Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best State to Live In
Forums > Community Center > Debate
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tung
What's your opinion on the "best" state to live in the United States? The answer is no doubt California. Why? We have a diverse climate and geography. We have the most diversity in ethnicity from 58 different countries. We have better beaches than any other coast. We also have one of the most productive agriculture areas in the world and the largest in any of the U.S. We also have great aerospace, petroleum, and computer and information technology. Our economy ranks in the top ten in the world. Oh yeah, it doesn't hurt that the majority of people in California are far more better looking. We got Los Angeles, and the sandy San Diego beaches, and the ever clear warm temperature in the Bay Area.
jeanna
Why not New York?

i've never been to any, so.
DoubleJ
Are you kidding me... New Jersey is where it's at. I must admit though, I think I am a Californian trapped in A Jersey Boys body.
Tung
QUOTE(jeanna @ Dec 7 2007, 04:49 PM) *
Why not New York?
i've never been to any, so.

Explain why New York is better than California?

QUOTE(reptilia @ Dec 7 2007, 05:04 PM) *
Are you kidding me... New Jersey is where it's at. I must admit though, I think I am a Californian trapped in A Jersey Boys body.

How so?

If you are going to claim a state, at least give your reasons.
Steven
QUOTE(tungmyBANANA @ Dec 7 2007, 06:47 PM) *
What's your opinion on the "best" state to live in the United States? The answer is no doubt California. Why? We have a diverse climate and geography. We have the most diversity in ethnicity from 58 different countries. We have better beaches than any other coast. We also have one of the most productive agriculture areas in the world and the largest in any of the U.S. We also have great aerospace, petroleum, and computer and information technology. Our economy ranks in the top ten in the world. Oh yeah, it doesn't hurt that the majority of people in California are far more better looking. We got Los Angeles, and the sandy San Diego beaches, and the ever clear warm temperature in the Bay Area.

Climate diversity - Texas has it
Ethnic Diversity? Have you been to Houston?
Beaches, we lose.
We have tons of agriculture too, and we have NASA and the MD Anderson Cancer Research which is a world renowned cancer treatment center (in Houston).
From what I've heard y'alls weather rivals ours for warmth.
We're bigger than y'all.
We use y'all.
We use the death penalty. If someone kills a Texan, we kill them back.
We're more affordable to live at.
We're not smug.

I'm sorry but New Jersey's New York's armpit.
Insurmountable
We use the death penalty. If someone kills a Texan, we kill them back

I like that, I vote for Texas.

I would say my own state but I personally don't like it. We have a few cities that are the top 10 list of safest cities to live in. We have some pretty decent schools for sports and medical... yea its not that great.
dannyordinary
MA. nothing ever really happens here.

or you can live anywhere and just ignore all
the bad stuff, hehe
Comptine

NEW YORK CITY is where it's at. But that's not a state.

ph34r.gif

No but seriously. New York as a state is pretty cool. We got quiet suburbs, small towns/cities, and the best city in the world. Transportation is really easy to and from the far reaches of the state to the hub. We get all four seasons. The best water.
deplorable
uh. ontario. is the new state.
province.
meh.
MissHygienic
I vote for California, not Southern California and not Oakland. Nice scenery; I don't hear them say, "car" like "cah"; great shopping; great schools; the environment in California is much nicer than places in the East coast.
Simba
I hope Cali gets decimated in an earthquake and separates from continental U.S.

Just playin'. I love California (I was born there).
WEST SIDE!
RAWRstephishere
California is the best state to live in.

Texas sucks.
bat19
Wisconsin. Cause no one gives a shit about wisconsin, there will never be a telethon about all the people who die of heatstroke each year or how everyone in wisconsin has diabetes because of all the cheese, no, no one gives a f**k about wisconsin. And you might be thinking "Well then why would that be the best state to live in?" Because of one reason. When I say "no one" cares about wisconsin, that means "No One." No Hillary Clinton bitch, no Barack Obama n-word, no george bush, no ted kennedy, and especially (and this is the most important), no terrorists. You will never in your life hear about terrorists bombing fuckin wisconsin (to all the brave men and women who have dedicated their lives to Wis-Tap, the wisconsin anti-terrorist movement, you have wasted your lives. Go kill yourself, preferably in a suicide bombing(LETS GET THIS BITCH ON THE MAP!!!)).
Stumbleine
I love San Francisco. Utah BLOWS!!!
Steven
In Texas you're legal at 17.
transcendentalism
^win.

ever heard of debbie does dallas?
because we have eva, steven, and michelle, and probs more.
Tung
We have Sally, Anna, Trish, Elba, Tina, Me, Christina, and so much more.
Steven
Because bringing individuals over policies and generalities is a reason a state is better
Tung
Why do most immigrants go to California as their top choice when moving to the U.S?
MissHygienic
Because they arrive by boats, and they have to land somewhere on the coast. Angel or Ellis Island.
Tung
Fair enough.

Bush is from Texas. _unsure.gif
transcendentalism
so is jessica simpson, what a coincidence
we have cow-tipping :(

we need someone to argue a more random state... like tennessee.
ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS
Tung
I think California and Texas right now are very close to a tie.

If you'd like tremendous variety of geography (deserts to redwood forests, mountains, beaches and lakes), great weather, interesting variety of people, good economy, and a mostly left-learning philosophy, come to California.

If you like the geography of prairies, plains, piney woods and gulf beaches, really hot/cold weather, cowboy consciousness coupled with a few cultural centers, and a mostly right-learning philosophy (its death penalty executions are four times as high as any other state), visit Texas.
Steven
People land in California because it takes up the bulk of the western coast. Also there's a lot of work for immigrants. Texas has the same issue. We get all the walk-overs and the certified lawn mowers.
Steven
(its death penalty executions are four times as high as any other state), visit Texas.

I support this statement.
shoryuken
AFRICA
CowerPointyObjects
QUOTE(Steven @ Dec 9 2007, 01:09 AM) *
In Texas you're legal at 17.

Legal in what way?

I vote not Georgia. Georgia sucks pretty much every way.
Having never been to Texas or California, I'm not sure my vote for either one would be particularly valid, but I'd be way more interested in going to California than I would Texas. Beaches, better climate (though really I hate the heat, so I might lose either way), I'm very liberal (so the whole high death penalty thing is not a selling point for me), and other more important things I'm sure.
foxx
We have beaches too? xD
Our nice ones are in Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Galveston Island, etc?
the ones i can think of atleast
<333
Tung
QUOTE(CowerPointyObjects @ Dec 10 2007, 11:18 AM) *
Legal in what way?

I vote not Georgia. Georgia sucks pretty much every way.
Having never been to Texas or California, I'm not sure my vote for either one would be particularly valid, but I'd be way more interested in going to California than I would Texas. Beaches, better climate (though really I hate the heat, so I might lose either way), I'm very liberal (so the whole high death penalty thing is not a selling point for me), and other more important things I'm sure.

Texas weather is either too hot, or too cold. In California the weather is neither. It's usually warm. If it's winter, the temperature won't be too cold, and during summer, it won't be too hot. That's what makes California wonderful.
foxx
you've never been to texas tung sad.gif
plus atm, its mid 60-70's
i like it atm
xD
Tung
QUOTE(RAWRstephishere @ Dec 8 2007, 09:08 PM) *
California is the best state to live in.
Texas sucks.

Actually, I have been. I have relatives there. And I can tell you its relatively boring there. Not much to do, and the beaches don't compare to California's.

Even Steph, who lives in Texas, thinks California is better.
missnh
QUOTE(chocokissez @ Dec 10 2007, 01:19 PM) *
We have beaches too? xD
Our nice ones are in Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Galveston Island, etc?
the ones i can think of atleast
<333

You mean LIQUID SHIT ISLAND? Galveston is FILTHY and DISGUSTING! You can die from swimming in it! It's worse than the restrooms in China!

(Steven says he agrees)
foxx
lol.
touche. [sp?]
<3
1angel3
I say North Carolina when it comes to weather. It's been years since we had a tornado or a earthquake or any bad weather in Winston-Salem. Now other cities gets bad weather so I guess you can't escape that right?

I agree with California being the best state when it comes to diversity but it's the weather in some places that bothers me. North Carolina is a great place to retire. Georgia is a great place for education and finding good jobs

So I have to say Georgia is the best place if I had to pick one but I think a lot of places are great.
CowerPointyObjects
QUOTE(1angel3 @ Dec 11 2007, 06:32 PM) *
I say North Carolina when it comes to weather. It's been years since we had a tornado or a earthquake or any bad weather in Winston-Salem. Now other cities gets bad weather so I guess you can't escape that right?

I agree with California being the best state when it comes to diversity but it's the weather in some places that bothers me. North Carolina is a great place to retire. Georgia is a great place for education and finding good jobs

So I have to say Georgia is the best place if I had to pick one but I think a lot of places are great.

What?!? Have you looked at the national rankings lately? So no, they're not second to last anymore, but that hardly makes it great. I haven't checked our unemployment rate lately, but good god Georgia isn't the "best place" next to much of anywhere.
Steven
QUOTE(CowerPointyObjects @ Dec 11 2007, 09:17 PM) *
What?!? Have you looked at the national rankings lately? So no, they're not second to last anymore, but that hardly makes it great. I haven't checked our unemployment rate lately, but good god Georgia isn't the "best place" next to much of anywhere.

I'd just ignore her. Unless you're going to make a personal attack she'll be too dumb to respond with anything other than "Oh I see" or "I guess" or "I agree."
ersatz
Illinois. It's really nice...if you've been there. It's got the interesting-ness and not too horrible of weather, etc. etc. Yeah.
CowerPointyObjects
QUOTE(Steven @ Dec 11 2007, 10:22 PM) *
I'd just ignore her. Unless you're going to make a personal attack she'll be too dumb to respond with anything other than "Oh I see" or "I guess" or "I agree."

I was genuinely hoping to get some idea of where she was coming from, but that is probably asking too much.

Illinois is too flat to be the best state. It's just depressing.
...although, I might be thinking of Indiana. Aren't the like the same place anyway, minus Chicago?
Steven
I LOATHE ILLINOIS BECAUSE OF THEIR COPS. Also they have weird bathrooms in rest stops. The stalls only go up half way Oo.
ersatz
QUOTE(CowerPointyObjects @ Dec 11 2007, 09:24 PM) *
I was genuinely hoping to get some idea of where she was coming from, but that is probably asking too much.

Illinois is too flat to be the best state. It's just depressing.
...although, I might be thinking of Indiana. Aren't the like the same place anyway, minus Chicago?

NORTHWEST Indiana is pretty much the same as Illinois. The rest of Indiana...belongs in the South.
CowerPointyObjects
Except that we have more hills!
dustbunny
we got mo bounce in california
MissHygienic
QUOTE(doiink @ Dec 11 2007, 11:40 PM) *
we got mo bounce in california

It ain't no thang.
transcendentalism
QUOTE(1angel3 @ Dec 11 2007, 07:32 PM) *

actually, if you've done some research on tsunamis, north carolina is doomed to be hit by a tsunami worse than any of the ones we've had in the past couple years. /gg

i love depressing documentaries.

and i do believe that in the early years of american history, all the inmates and nasty people were sent to georgia. haha. i can't tell you the years, but it's definitely in the textbook somewhere..

i personally love blazing texas weather.
CowerPointyObjects
Well it was also supposed to be a free state, but we all know how that turned out.
sheridan_whiteside
Has anyone yet mentioned the state of Inebriation? Truly a fine place to dwell.
Kontroll
NY is okay.

High taxes.

Hot and humid summers.

Cold and dry winters.

Awesome during the Fall, though.

No beaches really, except on Long Island, but not much to see there.

If I'm not mistaken, Colonie, NY was voted the 6th safest city in the US. Kudos.

We are very industrial.

We're a bunch of assholes.

We have one of the greatest cities in the world. NYC, bitches.

We have the Adirondacks.

Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame, even though I hate baseball, it's still pretty cool that we got it.

The show Law and Order takes place in NY.

As does King of Queens.

A gallon of gas costs 3.20 roughly.

James Brown started out his career playing in Albany.

Overall, I'd say NY is a pretty good place to be. If you can get past some of the bullshit.
Insurmountable
QUOTE(1angel3 @ Dec 11 2007, 06:32 PM) *

ha-ha. Have you gone to other parts of north carolina? Do you know how f**king bad the hurricanes are for us on the coast, it sucks. The summers suck as well >_> North Carolina is the last state I would ever want to live in >_>

QUOTE(JakeKKing @ Dec 14 2007, 01:27 AM) *
We're a bunch of selfish assholes.

Yea thats what I like about you guys, especially your driving habits because the people down here are f**king idiots >_>

QUOTE(revoltaire @ Dec 12 2007, 12:19 AM) *
actually, if you've done some research on tsunamis, north carolina is doomed to be hit by a tsunami worse than any of the ones we've had in the past couple years. /gg

i love depressing documentaries.

and i do believe that in the early years of american history, all the inmates and nasty people were sent to georgia. haha. i can't tell you the years, but it's definitely in the textbook somewhere..

i personally love blazing texas weather.

Hmm really? Figures pinch.gif
DoubleJ
Ok um New Jersey because:
The shore
It's close proximity to New York
All the Ivy League Schools are a stone's throw away from here
We have one of the best school systems in the country
Salt water taffy
They have Eddie and I enough said....NJ WINS!
moorepocket
new england, wherever that is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.