Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
MissFits
I am pretty excited about this since it's been banned for almost a century.
Anyone going to try it?
transcendentalism
it sounds really cool, but i could possibly be the worst person with alcohol on here.

the absinthe spoon from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe) looks freaking awesome, haha. i've never heard of absinthe until now.
MissFits
ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Well, it's alcohol that makes you trip. I've never tried it, but I have always wanted to. But, it's supposed to taste awful.

I am so excited, it's ridiculous.

It's only been banned in the US, I think. Most other countries it's been available.
fire
Its not banned here, it isnt that great, it tastes like liqourice and makes your mouth numb, a lot of the absinthe out there doesnt even come close to the real thing.
MissFits
That's what I read.
I have researched it a lot, and their are good brands. I don't know when they will be available here, though.
Does it really make you trip? I've never talked to anyone that's tried it.
audory
my friends tried it on a trip to europe
they said after one shot if it, they were out
and they're pretty big guys soo... i'm guessing it's pretty legit.
MissFits
I have a pretty high tolerance when it comes to alcohol... for a girl my size, anyway.

I just don't want to be let down.

Do you know the brand they had?
Laughsalot
^yeah i wanna know the brand too. maybe i'll go to germany someday and go out with my cousins and ask them about that.
omg tha'ts so cool. damn. i ddrank 3 beers yesterday. and didn't get red or anything. just a little silly and felt like the world was tilting alittle. but that's it. i so wanna try that absinthe. i've known about it a long time already. i'm only 15 so i don't know if vietnam has any. i think so. vietnam does have it's nice points sometimes. whistling.gif
MissFits
You live in Vietnam?
Is there a major alcohol provider near you anywhere? What's the drinking age there?

fire
The brand I own is Lafée, its the best of the imitation absinthe, the thing that makes you trippy is the thurjone, but theres hardly enough in there to do so, its the 70% alcohol that'll do it.
MissFits
I don't understand buying absinthe if it doesn't have that shit in it.

If I wanted liquor I'd by vodka.

I wish I knew of a good brand.
fire
Yeah I know, go figure, theres half a bottle of Absinthe here and no ones touching it.

http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/

aaannnnndd my spoon.
MissFits
I don't get those spoons. I have I spoon like that for straining noodles and I think it would work just fine... Don't most people have those spoons?

I am really excited to get it. I think I am going to buy some sort of bundle thing in which I get three bottles for 150+. Maybe this could be my Christmas gift to John.
I just want a good brand that will work the way it's supposed to.
fire
Yeaaaaahhhhhhh no.

http://www.ttb.gov/industry_circulars/arch...07/2007_05.html
pandamonium
i think i had some at my bday party. but i was already way to gone to even think about drinking that stuff.
MissFits
I have never come across it in my life.
Fire, I read on AOL news that it is legal. Their news stories cycle so I can't find it right now, but when it's back up I will post a link.
Laughsalot
QUOTE(MissFits @ Dec 19 2007, 03:03 PM) *
You live in Vietnam?
Is there a major alcohol provider near you anywhere? What's the drinking age there?

yeah it's only temporary though. i'll go back to the u.s. in march. there is not drinking age. you can drink at any age. it's just not reccomended for the littler kids. what do you mean a major alcohol provider? no there's no big companies or stores that sell only alcohol here. you just go around and find the stuff in supermarkets or in markets if you really want it. but i think in all the bars are definitely gonna have it. there's no legal age to a bar either.
MissFits
That's insane!
I don't know if it's legal there, but it probably is.
It wouldn't hurt to try tongue.gif
fire
What I was getting at was that the Absinthe thats legal in the US has to be considered Thurjone free.
tokyo-rose
I couldn't remember what Absinthe was until I read the first few posts here, haha. I won't be trying it. It'd probably make me pass out fast since I've never drank any alcohol. :P
MissFits
^You've never even had wine? I've never met anyone over 13 that's never had alcohol. If that's the case, your my hero.

QUOTE(fire @ Dec 19 2007, 06:52 PM) *
What I was getting at was that the Absinthe thats legal in the US has to be considered Thurjone free.

That's not what AOL news told me cry.gif
I feel betrayed.
You can always order it on the internet, but there is a chance that customs or someone will take it and I wouldn't want to pay that much for something and not get it.
S-Majere
Haha. Interests - "absinthe"

I'd love to try it, I don't think it's banned in the UK either. I might be wrong...
MissFits
You can order it from the UK online, so I am assuming you can just buy it there.
It's always had this really desirable stigma for me because it's illegal. I need to try it at least once.
xTINAA
Oooh it's legal again? Crazy! I've had it before. I don't like it just because of the flavor.
karmakiller
People have always said that since Van Gogh drank that stuff it made him paint the way he did. Maybe it'll help you paint some trippy stuff. We have some really old absinthe spoons that my grandparents had for some reason.
lojay
My godfather and cousin were just trying to get my brother and I to drink some the other night - I was driving, sadly, so none for me. I can't remember if my brother had the Absinthe or the Tequila though... Crazy, my uncle has had Absinthe for like years now though... I wonder if he his is Thurjone free or not... he usually carries pretty hard liquor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.