Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Member reputation status
Forums > News and Announcements > Feedback > Feedback Resolved Topics
saintsaens
Add a member reputation system so everyone can just negative rep a person instead of bashing. It'd relieve a lot of your problems too. Less bashing, less to moderate. It's a load off your shoulders.

Plus, it's an outlet for the people who are annoyed at said member.
brooklyneast05
it kinda kinda biased to me though. someone like joseph would have an awful rating and that wouldn't really be entirely his fault imo. people would just be negative for the sake of it, just like people randomly bash him now sometimes without any real reason. just to be jumping on the bandwagon.

i don't think it would reduce bashing. most of the people who bash on a regular basis do it becuase they think that's fun imo. for example, steven doesn't bash people becuase he has a real problem with them. he bashes them becuase he thinks it fun to be a jackass to people who haven't done anything to him. giving a rating to someone wouldn't satisfy his need to amuse himself by being a jerk.

that's just my opinion though. i don't think it would work fairly or that it would help that much. it would be cool to do it though, just becuase i'm curious how people would be rated. i'm not opposed to a trial period or something.
saintsaens
Admittedly, it probably wouldn't work. But I believe a member reputation system can help bring back some quality to CB because it encourages people to post better quality posts so then they can show off their e-penis.
sixfive
i don't think it would reduce bashing. most of the people who bash on a regular basis do it becuase they think that's fun imo. for example, steven doesn't bash people becuase he has a real problem with them. he bashes them becuase he thinks it fun to be a jackass to people who haven't done anything to him. giving a rating to someone wouldn't satisfy his need to amuse himself by being a jerk.

JC knows me so well.
brooklyneast05
yeah, i know what you mean. i mean, i'm for trying anything that will possibly improve post quality around here. there's not a lot of harm in giving it a try (if we can do so without jusun of course), but i don't think it will be that accurate for the most part.

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Feb 25 2009, 02:18 PM) *
JC knows me so well.

i know right
saintsaens
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 25 2009, 01:19 PM) *
yeah, i know what you mean. i mean, i'm for trying anything that will possibly improve post quality around here. there's not a lot of harm in giving it a try (if we can do so without jusun of course), but i don't think it will be that accurate for the most part.
i know right

Agreed.

I just need some outlet for some of the posters here.
hi-C
I've seen that on other forums before, but I've never seen the point of it. I don't think it'll really relieve your annoyance as much as you think it will.
shanaynay
people would probably only use it for negative rep, I don't think many would give positive feedback.
superstitious
QUOTE(saintsaens @ Feb 25 2009, 12:16 PM) *
Admittedly, it probably wouldn't work. But I believe a member reputation system can help bring back some quality to CB because it encourages people to post better quality posts so then they can show off their e-penis.

What about showing off e-vaginas?

If people were honest and didn't show blatent bandwagon bias, a reputation system could be interesting. I'm not sure how a rep system will change the overall dynamic in posting quality, but trying something new couldn't hurt, right?

Part of me wants to say that the typical poster here wouldn't use a reputation system for anything other than supporting individuals in their circle of friends, people who seem "popular" based not on how they post, but how time they spend together in CBC, that sort of thing. I have nothing against CBC regulars (you guys know that :)), I'm just thinking that it would probably perpetuate in-circle bias.

That or as a bashing/alienating mechanism.

Again though, any type of experimentation to improve the overall posting quality here is fine by me. If it turns out to be horrible, remove the system.
heyo-captain-jack
I've never been a member of a forum that actually used it's reputation system.
Simba
dawg Kun, I think you just want to put Joseph Cohen in the "speshul" member group.
illriginal
I've asked for this as well, a year ago actually... and I was told in private message by a mod, that majority of the board is too immature and would abuse members. So that actually changed my mind about the idea.
Tung
Let's do a Beta test for this for about 2-4 weeks, and see how it is. Won't hurt to just try.
Simba
less labels, more content
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(Tung @ Feb 25 2009, 03:37 PM) *
Let's do a Beta test for this for about 2-4 weeks, and see how it is. Won't hurt to just try.

This. It sounds like a good idea.
karmakiller
I've been on forums that use this system, and it didn't really make much sense to me. If a member is -234908320597 then should that person be banned just because the majority doesn't like him? I think if we did this then not only will people have rude things to say to that person, but then they'll also neg them. It's kind of like putting salt in the wound.
mipadi
Well, first of all, I don't know if IPB even has the capability for user reputations. I'll look into it, but at first glance it didn't seem to exist. Even if it's a plugin, we can't install it without Jusun.

That said, I don't think it's a good idea. I think it would be better if the reputation was like Reddit's, i.e., you vote up/down threads and comments, and users gain reputation based on the popularity of things they have posted, as opposed to voting users up/down directly.
Tomates
im about to rant in a new forum stubborn.gif
illriginal
QUOTE(karmakiller @ Feb 25 2009, 04:41 PM) *
I've been on forums that use this system, and it didn't really make much sense to me. If a member is -234908320597 then should that person be banned just because the majority doesn't like him? I think if we did this then not only will people have rude things to say to that person, but then they'll also neg them. It's kind of like putting salt in the wound.

I will tell you right now, I'll be deeeeeep into the red. laugh.gif
heyo-captain-jack
QUOTE(mipadi @ Feb 25 2009, 03:42 PM) *
Well, first of all, I don't know if IPB even has the capability for user reputations. I'll look into it, but at first glance it didn't seem to exist. Even if it's a plugin, we can't install it without Jusun.

That said, I don't think it's a good idea. I think it would be better if the reputation was like Reddit's, i.e., you vote up/down threads and comments, and users gain reputation based on the popularity of things they have posted, as opposed to voting users up/down directly.

I was an admin on an IPB board with user reputations once. Although the board was heavily modified.

I think something similar Facepunchstudios' old rating system is the one we need to adopt. We can't take that exact rating system, because they use vbulletin, but I'm sure there is a similar plugin for IPB.
Tung
QUOTE(illmortal @ Feb 25 2009, 01:44 PM) *
I will tell you right now, I'll be deeeeeep into the red. laugh.gif

You undervalue yourself. I think you are arrogant and think you know alot, but you are interested and raise points I've been researching and studying for the last 1.5 years. So that's a thumbs up in my book. thumbsup.gif
illriginal
QUOTE(Tung @ Feb 25 2009, 04:45 PM) *
You undervalue yourself. I think you are arrogant and think you know alot, but you are interested and raise points I've been researching and studying for the last 1.5 years. So that's a thumbs up in my book. thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

I don't come off as arrogant or as a know it all right off... it's when people just go off on a tantrum with personal attacks. And all I do is build a personality for each and every single individual. You wanna be a dick to me, alright I'll be the bigger dick to you. Immature, yes... but I like to mirror them shifty.gif

And the reason why I would be deep into the red is simply because of the little "clique" in Cb who would easily run "neg trains".
hi-C
QUOTE(ArjunaCapulong @ Feb 25 2009, 04:40 PM) *
less labels, more content

shoryuken
you ppl idiot..

this member rep work cuz..

like relationship n technology n shiet.. ppl know who da listen 2 n who not da listen 2..
brooklyneast05
people know who to listen to and who not to now for the most part without a system telling them
shoryuken
not realii.. like new member.. they dont know shiet so they need ppl with good rep da leed dem
shoryuken
dunno bout u.. but topic rate system WAYY diff den member rep..
shoryuken
who need the ratin system for some topic..

ppl choose da clik or no clik..

MEMBA rep importann

TOPIC rep.. wtf dat..
Jghelfi
this sounds pretty good...but it wil have its cons...
shoryuken
there aint gonna b any cons NUB..
Jghelfi
umyea there are..! noob
shoryuken
tell me nub..

*prince put on OWN NUB 4 FREE hat* boxing.gif boxing.gif
Jghelfi
tch, whatevea noob..

this little rating system seems prety good..
is there like a little preview of how it WOULD look like if we do a litle beta test for it?

as in preview, im saying like any idea? like a pic or what not?
shoryuken
YE.. dat wat prince thougghhtt.. tongue.gif
Simba
this whole page is so hard to read
Jghelfi
I can kinda picture it being at the bottom of the Member Number..
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(ArjunaCapulong @ Feb 25 2009, 10:15 PM) *
this whole page is so hard to read

saintsaens
I'd recommend attempting it for 2 months. 2-4 weeks isn't enough to get the users used to a reputation system. There's obviously going to be abusing for the first few weeks.
Blyat
Mabey testing it
but like others have said i Could see a handful of people abuse this/not take is seriously
Jghelfi
2 months is a pretty long time...its called a BETA, so its supposed to be about 2-4 weeks..
sixfive
Wouldn't we alpha test it before beta testing :]
shoryuken
QUOTE(divergent @ Feb 25 2009, 09:15 PM) *
There are two pitfalls to the member rating system, one, it could get abused, where you have one member, just cause they're not well-liked everything that they say, could be rating negatively, even if it's in good advice. While the other side, if a person gives great comments/help/advice they could have a very high rating, they could say the wrong thing in a help thread for example, and the OP may ignore everyone else cause this one person has the highest rating, and could have wasted their time cause the person with the high rating was wrong. That's just my view on this. I like where we're at now, with no tests of a person's legitimacy to post.

that why you let only ADMIN rep..

all ppl start 0 green bar.. and then they move up one one one when they get 5 green bar.. that meen dey got good post r sum shiet..

cuz i aint gonna say let memba staff..MOTM..DESIGNER shiet da rep.. cuz then you got buddy n shiet repp eech otha..

but i no admin buddy withh sum memba staff 2.. so gonna b hard..

admin n other designer motm can rep only they put down WHY they rep... i dunno bout let member rep... that when u get ABUSE..PUT DOWN WHY U REP.. N MEMBER CAN REED WHAT YOU SAY WHEN THEY CLIK AT THE REP BAR..

this rep shiet work.. but i realli no cure...cuz i neva bothur da look at rep n shiet wen i go otha forum.. i reed all ppl post when i ask fuu advice...heck.. them longass post even got good advice i skip.. FUK DAT..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.