Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: books for christmas
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
brooklyneast05
what books did you get for christmas?

seasonal0.gif got:
  • The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark - Carl Sagan
  • How We Know What Isn't So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life - Thomas Gilovich
  • Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time - Michael Shermer
  • The Tales of Beetle the Bard - J.K. Rowling
  • Making Malcolm: The Myth and Meaning of Malcolm X - Michael Eric Dyson

i bought Fahrenheit 451 for myself for christmas, but that was a few days ago. let a seasonal0.gif know that kids nowadays still get books for christmas.
batman
Well... I plan to buy myself all the required reading for next semester. sad.gif
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(heartquasm @ Dec 26 2008, 11:26 PM) *
Well... I plan to buy myself all the required reading for next semester. sad.gif

how exciting mellow.gif
Eww
my mom got me the twilight series. I guess I'll have to read it now..
Joanne
The only book I got this Christmas was V for Vendetta.
tokyo-rose
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling :)
Gigantic books on horses and China, too lazy to get up and look at the authors' names.
More Anguished English by Richard Lederer

Be back later to edit.
Janette
I didn't get books but I got $20 for Barnes and Noble. I'm excited.
hi-C
I too got the Tales of Beedle the Bard. My mom was being all lame, I was with her when we got it and she wouldn't let me open it until Christmas.
heyo-captain-jack
Somehow, I got none. It's as if my parent's don't understand that I can read.
mipadi
I wanted books -- and I got some -- but they're kind of stupid. My parents seem to think that my tastes in reading are the same as they were in 8th grade, so they keep buying me stupid fantasy and sci-fi novels that I'm never going to read. Which is both disappointing and frustrating, because every year my mom asks me for a list of books I want, and every year, she fails to buy a single book on the list.

Since I got mostly shitty books for Christmas, I'm thinking of buying a copy of Gravity's Rainbow for myself. Maybe I should even try to return some of the books my parents and brother got me, so I have enough money to buy it... But I'm still in the midst of reading both Kafka on the Shore and No Logo, so maybe I'll wait a bit to pick it up.
LoveToMySilas
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Dec 26 2008, 11:05 AM) *
[*]The Tales of Beetle the Bard - J.K. Rowling
I saw the book in BJ's and had the biggest urge to beg my mother for it, but I knew she wouldn't buy it because the cover was quite deceiving. sad.gif

My sister went all ghetto and wrapped up New Moon (the book she had just finished) and gave it to me as a christmas present...how nice. xD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.