Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cheating trial
Forums > Community Center > Academia > School
Hot-for-Scots
Hey. My Professor (in college) accused my boyfriend and I of academic dishonesty. In her report to the chancellor she stated that I admitted to cheating to her, which i never did. Now I have to go and have a hearing with the chancellor to see if she will impose any sanctions on me. Here is the situation.
My boyfriend and I have extremely busy schedules, and we literally have to schedule everything (school work, work, freetime) out weeks ahead of time. This class made us take a quiz online before each class. I would take mine first (they take about ten minutes to finish) but I would print a copy of mine (answers free) out so he could work on it at the same time. The teacher said that she saw that my boyfriend was doing the quizes too quickly (because he did his on paper while I was doing mine online, which I didnt think was cheating), and that the questions we missed were similar. We did not copy off of one another however, but we do study together and discuss the articles before we take the quiz. A lot of her questions are ambiguous, and a lot of pople get different ansers to the same question. I attributed our answers being similar to the fact that we study together, but she didnt believe us. She said she wouldnt kick us out of the class, but would fail us for the five quizes that she was suspect of, and leave the rest up to the chancellor.

I am afriad that if I tell my side of the story to the chancellor she will think I am making it up. I just want to get through this without getting kicked out of school. What should I do guys? I am really, really scared. Should I tell my story and maybe look like I'm lying (even thought they cant prove that) or should I plead guilty to something I didnt do and apologize?
karmakiller
Well, getting kicked out of a class is a big deal, and will probably show up on your record. I think you should just tell them what you told us. Let them know that you and your boyfriend study together a lot and that other students in that class have gotten the same problems wrong as you, etc. If you're being honest with us, then be honest with them. It might be a pain in the ass to go through the hearings, but it will be worth it in the end.
Hot-for-Scots
Thank you for replying Dee. I know that I wont be kicked out of the class, I'll just get 0's on the quizes she thinks we cheated on. I'm worried that the chancellor will kick me out of school.
One of my friends said I should say yes, I cheated and I'm sorry instead of telling the truth, because the truth sounds like a lie.
I dont know what to do, I cant stop crying. i've worked too long in school for some new professor to get me kicked out. sad.gif
Just_Dream
Just don't tell her that you two are dating or anything. That just makes your story sound worse than it really is.

So like, what happened with this? And don't lie - just tell the truth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.