Feb 26 2009, 06:22 PM) *
But i love beating eggs till they have firm peaks. haha
Ah, like meringue?
hi-C
This isn't exactly a cooking complaint, more like an ingredient complaint. I hate living with my parents in suburban Maryland. Between being back home and not having money, I can't splurge on the things I really want to cook with, like fresh herbs and veggies (because fresh always beats dried, frozen, and canned), different types of vegan ingredients, etc, etc.
smash
how did i miss this??? cooking is so my thing.

i can't stand it when i get popped by hot oil. it rarely happens now that i've got the hang of frying things. but man, when it does happen, it hurts and i get all tense, my mood changes. it kills.
brooklyneast05
yeah that happens to me all the time it seems like. i always drop whatever i'm holding too. it pisses me off.
Insurmountable
I actually don't like gas stoves...maybe its just the one at josh's house.

I hate making fried foods >_> I always get popped with some damn oil and it hurts sad.gif I typically don't fry food though I think its gross but my brothers and sisters like it >_>
pink.x.r0se
i can never find the whisk, which makes beating the egg whites SO much easier, so i end up having to use a fork. i always think it won't take as long as it really will, so halfway through im so frustrated. really, i love meringue and all that good stuff, but i have no idea how someone came up with, "i wonder what happens when i beat egg whites for a really really long time!"!?!?
Melie
i hate having to stand there and have to constantly stir when i make caramel. so annoying
karmakiller
I don't get burnt by oil when I cook _unsure.gif Maybe it's just deep-fat frying that does that? I saute and make stir-fry all the time and it hasn't happened to me yet. I did burn my wrist on the oven (that was set at 400 degrees) when I was pulling my chicken out of it last week. I got a nasty blister.

I hate it when I make a bunch of batches of cookies because stirring takes forever and makes me feel like a weakling.
hypnotique
im like numb to the hot hot oil on my skin thing lol.

What pisses me off is when i cant find any good ovenmits. like when i need the the good ones are never on the hook they are usually found somewhere in my house.
datass
i hate using the oven. its sorta broken so one side is higher than the other. that makes cookies half burnt and half not done..
smash
i hate chopping garlic or onions without gloves. my hands will smell like them for days unless i rub them with a lemon.
Harp
QUOTE(karmakiller @ Feb 26 2009, 10:11 PM) *
^ I hate when I cook thin noodles and they get stuck in the strainer. They're impossible to save... but then I have to try to get them out when I wash the strainer. Ugh!

QUOTE(smash @ Apr 16 2009, 04:27 PM) *
i hate chopping garlic or onions without gloves. my hands will smell like them for days unless i rub them with a lemon.

these.

i can also never seem to cook eggs right, so they burn to the bottom of the pan and it takes forever for me to scrub them off.
Maccabee
QUOTE(karmakiller @ Mar 6 2009, 05:26 PM) *
I don't get burnt by oil when I cook _unsure.gif Maybe it's just deep-fat frying that does that? I saute and make stir-fry all the time and it hasn't happened to me yet. I did burn my wrist on the oven (that was set at 400 degrees) when I was pulling my chicken out of it last week. I got a nasty blister.

I hate it when I make a bunch of batches of cookies because stirring takes forever and makes me feel like a weakling.

I did that along my entire arm once.
karmakiller
QUOTE(YukkaPukka @ Apr 16 2009, 05:16 PM) *
these.
i can also never seem to cook eggs right, so they burn to the bottom of the pan and it takes forever for me to scrub them off.

I can never seem to boil eggs correctly. I need one of those things that you put in the water with them that changes when the eggs should be done. Either the yolk is not cooked all the way, or it's cooked too much.
hi-C
^ I was watching Good Eats and Alton Brown said put an egg in a pot with some water and cover it with a lid, let it boil, and once it boils, turn it off and let it sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. Or if you have one of those automatic water boilers, it would turn off automatically after it boils, so you'd still let it sit for 15.
superstitious
This isn't really a complaint, but the way my mom pronounces certain things really bothers me. "Potatas", for example. She does the same thing with tomatoes. "Tomatas". I HATE the lack of O at the end. When she refers to microwaving something, she says "nuke it", but she pronounces "nuke", "nuk". "We can nuk it." Ugggggggggggggggh fingernails on chalkboards.
Gigi
QUOTE(hi-C @ Apr 16 2009, 05:19 PM) *
^ I was watching Good Eats and Alton Brown said put an egg in a pot with some water and cover it with a lid, let it boil, and once it boils, turn it off and let it sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. Or if you have one of those automatic water boilers, it would turn off automatically after it boils, so you'd still let it sit for 15.

My 9th grade foods teacher told us to do this and it's great, the eggs are perfectly boiled and you don't get that stinky sulphur ring around the yolk :D

I love Alton Brown.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.