Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anime haters
Forums > Community Center > Interests > Anime
brooklyneast05
am i the only one?

i don't understand anime. i don't know what "manga" is. i don't get why people are so obsessed. isn't it just some cartoons???? i dont' see people going crazy over daffy duck, and he's 12 times cooler (and blacker)

HELP
Melissa
Different culture, different interests, etc.

Aside from Spirited Away and Kiki, the Delivery Witch (or something or another), I'm not really a fan of anime, either. Can't really say I hate it, though, more like I just don't understand the hype.
schizo
I don't get it either. I vaguely remember watching Sailor Moon and Pokemon when I was little...but that's about it. The drawings can be very pretty, but I can never get into reading or watching any of it.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(----- @ Oct 31 2008, 04:57 PM) *
Aside from Spirited Away and Kiki, the Delivery Witch (or something or another)

Kiki's Delivery Service.

There are some anime and manga series with really good, original storylines. Then there are the overplayed ones that I got tired of, which is why I basically fell out of reading manga. I've only seen three complete anime series since I don't have the patience for anime. And no, manga isn't just cartoons; it's nothing like what you see on American TV. You'd never liken, say, Rurouni Kenshin to any typical children's Saturday morning cartoon. Nor is it like American comic books and graphic novels.
brooklyneast05
manga? anime? i don't get the difference
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 31 2008, 06:01 PM) *
manga? anime? i don't get the difference

Manga is what's published in book form. Anime is, well, animated.
venti-anemoi
I think it's a culture thing. Not to be racist, but I've never seen/heard of a black person showing any interest in anime or manga. The few white people who do are often looked upon negatively, which I think is grossly unfair.

Asians who are into it are somewhat normal.
tokyo-rose
QUOTE(venti-anemoi @ Oct 31 2008, 10:07 PM) *
I think it's a culture thing. Not to be racist, but I've never seen/heard of a black person showing any interest in anime or manga. The few white people who do are often looked upon negatively, which I think is grossly unfair.

I never really saw any black people interested in animanga until last year, when I saw one reading Chibi Vampire. I sometimes see a few reading manga at Barnes & Noble. And I agree about the unfairness; everyone should be able to enjoy animanga if it interests them.
sixfive
Holy shit the other week I was at the Apple store and I saw this mega gangster black guy watching some girly anime on one of the mac pros. It cracked me up.
berrypop90
QUOTE(venti-anemoi @ Oct 31 2008, 10:07 PM) *

The majority of my anime geek friends and black/half-black. Actually, most people I've ever met that are into anime are black. I've never thought about it before. Huh. Well, anyways...
datass
i only like a few, some of the drawings are so ridiculous though. like a 9 year old girl with c cup sized boobs.
Simba
QUOTE(venti-anemoi @ Oct 31 2008, 09:07 PM) *

Really?

Brandon Saunders, for one. Samuel L. Jackson starred in AFRO SAMURAI. Ha ha ha ha.

I don't have anything against anime, but if I watch one, I pretty much judge it the same way I'd judge any other T.V. show or movie. If it's got a good concept and ish, I'll like it.

One thing though, Anime does tend to have more freedom when it comes to creating psychedelic/imaginary scenes.
PanicxPanda
Well, I can see where everyone is coming from, not knowing what the hype is about.

Coming from a fan, this is my view:
It's exactly the same as comic books.
You see people getting Batman and Superman tattoos, and there's no question. It just shows that this certain person is a big comic book fan.
So, if someone's designing their layout and avatars according to anime, it just shows they're really into a certain series.

Anime and manga is just a way to tell stories. As with books like Harry Potter or Twilight, there's bound to be a group of people that are very passionate about it. People who are swept up into a captivating story.

I may be obsessed with a few manga characters, but I also have a few crushes on videogame characters (and no, not Japanese things like Final Fantasy) and musicians.

It's all just things you like. laugh.gif
fameONE
Brandon Saunders, for one.

THANKS, AC.

I know plenty of Black people who are anime-otakus.

Someone should draft up an anime starter kit.

Personally, I've been subjecting people I know to Death Note this past week. Each person was an "anime hater" but they all liked the series. Now, little by little, I'll introduce them to more.
synatribe
I dont like anime and Im asian
HaruHaruko
i like anime and im asain
Joanne
I've never been a huge fan of anime, nor have I ever understood the craze around it, but I can't say I hate it. I mean, I grew up watching shows like Sailor Moon and Pokemon! And I recently watched GTO and totally loved it. I think it really depends on the type.
sixfive
QUOTE(fameONE @ Nov 5 2008, 10:44 PM) *
THANKS, AC.

Personally, I've been subjecting people I know to Death Note this past week. Each person was an "anime hater" but they all liked the series. Now, little by little, I'll introduce them to more.

Idk I find things like showing people the cool scenes from Bleach or Naruto to be a good intro. Big fights, and the such.
Simba
QUOTE(kryogenix @ Nov 8 2008, 09:50 PM) *
Idk I find things like showing people the cool scenes from Bleach or Naruto to be a good intro. Big fights, and the such.
lol, naruto is usually considered low tier as far as anime goes

then again, I'm no otaku
sixfive
Don't bother me none. I still enjoy a lot of the fights. Then again, I'm nowhere near as into it as say, my roommate who has like 200gb of anime. Maybe more, idk.

Oh and, Ruroni Kenshin :]
Tung
Steven was borned in the wrong skin color.

His posts in the KPOP/JPOP Club, and now this is starting to make me wonder...hmmm..
sixfive
Tung, I've always been like this. I'm also very white at times, it varies :]

i.e. I like football, domestic cars, and grilling.
gojira
okay i'm not a fan of anime either, i don't read mangas but i love miyazaki films...

srly check out tekkon kinkreet.
cakedout
fuck that, hellsing is sick, i dont get why arjuna refuses to watch it
Simba
ay ninja I just don't got time stubborn.gif
gojira
watch tekkon watch tekkon watch tekkon
Simba
want link
venti-anemoi
QUOTE(berrypop90 @ Oct 31 2008, 08:40 PM) *
The majority of my anime geek friends and black/half-black. Actually, most people I've ever met that are into anime are black. I've never thought about it before. Huh. Well, anyways...

Really? That's pretty cool. Introduce me sometime XD

Brandon Saunders, for one. Samuel L. Jackson starred in AFRO SAMURAI. Ha ha ha ha.

Not to say that all black people don't like anime, just that I've never come across any. But then again, I forgot to mention that I live in a mainly Asian community, so I suppose I don't really have a right to talk.

I dont like anime and Im asian

Again, not to say that all Asians like it. There are some who I don't dare mention anime around.

lol, naruto is usually considered low tier as far as anime goes

It is, but I don't think it's because the series itself is bad (I liked it for 200something chapters, then stopped when I realized I had 200something more to go @_@ and got interested in other stuff). The otakuness can be out of hand sometimes.
sleepwalkerdreams
Ah, I like Anime and I'm Asian. ^__^
My black friend likes Anime and is totally obsessed with Kpop.
It's really weird seeing her sing in Korean, not that
I speak it, but it's still weird.

I know my Indian friend likes Kpop too.
And my Spanish friend also likes Anime/Kpop.
She can even write in Hangul. xD
Just_Dream
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 31 2008, 12:43 PM) *
i dont' see people going crazy over daffy duck, and he's 12 times cooler (and blacker)

Donald duck wants xmas.gif to tell seasonal0.gif to tell daffy duck to put on some damn clothes.

QUOTE(jaeminnie @ Oct 31 2008, 02:06 PM) *
Manga is what's published in book form. Anime is, well, animated.

Manga is more comics or graphic novels. Anime is actually just the japanese word for animation.

Some people actually say "anime" is a genre, but really it's just Japanese animation. Genres are more like fantasy, romance, sci-fi, etc. There are different genres within anime as well. Like Gundam Seed is more sci-fi/mecha, whereas Rurouni Kenshin is more historical/action. It's just that there is a distinct difference in style when you consider japanese animation and um... American animation? lol. What I'm saying is that the style in art, storytelling, and characterization is quite different. You have to consider the cultural differences between Japan and the U.S. and how they shape animation.

Once seasonal0.gif finds sum'n he likes, he'll know what xmas.gif is talkin' 'bout. cool.gif
lovescream
I like anime because the overall stories/plot of the shows are so much better than MOST cartoons/shows I watch on my own TV. Idc if they're cartoons.

Consider Death Note, for example. That's one really popular show that I'm sure everyone's heard of. I think the whole show itself is a genius concept. Well, now overtime.. it's kind of like, 8.5/10 instead of 10/10 if I were to rate it. :P

AND I only know a couple of black people who are into anime, but it's all Naruto. >_______<" ROFL. This black guy I found hot became suddenly okay to me when I found out he loved Naruto. Sooo freaky.
And most Asians I know are more into kpop than anime, actually. I'm, like, alone on my boat of anime. :P Mostly white people in my school are really into anime, but they're to a point where it's otaku-scary.
Maccabee
QUOTE(venti-anemoi @ Oct 31 2008, 08:07 PM) *

I agree.
Maccabee
What are some anime shows.
shanaynay
Well, Code Geass, Death Note, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Chobits, Lucky Star, for a start XD.
Joanne
Great Teacher Onizuka!!!
Maccabee
I have never heard of any of those?
Do you guys live in america?
KINGdinguhling
the f*ck, you been living under a rock? also your sig sucks, thats not even the best line in talledega nights
Tung
He's been homeschool. so yeah he's pretty much been under a rock.
LittleMissSunshine
lol, i think anime/manga are like books except they convert to shows and they are books that have images! like a graphic novel/or comic? lol it's just for entertainment and culture.. lol
salcha4u
QUOTE(shanaynay @ Jan 10 2009, 09:52 AM) *
Well, Code Geass, Death Note, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Chobits, Lucky Star, for a start XD.

Wow Chobits. That was like THE thing for junior high asian girls back then.
shanaynay
QUOTE(salcha4u @ Jan 10 2009, 10:27 PM) *
Wow Chobits. That was like THE thing for junior high asian girls back then.

I <3 the perverted humor in Chobits. I also love how most of cB thinks I'm a girl, it's all good.

@ the one guy who hasn't heard of anything I listed, yeah I think you live under a rock. If you're willing you could download them through torrents.
salcha4u
It's ok, I still think you're a girl.

Oya, and I've never been/will be an anime fan..
shanaynay
it might help if I change my avatar and signature to something more guyish, but I like it this way.
salcha4u
Rofl whatever floats your boat.
gojira
yeah you need something only manly men have for avatars
superstitious
QUOTE(fameONE @ Nov 5 2008, 10:44 PM) *
THANKS, AC.

Death Note is great introductory anime, in my opinion. It's quick, to the point, the writing is fantastic... hell, I don't think I have anything bad to say about the series.

I'm not anime obsessive, by any means. However, there is some anime I truly adore.

I'd say hop into Cowboy Bebop, because even if you don't like the anime, the music kicks ass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.