Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: floating house, cities, neighborhoods.
Forums > Community Center > Debate
MilitaryFlower
I was watching discovery channel the other night and there was this guy talking about building cities and such on the water uses foam on the inside and cement around the outside.They've already built one house like it. But do you think entire cities would float. more importantly do you think its a good idea?

Personally I think its a cool idea itself but I don't like it...
Look at our cities like NY and see how trashy they are. Just think if that happened to our oceans.I just don't think so.
Simba
Los seres humanos están dispuestos a utilizar cada centímetro de la Tierra así, eh.
MilitaryFlower
wow I know what that said...i think...

[[taking spanish paying off]]
Comptine
Btw, I live in and love NYC. So, thanks for calling my home town trashy.

Most of our planet is covered with water and many people are complaining about running out of land to live on. Lots of places already made manmade land and it seems to work. Just the more out into the water/ocean you go, you get a bigger depth and much more volatile weather.
whoahitznikki
actually there's already some towns that are made on water...

"Since Shanghai is situated in a delta (the Yangtze Delta, to be exact) the natural landscape is extremely flat. Also because of its location on a delta and because people have been living in the region for hundreds of years, there are small ‘water towns’ in Shanghai’s suburbs and in the surrounding region. These water towns vary in size, popularity, and familiarity to Westerners"

click to enlarge
dannyordinary
I think this is dumb . It'll just cause more pollution and problems . I think the whole world should just try to down the numbers of people there are (i.e. enforce laws like only 2 children per family, or one) .

It would make things easier .. but that's another debate.
idkilikepoprocks
QUOTE(ChesterRevolver @ Aug 27 2008, 12:28 AM) *
I think this is dumb . It'll just cause more pollution and problems . I think the whole world should just try to down the numbers of people there are (i.e. enforce laws like only 2 children per family, or one) .

It would make things easier .. but that's another debate.

I want 6 kids and NOTHING WILL STOP ME! ... and you know what that will prompt? infanticide... well depending on how you carry out that law.

Anyways, it's a cool idea, but not realistic. I don't even think it can work until the new millennium..if we get that far. I don't like the foam idea either. It won't be able to hold up the weight of its inhabitants even with cement as its crust O_O
MilitaryFlower
QUOTE(whoahitznikki @ Aug 24 2008, 12:35 AM) *

Thats in water not on it...

And in places where pollution is a little less...(i don't know the word)...
I think this is dumb . It'll just cause more pollution and problems.

agreed the earth[land] is polluted enough...no need to mess up the ocean as well...
ForgiveTheSinner
I think it's a pretty cool idea. If they can enforce laws like in Singapore then littering and all that wouldn't be a problem.
mackenziee
I'd like for it to happen, but I think it will take awhile to say that we can make cities float.

This was a picture in a video that I think was from Discovery Channel about floating cities.

Insurmountable
I don't know, nor would I care if it came to it. There's plenty of water out there, I just don't know how well it could really stand being out in the ocean or something. There are islands none the less. I've seen houses built on small islands out in the middle of lakes and stuff, I guess there isn't any harm it. I can't see how its a bad idea either. When your living in heavily populated cities around the water and you can't build up or out any more, the water is the one place left.
Tomates
I dont think it would work out. I mean they would have to make them stable as hell.
Plus what if theres too much weight?
you have to worry about storms and water flooding.
What if its in places where there are tsunami's?

Also i see it being a huge potential for more water pollution.
Not to mention the houses or whatever will probably be a lot of money.
Also how would people get to work or school easily?
SharperMyspace
I think it would be a cool idea. It would be like a little village or community. It would be awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.