Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gregory Maguire
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
hi-C
Have you guys read his books? I've read two -- Wicked, and more recently Son of a Witch -- and I'm struck at how different the two books are. Wicked, amazing. Son of a Witch, not so much. Son of a Witch started slow and ended confusingly and for the most part I think Maguire tried to hard to be profound.

Anybody agree? Disagree? Let's have a discussion.
Comptine
Actually... I hate Wicked. I tried reading it and could not get into it.

Loved the Broadway show though.
gojira
i liked wicked, maybe because i love wizard of oz.
tokyo-rose
I have his other two books, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Mirror, Mirror. Confessions is pretty good. I've been wondering if I should read Son of a Witch, but now that I've read your reply, I don't think I'd want to waste my time on a book like that.
shadowfax
I have to bump this.

Wicked is one of my all-time favorite books. I was surprised at how much I liked it and was even more surprised at the humor in it. I also read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, which was all right. I think Wicked appeals more to me because it's tragic and as evil as she appears towards the end, you can't help but feel sympathy for Elphaba.
KissMe2408
I did read "Wicked". Thought it was beautifully written. This man puts a lot of work and thought into his writing. I've been tempted to read his other books, but just never got around to it. Maybe someday, but i have heard that Wicked was his best book, so it would be hard to just pick up another one of his books that were only "okay"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.