Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arrogance
Forums > Community Center > Debate
Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto
This is a lil somethin I wrote a while bakc it's actually part of the book I'm writing currently but yea it's on an issue that we all deal with somewhere in our life.
So hit me back and tell me what you think bout it.

ARROGANCE

There is probably nothing more that pisses me off than people who think they are better than other people. To me, arrogance is belief that one holds where s/he thinks she is better than you. Condescending is the action of an arrogant f*cker.

I think arrogance is one of the fundamental reasons for all the inequalities that exist in this world. We all like to say that everyone is equal. It seems to be some morale of a society. Yet, we never see it in practice.

I see disparities between the "superiors" and "inferiors" coming from an air of arrogance. To be arrogant is to justify that one person holds more value than another person because of a societal factor, which boggles my mind because society is so erroneous in the way it measures people. Like the power and influence of money on one's societal status. What the f*ck is that? That, to me, is the most wack way to determine one's qualities.

In fact, I think arrogance that derives from class, race, or profession, (all which kind of go hand in hand) is the most detrimental. Everyone is arrogant at one point or another, but these are phases that we pass through. PASS and LEARN..

Arrogance is what cements systems of hierarchy. It legitimizes the disparities that uplift certain people while they and the system step on another group. It acknowledges the misconception that some people deserve better lifestyles than others because of some social creation.

I'm being too idealistic again, but I truly believe that everyone should be treated and seen equally. Money, education, class, race, beauty, all those bullshit determinants should never account for one's worth.

In this society, it seems like arrogance is not seen as a bad thing. In fact, if you are arrogant, then you have pride and that will take you places where the 'weaker' people aren't able to travel. Pride denotes power, influence, and other positive connotations. Well, my friends, there is a difference between pride and honor. Pride is a derivative of arrogance, but honor is formed through humility. I have much to say about pride vs honor, but that calls for another entry.

It is really difficult to tolerate arrogant f*cks. It really is. There are people who will pretend that their arrogance is merely a facade, but why would you want to front that you are superior? It just means that you honest to God, truly believe that you are better than somebody else.

If we adopt an arrogant stance on the individual level, then it will emanate through our actions hence; the collective body is influenced. It will make us believe that some people are rightfully oppressed because they don't have what we have. If we don't view people and ourselves as equal, then we will treat others according to what is valued by society, and unfortunately, society is not always right or virtuous when it comes to individuals.

+ + by Dre Stephen Daniel
© 2004
All Rights Reserved.
hypnotique
I agree with you somewhat.

But I think everyone needs to be a little arrogant in order to get anywhere in life. Cause if we all think we are intellectually are alike we would never have all of the technological advancements,medical advancements and other achievements we would have today
brooklyneast05
but who says humility is honorable?

in my opinion, arrogance is too subjective most the time. when people like someone they tend to say the person is confident. when people don't like the person they tend to say the person is arrogant. they're usually describing the exact same attitude, they are just using positive or negative connotation.
DoubleJ
Everybody is arrogant ya know. Imo, I have lived on both sides of the spectrum and I must say....you need an arrogant swagger to succeed in life.
superstitious
First thing I'd do is determine the definition of arrogance and contrast it to confidence, which I believe many misrepresent as "arrogance."

overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors

as opposed to

assurance: freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities

Confidence is immensely attractive. Arrogance is not, nor is it ever acceptable, in my opinion. Then again, as JC has mentioned already, arrogance can be a subjective term, made even more muddy by common misuse of the word.

I disagree with your assessment of what society deems acceptable, as far as an arrogant demeanor is concerned. I believe (and as I get older, the more I believe it) that in general, people in society expect confidence from most, particularly those from affluent means. After all, much has been handed to them and even though they might have work to attend to, they have had a much easier way of life than most.

I'm not saying that arrogance amongst the upper crust doesn't exist, of course it exists but to say that society in general condones that behavior is a handicapped, tunnel vision way of interpreting society's standards.
KINGdinguhling
You might think I’m depressed as can be
But when I look in the mirror I see sexy ass me
DoubleJ
f*g lmao
sixfive
the kevin who posted that was not the kevin who wrote that
Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto
QUOTE(superstitious @ Jan 22 2009, 07:33 PM) *
First thing I'd do is determine the definition of arrogance and contrast it to confidence, which I believe many misrepresent as "arrogance."

overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors

as opposed to

assurance: freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities

Confidence is immensely attractive. Arrogance is not, nor is it ever acceptable, in my opinion. Then again, as JC has mentioned already, arrogance can be a subjective term, made even more muddy by common misuse of the word.

I disagree with your assessment of what society deems acceptable, as far as an arrogant demeanor is concerned. I believe (and as I get older, the more I believe it) that in general, people in society expect confidence from most, particularly those from affluent means. After all, much has been handed to them and even though they might have work to attend to, they have had a much easier way of life than most.

I'm not saying that arrogance amongst the upper crust doesn't exist, of course it exists but to say that society in general condones that behavior is a handicapped, tunnel vision way of interpreting society's standards.

I hear ya wit what ya sayin.
The way I precieve arrogance to be though is a state of mind that when one allows it to consume them it blinds them to things happening around them.
I mean in the passage I wrote i was mostly talking about ways in my view i see people as sucumbing to the influence of arrognace due to letting things gettin to their head or thinking they are better than someone else.
if you think bout it although at times that is a good mindstate to have at the same time it's also rather destructive to a person because if they didn't have a good head on their shoulders an arrogant mindstate or attitue would turn that person in to someone we'd despise.

I mean when I wrote this passage on arrogance it was during a time when i was looking around watching how people would get props for something and jus cause of that they would find that they had the power to talk condesendingly to others and stuff like that. that to me pisses me off cause i mean jus cause you got kudos on somethin don't mean your better than anyone else. i don't like to think like that. nah mean?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.