Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selling Textbooks
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
DoubleJ
How many of you are selling back textbooks and if so where? Do any of you plan to donate them?
queen
i sell my textbooks directly to students in my college for at least 90% of the price for which i paid. sometimes i could get away with selling it for 110% of the price i originally paid. i never sell back to the bookstore 'cause (it's a well known fact) they give you only 25% of the retail price back.

if i can't sell it to students in my school, i sell directly on amazon.com. i avoid selling on discount sites like ecampus.com or campusi.com simply 'cause i wanna sell it for more than the selling price they have on those sites. what's funny is i buy some of my textbooks from those sites, so i end up selling them for 200% the original price LOL.

yes, i'm a bit greedy, but shoot, textbooks are expensive ;|
brooklyneast05
i only had one textbook to sell back because i need the rest of them next semester. bitches wouldn't take it back because since there was a presidential election they gotta make a new edition now. i was pissed, i was lookin forward to that 25 bucks stubborn.gif

i'll probably donate it when i figure out where to do that. it's a nice book still.
Comptine
I put some up on half.com. I also listed all the books of Facebook market specific to my university. That way they can just come and pick it up.
paperplane
It was going to sell by facebook or through amazon, but in the end I was feeling really lazy and sold them back to an off campus bookstore. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me what they gave me back for individual books, so I have no idea how ripped off I got. On the bright side, they took the book I got for free last semester. I still have several books that they wouldn't take back (some of them understandably, because I bought the wrong versions online) and I'll probably sell them online.

I don't know why the hell you would donate them.
ReggieM
i try to sell it back to students but it takes forever.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(ojairus @ Dec 18 2008, 04:52 PM) *
i try to sell it back to students but it takes forever.

yeah i don't even know how to go about that. i don't know anyone that's gonna be takin the class to sell it to.
Joanne
I sell them to students too. There's a FB group students at my school use to post up what they're selling and what they want to buy, so it's pretty easy to find potential buyers. It just takes a really long time to find actual buyers because they may need another edition of the book or they may have found someone else who's selling the books for cheaper.
karmakiller
Moved to School tongue.gif

I still have to sell back my English book. I HATE is when a teacher makes you buy a book for $60 and you only use it twice. stubborn.gif
queen
in my school, it's apparently a common tradition to sell books to underclassmen. in the beginning of every semester (the first 3 weeks or so), students are permitted to put up flyers on the bulletin boards on every floor of the main building. of course, it always sucks when they change the required book or upgrade to a new edition, but some professors aren't picky when it comes to what book is used so long as you learn the material.

so yah, selling books to students is easy for me. sometimes i sell a book within the first day of posting up flyers. it takes less than a minute per meeting - just a quick swap of money and book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.