Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: plantains
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
brooklyneast05
i just bought one today. i can't remember if i've ever had one.

do you like plantains?

Gigi
Yeah I like 'em, I think they're better than regular bananas. I like bananitos too.

look how cute!!

I usually only eat these in Asia though.
brooklyneast05
are they supposed to be green or yellow _unsure.gif
Gigi
I eat them yellow...in fact they taste better when they're pretty ripe, almost black. Apparently people think they taste like apples and are therefore also called apple bananas, but I don't think so. =\
brooklyneast05
ohhhhhhh, ok i just read an article about them. i better let it get ripe then, what i just read claims they taste like potatoes if they are green, wtf.

i'll let them get black, that's my style anyway seasonal0.gif
Melie
i LOVE plantains...i make fried plantains. i use the green ones and let them ripen for a few days. after that i just slice and fly in veg oil. really sweet with a nice soft middle and crunchy edge. very yummy
Tomates
I didnt know they were called plantains. I had some a few months ago, i wish i remembered where i got them though.
brooklyneast05
^ i got mine at the grocery store

QUOTE(Melie @ Dec 4 2008, 09:25 PM) *
i LOVE plantains...i make fried plantains. i use the green ones and let them ripen for a few days. after that i just slice and fly in veg oil. really sweet with a nice soft middle and crunchy edge. very yummy

i might try this. you don't fry them very long right?
Gigi
Oh god, fried bananas of any kind are the most delicious things in the world.
Joanne
Hm, I've never had a plantain before... but I did have bananito two summers ago. They're so cute!!! Like tiny baby bananas. biggrin.gif
hi-C
I've had plantains before. My dad sliced them them sauteed them in brown sugar and oil. He served them over pork, but as I'm vegetarian, I ate mine with ice cream for desert =D

EDIT: You know what's good? Plantain chips!
brooklyneast05
damn i can't wait for my plantain to get ripe now
Impressive
Puertorican Style Maduros
-Get the ripe ones (Black Plantains)
-Cast iron pan
- Heat stovetop to 7/10
- oil(varies on what you like)
- Fry them till tan on each side
- Throw in bowl with napkins on bottom of bowl and on top of plantains
- Add salt ( results vary
- And enjoy the best way to eay Plantains.
espressive
i thought plantains were fried bananas? i guess it's an actual subgroup of regular bananas... what are the mini-bananas called? well regardless, regular bananas ftw! thumbsup.gif
Gigi
Plaintains are relatives of bananas, not really a subgroup. Actually I read that there isn't much of a biological difference between them, if any, just that plaintains tend to be less sweet than bananas, which is why regular bananas are sometimes called "dessert bananas".

The mini-bananas are apparently called bananitos but I only found out a few days ago. Also apple bananas, manzana bananas or just manzanas. We call them "milk bananas" in Cantonese, and plaintains are called, literally "big bananas". Milk banana is just such a cuter name than a bananito.
missnh
mmm fried plantain chips
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.