Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uniqsole.intricate-life.com
Forums > Resource Center > Showcase Booth
bigtrey90
uniqsole.intricate-life.com

The grand opening of my new website! Serves as a personal blog and portfolio (yet to be uploaded). Tell me what you think.

FYI - Looks best in Firefox
Harp
awesome.
queen
it's been a long time since i've actually been interested enough to critique a site.

first off, let me state that i hate the fact that your site is optimized for one browser; i dislike anything that says "looks best on [insert browser name here]", because i believe a good design, especially a portfolio, should be compatible -and capable of being showcased-on any browser. with that said, please fix it for ie and safari.

second, the little slits you have on top of your banner and below it tricks the eye into thinking it's misaligned. it would be cleaner if you just got rid of that altogether. if you want to frame it with some kind of thin/thick pixel border, that will solidify the look, but using slits of images to frame the top and bottom is messy imo.

i like the colour scheme and organization. i even like that you use a different tone of blue for your date and title, since the same colour teal throughout would look boring. if you want more "pop", you could add a complementary orange in there somewhere, but it's not needed. since it is a portfolio site, it's a good idea to stick to the simple path and let the work speak rather than a loud layout.

all in all, good job.
bigtrey90
QUOTE(synkiro @ Jan 31 2009, 05:25 PM) *
it's been a long time since i've actually been interested enough to critique a site.

first off, let me state that i hate the fact that your site is optimized for one browser; i dislike anything that says "looks best on [insert browser name here]", because i believe a good design, especially a portfolio, should be compatible -and capable of being showcased-on any browser. with that said, please fix it for ie and safari.

second, the little slits you have on top of your banner and below it tricks the eye into thinking it's misaligned. it would be cleaner if you just got rid of that altogether. if you want to frame it with some kind of thin/thick pixel border, that will solidify the look, but using slits of images to frame the top and bottom is messy imo.

i like the colour scheme and organization. i even like that you use a different tone of blue for your date and title, since the same colour teal throughout would look boring. if you want more "pop", you could add a complementary orange in there somewhere, but it's not needed. since it is a portfolio site, it's a good idea to stick to the simple path and let the work speak rather than a loud layout.

all in all, good job.

That was good!

I not fond of the fact that my site works well in only one browser. I plan on fixing that.

Thanks again for the positive comments!
manny-the-dino
Oh man I love the image you used. throb.gif I think it's simple yet good. The only thing is is that the pieces of tape with text in them are a bit low in quality. Just a tad. I'd recommend using more exciting fonts on the tape because it makes it look boring & bland, you know? But that's just me. But I like it. Great job. And congrats on finally getting the site up! _smile.gif
none345678
I really like the image too, and the green you used is nice. I think you should add some sort of rollover effect for the top links, it's just bugs me when there's not. But over all nice job.
Mikeplyts
Everyone pretty much covered up what I was going to say. I love the banner and the color scheme is cool too. Yeah, rollovers would be cool but either way, it still looks good but the "Heavy Rotation" section's height doesn't look too good in IE. Otherwise, great job. thumbsup.gif biggrin.gif
bigtrey90
thanks for the feedback.

yeah the sidebar height isn't the best, and i'm working on fixing that asap.

Maccabee
Maybe you could put the nav below the banner.
Looks cool though:)
Did you make the background?
Ps: now that you have a real site nothing can be copyrighted.
bigtrey90
QUOTE(JosephCohen123 @ Jan 31 2009, 09:19 PM) *
Maybe you could put the nav below the banner.
Looks cool though:)
Did you make the background?
Ps: now that you have a real site nothing can be copyrighted.

i found a pattern and edited it to my liking.
Maccabee
Where do you find your patterns?
bigtrey90
QUOTE(JosephCohen123 @ Jan 31 2009, 09:24 PM) *
Where do you find your patterns?

http://www.squidfingers.com/patterns/1/
Maccabee
I think ive actually been there before!
Is it totally neccesary to link back though?
Harp
bigtrey90
QUOTE(YukkaPukka @ Jan 31 2009, 09:57 PM) *

yup and i gave them credit on my "site" page. thumbsup.gif
Harp
i know. i was referring to Joseph.
Maccabee
She said it would be "appreciated" but does that really mean you have too?
Cause im not gonna use something if i have to give credit.
none345678
^It's not a big deal. A majority of resources, at least high quality ones, require credit. I am sure you would be butthurt if your work was being used by someone else who wasn't giving any recognition to you for the time you put into it. /rant>
Maccabee
^so you think it is important to give credit unless you make it yourself?
none345678
majority of the time. There are some things which are hard to give credit for because they are on every website out there. I prefer to just ask permission, sometimes that's all the creator wants. I buy a lot of my stock and what not though too.

We should deftly stay on topic, though.
bigtrey90
^ thanks, i will be adding rollovers eventually.
Mikeplyts
Hey, I see you made some changes to the site. Great job. _smile.gif It looks better now. thumbsup.gif
none345678
I like the rollovers, very simple but nice. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the photo for your header?
Relentless
Your work is pretty much amazing. And I really like the website. Nice choice of colors.
bigtrey90
thanks for the comments

i got my header off google, i just typed in "city" lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.