Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beauty Exam
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Girls' Locker
Comptine
I was watching True Beauty and they had a doctor on one episode who analyzed someone's physical appearance and put all his notations through a computer program. The program then spits out a score that indicates how beautiful you are.

Higher than 85 is good looking
Higher than 95 is celebrity beauty status

What do you think about this test? Is it good enough to see how beautiful someone is? Would you take the test?
hi-C
Dang. Whatever happened to beauty being in the eye of the beholder? How is a computer going to tell me if I'm attractive or not?
Comptine
Well, he makes marks about whether or not your facial features are symmetric. Whether or not your complexion is good. Measures your body.

So, the very vain/superficial dieas of beauty.
hi-C
Ohhh, okay. Well my face is very symmetrical, so I've been told, but my complexion isn't so hot.
smash
QUOTE(hi-C @ Jan 24 2009, 12:37 AM) *
Dang. Whatever happened to beauty being in the eye of the beholder? How is a computer going to tell me if I'm attractive or not?

right?? i might take the test if i was bored and it was free. i like the way i look most of the time, which is all that matters. plus i have some nice guy friends who tell i'm cute and what not, which doesn't hurt.
Gigi
It's probably a pretty good measure of what we consider to be beautiful. Of course there are always variations in opinion because of 1) personality/other non-superficial characteristics that lead you to change your opinion or 2) just straight-up variation in tastes. But there is an indisputable global standard of what is really beautiful, and everyone agrees to a certain extent i.e. there's no doubt that a 10 is uglier than a 90. But perhaps the difference between a 70 and 80 is not so profound.
LittleMissSunshine
^ agree!

but i think, everyone has their own definition of beauty. and the computer just perfects what beauty is defined in a scientific/technologic way.
Desolation-Row
Eww haha i dont want a computer telling me im beautiful
superstitious
QUOTE(Gigi @ Jan 24 2009, 01:12 AM) *
It's probably a pretty good measure of what we consider to be beautiful. Of course there are always variations in opinion because of 1) personality/other non-superficial characteristics that lead you to change your opinion or 2) just straight-up variation in tastes. But there is an indisputable global standard of what is really beautiful, and everyone agrees to a certain extent i.e. there's no doubt that a 10 is uglier than a 90. But perhaps the difference between a 70 and 80 is not so profound.

It saddens me, but this is pretty appropriate as to what the system is measuring.

In reality though, I find the oddest of things beautiful so I'm more than likely going to disagree with any type of systematic test of "beauty."
Simba
y'all are beautiful it's all good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.