Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Schizophrenia and Religion?
Forums > Community Center > Debate
ernestprongs
Wrong topic name.
karmakiller
LOL, sorry there's something that I find to be amusing about this.

Well, have you taken into consideration that religious people "talk" to their god, but their god doesn't talk back?

Trees and animals will "talk" to schizo's, but they don't talk to religious people. Unless that person is a religious schizophrenic.
ernestprongs
Have you taken into consideration that people who "talk" to their god, have said they have gotten a response back? I don't understand how you can possibly say "their god doesn't talk back" when you don't know that. Sorry I fail to see the humor about this?
Melissa
You're taking the term "schizophrenia" from a wikipedia entry and not thinking about the deeper contexts of the term. If you've studied this "mental illness," you'll know that there are medical treatments for it as well as certain symptoms such as paranoia, etc. that are what lead to the diagnosis "schizophrenia."

When you find the pill that will "cure" religion, please call and inform us.
Melissa
Oh, while you're at it, why don't you diagnose all the children who believe in Santa Clause as schizophrenics, too.
ernestprongs
No no, I completely agree with you, I guess my real question(because remember I never really claimed to know what I was talking about, it was originally and still is a question) was, why do some people call someone who "talks to trees" etc, "not 'normal'", but not to someone who talks to a higher being? Forget the whole schizo mumbojumbo, if I could change the topic, I would, because it ultimately wasn't really what I meant.
Reidar
Because religion has a persistent context dating back to centuries of worship. It is a refined, systematic doctrine with historically-significant icons. Find a tree-worshiper who was inspired by his or her love of foliage in the same way that Martin Luther King drew on a higher being, and your analogy will hold some water.

That doesn't make it any less absurd as an amiable truth, for me, but I can recognize its appeal, however frivolous I believe it to be.
ernestprongs
thank you very much.
karmakiller
Reidar shuts down topics.
shoryuken
dizz schizo religinn shiett madd gaay... alll nuttinn buttt makk upp shiett..
QUOTE(karmakiller @ Jul 9 2008, 09:13 PM) *
LOL, sorry there's something that I find to be amusing about this.

Well, have you taken into consideration that religious people "talk" to their god, but their god doesn't talk back?
Trees and animals will "talk" to schizo's, but they don't talk to religious people. Unless that person is a religious schizophrenic.

QUOTE(ernestprongs @ Jul 9 2008, 09:30 PM) *
Have you taken into consideration that people who "talk" to their god, have said they have gotten a response back? I don't understand how you can possibly say "their god doesn't talk back" when you don't know that. Sorry I fail to see the humor about this?

DEMM PPLL NEEDAA TAKK SUMM PIX... stubborn.gif stubborn.gif
nikx618
billions of people believe in a higher being.
people think ^religious people are normal, because
they probably believe in God, or a higher being too.
therefore accepting their belief as normal.
&i guess if there were billions of tree talkers
then, well, it would be normal? cause then it
would be a common practice. and people wouldn't
think it to unorthodox or anything.
shoryuken
QUOTE(nikx618 @ Jul 24 2008, 02:15 PM) *
billions of people believe in a higher being.
people think ^religious people are normal, because
they probably believe in God, or a higher being too.
therefore accepting their belief as normal.
&i guess if there were billions of tree talkers
then, well, it would be normal? cause then it
would be a common practice. and people wouldn't
think it to unorthodox or anything.

suu wat dizz othaa higghurr beein... stubborn.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.