Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Embeded CSS: Myspace, Gaiaonline, and other CSSable profiles.
Forums > Resource Center > Webmasters' Corner > Webmasters' Corner Resolved Topics
SortedDetails
So I'm working on a gaiaonline layout. Looks beautiful so far in Firefox. Firefox never fails me. Ever. So knowing how much IE sucks, I decided to check the damage.

In IE7x the page isn't all that messed up. Maybe a pixel or so off.. That PNG problem with hex code not quite being the same shade as the image color.. Simple and easy things. A simple * in front of a new line of CSS and the changes for IE..
But then I looked at my page in IE6x, and the damage was horrific. The changes I make for the all around IE browser will still cause IE6x to have issues.

Now here's what I'm wondering, is there a way to have an exclusion specific to IE6x without having to call for a DIFFERENT style sheet?

I mean, because you just can't do that when just editing a profile layout.

I hope I came across clear in my question.
SortedDetails
*Gasp* I'm shocked no one has answered!

.......cB, am I going to loose faith in you?
fixtatik
as far as i know, there aren't conditional comments that you can use in cascading style sheets on a social networking site. myspace filters them out, and while i'm not familiar with the others, i'm sure they do as well.

the best you can do is probably start from scratch. as you're building the style sheet, be sure to keep everything standards-compliant. periodically check to make sure it looks right in internet explorer (all versions). if it doesn't, you can use the asterisk you've been using, or you can add an underscore in front of CSS attributes to have only internet explorer recognize it.
heyo-captain-jack
Does gaia support PHP?
SortedDetails
Sorry it took so long to respond.

I'm pretty sure they don't.
fixtatik
i'd doubt any social networking profile would support PHP. you can do far more damage to a security system with PHP than you could with javascript, and most filter out javascript anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.