Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Military school mandatory for middle/high school dropouts?
Forums > Community Center > Debate
Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto
So where i'm from there's a high rate of drop outs from middle an dhigh school and the kids who drop out usually go off cause trobule shoot each other up and cause alot of problems.
yea it makes the area look bad and all but also because of that it's kinda like alot of people are taking up space in a school which our tax dollars pay for and they aren't using them for anything but barley passing grades or jus failing constantly.
so what if we were to force the kids who drop out to go to military school where they are watched over by a military drill Sargent and basically lived like they were in boot camp. would that help motivate people to stay inschool and actually do their work

what do u think??
Comptine
It would be wrong and probably not solve many problems. If the children really do not want to go, most schools won't take them because it would waste to many resources trying too get them to cooperate.

If that happens, what's the stop the government from making the unemployed get a job they don't want or making people on welfare increase the amount of hours they work so they can use less welfare?
Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto
Well i never said that that's what is supposed to happen. I'm jus wondering if that would make things better.

Either way I'm talkin bout military school as a means of teaching kids who are natural trouble makers a sense of discipline.

heyo-captain-jack
Great, but it's unconstitutional.

Why not reinstate the draft?
Melie
it sounds like a good idea but who's gonna pay for it?
brooklyneast05
i don't think it's a good idea. if people want to drop out then they want to drop out. there are already incentives to stay in school and people still choose to drop out. i don't think we should force them into military school, or that that will even fix what's wrong with half the kids anyway. why military school? i mean what does the military have to do with anything. i don't understand why you choose this specifically as the punishment for kids who don't want to stay in school.

and what about people who just drop out of high school and go get a job and get on with their life? they have to be FORCED into military school because some kids in some area who drop out cause trouble?
Melie
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Feb 7 2009, 02:09 PM) *
i don't think it's a good idea. if people want to drop out then they want to drop out. there are already incentives to stay in school and people still choose to drop out. i don't think we should force them into military school, or that that will even fix what's wrong with half the kids anyway. why military school? i mean what does the military have to do with anything. i don't understand why you choose this specifically as the punishment for kids who don't want to stay in school.

and what about people who just drop out of high school and go get a job and get on with their life? they have to be FORCED into military school because some kids in some area who drop out cause trouble?

you do have some valid points.
but why drop out to "get a job and get on with their life" when getting a degree will give them a better advantage of getting a better paying job?
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Melie @ Feb 7 2009, 03:16 PM) *
you do have some valid points.
but why drop out to "get a job and get on with their life" when getting a degree will give them a better advantage of getting a better paying job?

that's their own choice and people have their own reasons for dropping out. i don't personally understand why someone would want to drop out, but i know that not everyone is cut out for getting a degree. to a certain extent, you can't make people want to learn like that in my opinion. having a better life/job is one of the incentives that i was talking about that we already have, but it's not enough to keep some people in. if people choose to drop out of high school and go into the work force, i think that is their own decision. i don't know that i see how forcing them into military school will really fix things. and like i said, not every high school drop out is some trouble maker who goes around shooting people. i know numerous people who dropped out and they are just fine.

karmakiller
Taxpayers pay money for kids to go to school and the kids who dropout hate it. Taxpayers will have to pay money for the kids to go to the military "school" and the kids who dropout would hate it.

If the people who drop out struggle, that's their own problem, imo. If someone drops out of high school they have the option of getting their GED and going to community college to get a better paying job. I personally don't want to waste resources and people's time to chase around people who don't care about themselves when there are plenty of people who actually want the assistance that we could use the time and resources for (like kids in low income places that are struggling to get a decent education and are trying to find a way to go to college).
DoubleJ
As somebody who has attended a military school and who has gone on to become successful, I can say that the close minded idea of all of the students being trouble makers is bullshit. Don't rush to opinions before getting your facts.
Stuckie
QUOTE(Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto @ Feb 7 2009, 03:01 AM) *
So where i'm from there's a high rate of drop outs from middle an dhigh school and the kids who drop out usually go off cause trobule shoot each other up and cause alot of problems.
yea it makes the area look bad and all but also because of that it's kinda like alot of people are taking up space in a school which our tax dollars pay for and they aren't using them for anything but barley passing grades or jus failing constantly.
so what if we were to force the kids who drop out to go to military school where they are watched over by a military drill Sargent and basically lived like they were in boot camp. would that help motivate people to stay inschool and actually do their work

what do u think??

I have to watch my step because there is so many holes.

Who makes the decision to send the kid to military school? Hopefully not the government. If you were to let the government get control of whether or not your kid is "qualified" to stay in school, you'll be opening the door for the government to control other parts of our personal life.

A waste of Tax payers dollars? How is you Military school idea gonna be funded? First you'll need someone to monitor every child's grades in the country, which will cost a lot of money. You'll need to train Drill Sergeants to teach Academics, which wont be free. Then housing the kid, clothing the kid, feeding the kid three meals a day. That sounds kinda pricey, versus the way it is now, where tax payers pay only for the childs education and one meal (lunch).

There are just some kids now matter how hard they try, they just can't pass. So you're gonna send this kid who studies, gets tutored, and stays after class to ask the teacher for help but the best he can do is a C- to a military school where there is more pressure on the kid.

A little off topic for a moment Im speaking sort of on a personal level because I dropped out of High School, but I never had terrible grades. High school was just boring me. I never did the homework, the reports, or the presentations, but I always aced the tests. Teachers always said it was because I wasnt being challenged, it drove me away. When they put me in more advanced classes, my grades were looking better.
DoubleJ
Right....that was the reason that I went to military school. Some people just get bored with school and want to have something more challenging.
emberfly
I definitely don't think it would be wrong or unjust. Going to school is a law--if you cannot adhere to the law, you should be punished.

Military schooling can do nothing but help them--TREMENDOUSLY. You would be lucky if your community started making people do that; it would turn people's lives around.

Of course, they always have the option to go to school and get an education, which could help them far greater than military school could. It's up to them.
Stuckie
^Even if what you say is true, its at the parent's discretion. If you're gonna let the government control your child's place of education, you might as well just throw them into the foster care system.

And you're right about turning people's lives around. Our children will be monitored at school, which doesnt seem like a bad idea to a person who cant look minutes into the future. The government says the child isnt doing good in public school, so we'll put them in a military school. Then the government thinks the problem with bad grades is that kids aren't turning in assignments, so they decide to monitor the kids at home. Then they believe the kids' poor school performance is a reflection on the parent's behavior, so then they start monitoring the parents. Then they find out the parent's parental skills are being influenced from the stress at work, so they monitor co-workers and bosses. Then they see that the company that the parents work for has a product in high demand, which is putting stress on the bosses, which makes the average joes work overtime and stresses them out, so the government, in all their infinite wisdom, monitors the consumer. So now you're being monitored all because little Johnny doesnt know that a(a)+b(b)=c©. <--- And if you don't know what that means, you're little Johnny and you need to go to military school to make something of yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.