Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: no more available seats
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
brooklyneast05
does registering for classes piss off/disappoint you always?

it does me. i always plan out exactly what i want my schedule to be and then wait anxiously for my registration time to start. i get on there, find the class, and then find out that it's full now at the time i need it so i have to pick another time which screws up my entire schedule. then i'm stressed out trying to think fast because every second i waste is a second some other bitch could be taking my seat in another course.

i never get what i want and i don't understand how i can get it half the time. i've been trying for two semesters now to get into biological anthropology and every time my registration period comes around it's f*cking full. i just tried to enroll in it and it won't let me without the lab which is full. why the f*ck is there open class seats if the labs are full? wouldn't it make sense that you have as many lab seats as you do class seats?

i hate it

tell me about how you never get what classes you want so i'll feel better.
Tung
I'm having the same problem right now. I'm trying to register for Japanese 2, and it's all full right now. It pisses me off, because it throws my entire schedule off, if I don't get the class. I'm a third year now, and I should be getting priority over these damn freshmans, or so the Register's Office says.

If I don't get in this class, I will have to wait ONE FULL YEAR, for them to offer it again. Because they only offer it during Winter Quarter of every year.
paperplane
I have the worst schedule ever next semester. WORST. EVER.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(kreios @ Nov 13 2008, 04:47 PM) *
The best advice I could give you is be up and have your CRNs ready at the exact moment they allow you to register.

yeah i started signing up the second i was allowed in the system. although, i should have made an earlier advising appointment before so that i could have gotten an earlier registration time, but yeah.

QUOTE(Tung @ Nov 13 2008, 05:12 PM) *
I'm having the same problem right now. I'm trying to register for Japanese 2, and it's all full right now. It pisses me off, because it throws my entire schedule off, if I don't get the class. I'm a third year now, and I should be getting priority over these damn freshmans, or so the Register's Office says.

If I don't get in this class, I will have to wait ONE FULL YEAR, for them to offer it again. Because they only offer it during Winter Quarter of every year.

yeah almost this same thing happened to me because there is one less italian class or something for italian II next year and they only offer it in the spring so i would be screwed if i didn't get in this year.

it's the same thing though, lots of the people going into this class are 1 or 2 years behind me and i think they should have to wait because i need these classes done way before them

QUOTE(kreios @ Nov 13 2008, 05:15 PM) *
How many meeting times do your guys classes offer? I've looked outside of the "freshmen" classes, and even those higher level classes still have 10+ meeting times. :/

a lot of classes have a lot of meeting times but some only have a few. i have to worry about art classes though which they usually only have one or two meeting times and they are 3 hours each so they are a bitch to try to schedule normal classes around.

QUOTE(paperplane @ Nov 13 2008, 05:21 PM) *
I have the worst schedule ever next semester. WORST. EVER.

what's your schedule like?
paperplane
I have a 9:05 MWF, my last class ends at 4:25 MWF, and 4:45 TR. 4 classes MW, 3 F, 2 R, 1 T. I'm stuck with the 9:05 class because I have to take one more semester of Italian, and it's only offered at 9:05 and 10:10 as far as I can tell, but I got assigned a 10:10 poli sci class that I can't change. I also can't change the poli sci class that ends at 4:25. I might switch out the one that ends at 4:45, but to do that is to decide that I will definitely stick with majoring in poli sci. Anyway, this is just awful for me because I hate getting out of class after 4, and will never make it to me 9:05 on time.
brooklyneast05
i hate being in class after 4 too. my italian class starts at 8:30 this semester and the same next semester. i'm ok with that though becuase i'd rather get it over with.
Gigi
I didn't have a problem with this this year became I got the first registration date, thanks to my stellar acceptance average. happy.gif

Actually I'm not doing so well this term so I'm totally not going to get it next year, and plus second years get last pick. sad.gif
Joanne
I didn't get some of the classes I wanted for the fall semester, and I actually had the first registration date! I wanted to take a second year Psychology course, but College Board never sent the school my AP marks from grade 11, so the program wouldn't let me register for that course. And then there was a Computing Sciences class... the stupid registration program said I didn't have the prerequisites needed for the course, so they wouldn't let me take it. The thing is, the course didn't have any prerequisites courses. STUPID ASS PROGRAM.

I got all the courses I want for the spring semester, though.
Simba
must be 'cause you

sad.gif
karmakiller
I had some trouble with classes this semester, so my classes were fairly easy, seeing as I didn't get all of them that I wanted. I start registering for next semester tomorrow morning, but I've already picked out my classes and have a backup schedule just in case.
karmakiller
Since I have an undeclared major, I have to wait an extra two weeks cry.gif All the good classes are going to be full.
karmakiller
I know, I click on the class I plan on taking and there's only a few more open spots. I'm hoping that even if I end up on the waiting list that if I go to class and ask to stay that they'll let me. There were a couple students in my other classes who asked and the professor let them stay.
batman
I was only able to get into 4 of the 6 classes I need sad.gif

That just means I have to go into the class next semester and petition why I REALLY need those classes NOW. Fun.
applejaxkz
I'm glad I go to a technical school. My classes are 30 people max.
sixfive
QUOTE(applejaxkz @ Nov 19 2008, 01:28 PM) *
I'm glad I go to a technical school. My classes are 30 people max.

Have fun living a life of mediocrity.

I'm glad I'm going to a school that has the #2 highest pass rate of the BAR exam in Texas, also having one of the top business schools in Texas. It's nice being surrounded by thirty thousand people of my age and having stuff to do on campus, etc.

Etc.

etc.

But wait, I'm a loser because I play WoW. Maybe I should drop out and get auto admission to a technical school.
brooklyneast05
lol oh snap
Just_Dream
lol I got into all the classes I signed up for, so I'm set for Winter Quarter. cool.gif I guess the upside is that I'm taking 2 poli sci classes (easy to get into) and there's like 3-4 ochem teachers, and the other class is something that no one really cares too muc to sign up for.

JC - how does your uni's enrollment time go? For UCSD, students with the greatest amount of units are the ones who sign up earlier. HOWEVER, athletes do also have first priority, so that their class schedules do not conflict with their sports' schedules. Oh man, it sucks for the state college in San Diego (SDSU), since I heard that sophomores have the last enrollment time! :[ ELBAAAAA

Tung - yea wtf, dude that's now it always is for Japanese. =_= That's why I have to wait a whole year to consider retaking Japanese so I can actually finish the series. :[
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(Just_Dream @ Nov 19 2008, 04:16 PM) *
JC - how does your uni's enrollment time go? For UCSD, students with the greatest amount of units are the ones who sign up earlier. HOWEVER, athletes do also have first priority, so that their class schedules do not conflict with their sports' schedules. Oh man, it sucks for the state college in San Diego (SDSU), since I heard that sophomores have the last enrollment time! :[ ELBAAAAA

our athletes have first priority too. also the marching band has priority with the athletes since their schedule is very similar in nature and has to be worked around practice and what not. after that it goes by class, senior, junior, ect. but within each group it goes by advising appointments and how many hours you have. we have an "advising hold" on our account until we've met with an adviser, so the quicker you get in for your appointment the quicker your hold is taken off and you're put into a time group. that's why it KINDA could be my fault that i didn't get in since i was a little bit later than i could have been at getting advised but still. i think they could work out better options.

the thing that sucks is that im a junior, but technically i'm not becuase of credit hours. i missed pretty much all last fall semester due to a family death so that screwed me over and has put me behind. so i have a semester less of hours than other people my age so my priority rank is even lower because of that.

i'm sorta satisfied with my schedule i guess, not really, but it's not too bad. i better get into biological anthropology next semester or i'm going to have to beat some bitches up. how dare they deny a his science. stubborn.gif
Just_Dream
Ack, that sucks - I mean the whole advising appointment. Honestly, it could be more efficient. Did you take any classes over the summer? For us it helps because every unit counts. :]

I see a gettin' ready to beat someone, huh? whistling.gif That's okay, xmas.gif will help!
brooklyneast05
yeah it's especially a waste since i don't feel like i need an adviser at this point. i'll probably take summer classes though to try to catch up.

xmas.gifs know dat kung fu right der
batman
Hm. I don't think we have anything weird about registration. Meeting with an advisor is recommended but completely up to you. And the registration pretty much goes senior > juniors > sophomores > freshmen, no early athletic registrations, etc.

paperplane
I'm sure our athletes have priority because, like, it's UGA and that's all we care about here. I cannot imagine why sophomores would have last priority anywhere, though. That's weird. We can't register because we get advised (or approved by an adviser...I missed my advising appointment and still got approved after that date), but your registration time is still determined by the number of hours you've taken. I think getting advised lets you register "early," and if you don't get advised you have to register last.

I switched out the telecom class for a print media that gets out slightly less late. Still, ugh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.