Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you have an eye for design
Forums > Resource Center > Designers' Café
davinci
or if you're developing one, how often do you get the urge to fix something that irks you so much? Posters, billboards, typography, a layout, a graphic, colors that contrast or clash too much, bad coding, etc.?

Also, do you just stare at something because it appeals to you design-wise? I'll stare at a shirt with an amazing pattern/design and see if I can remember and recreate it in my own way digitally. Of course, I forget and I can't recreate it but I'll just stare and get weird looks.
alovesopure
Yes, I do. Especially most posters/billboards. But also, layouts, and other things of that sort.
Also, bad coding! jeeez, Shoot meee.

And omg yeah! Anytime I'm in Barnes&noble and I walk past something with a pretty pattern/design, I always stop.
It happens everytime I am in there... seriously

I do tend to stare when people have pretty/awesome/cool designed shirts on... heh.
davinci
Oh, books with pretty covers! I didn't pay attention to them before but I came across many digital paintings on dA that are/were used as book covers so when I do see an actually book with a cover I like, I start thinking about how the artist started the painting and whatnot.

I stare at people's clothing all the time! I get weird looks for that too (of course). :P
alovesopure
Yeah, I love studying a design and figuring out how the artist (probably) did it.

It's funny whenever I see a book with a pretty design, I usually end up reading atleast a little bit of it.
I don't like books with ugly covers. _unsure.gif

XD.gif
brooklyneast05
YES! i always judge books by their cover
i can't help myself
davinci
Though I don't read chick books (I was going to say chick flicks but forgot the proper term so chick books it is), I stare at the covers because many times, they'll have vectors. Simple stuff like this just catches my eye and I stare and stare and stare.
Djlunatix
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Oct 10 2007, 09:19 PM) *
YES! i always judge books by their cover
i can't help myself

Nothing wrong with this what so ever. Simply good marketing strategy by the publisher. If a book looks good, I have the mindset to believe it will be a good book.

For little things my perfectionistic outlook on life is slowed down for the most part, however in my Film/Editing class, the amount of hours spent on a film that was supposed to be only 3 minutes long, with no sound, or color...consumed about 9 hours without stopping, then overall over the next 2 days it took about 8 more. I always finish the project, then watch it again, and say to myself "I could have done better..."

:Sigh:

Perfectionism sucks...especially when the submission isn't perfect.
davinci
Damn. :O How well are your grades for projects and such if you spend that much time on small things?

Not completely unrelated but I have a hard time making minimal graphics. I feel the need to add more things because it looks empty even though empty can be perfectly fine.
alovesopure
QUOTE(davinci @ Oct 10 2007, 10:43 PM) *
Though I don't read chick books (I was going to say chick flicks but forgot the proper term so chick books it is), I stare at the covers because many times, they'll have vectors. Simple stuff like this just catches my eye and I stare and stare and stare.

Aw, books with those are cute. But not usually ones I pick up to read.
I like stuff more like flight
Though after picking it up and opening it, I just set it back down. I was highly disappointed with the inside.

And I love the art in this book:

throb.gif Little endless.

Last time I was in Barnes&noble, this book caught my eye:
http://www.zondervan.com/images/product/me.../0310263468.jpg
I picked it up, and read some of it. Its a really good (christian) book. :]
jammylise
When i see something that so beautiful words cant even come out
i just stare

and when i see something plain i ant to redesign it(even though i know i wont..)

Insurmountable
Oh man, I always go to book stores and look for the pretty covers that interest me. Of course the books end up being the crappiest book ever created but at least they hired a good graphic designer.

Oh man Kara, that art is so cute.

Anyway I don't really worry about billboards as long as their simple and to the point then I like em'. Posters I do think of how I could change it though and t-shirts.
moorepocket
i do look at shirts and just be in awe. That's why i love graphic tees now.
Djlunatix
QUOTE(moorepocket @ Oct 10 2007, 11:32 PM) *
i do look at shirts and just be in awe. That's why i love graphic tees now.

I am not sure the rules on advertising, but I am also a member at a website called Threadless. much like this people submit graphics for t-shirts, and the members if Approved get to vote on them for 2 days, thus deciding if the shirt is actually put put into creation.
I bought this shirt, for 15.00 it's pretty much amazing.

"Life on Gi-Raph paper.
Pretty Original.

and Davinci, my grades so far is a B-minus, the little video can be found at www.youtube.com/lncfilms (we've made several remakes since then)

Also, I agree that minimal graphics are difficult to make, sometimes the avatars only need a shading of light on them, but I always insist adding text,borders,gradients..filters...almost over doing them. But when I'm done, I feel like over doing it, displays my talent better? Silly philosophy I know.
themarkster
Yes, I do stare when I see something that has an appealing design. I tend to express my feeling in words too, but the people around me just think I'm weird.
alovesopure
QUOTE(Djlunatix @ Oct 11 2007, 12:39 AM) *
I am not sure the rules on advertising, but I am also a member at a website called Threadless. much like this people submit graphics for t-shirts, and the members if Approved get to vote on them for 2 days, thus deciding if the shirt is actually put put into creation.

Threadless is awesome, and that shirt is mad cute. throb.gif
I own quite a few threadless shirts. Though, I haven't ordered much of the new stuff (atleast not yet).
davinci
QUOTE(alovesopure @ Oct 10 2007, 11:21 PM) *
Aw, books with those are cute. But not usually ones I pick up to read.
I like stuff more like flight
Man, I love looking at covers for fantasy novels!

QUOTE(Djlunatix @ Oct 11 2007, 12:39 AM) *

"Life on Gi-Raph paper.
Pretty Original.

and Davinci, my grades so far is a B-minus, the little video can be found at www.youtube.com/lncfilms (we've made several remakes since then)

Also, I agree that minimal graphics are difficult to make, sometimes the avatars only need a shading of light on them, but I always insist adding text,borders,gradients..filters...almost over doing them. But when I'm done, I feel like over doing it, displays my talent better? Silly philosophy I know.
Aww. Life on Gi-Raph paper. That's so cute!

And I'm Mona. =) And that's not bad.

Yeah, I used to overdo my avatars. Now, I usually just edit levels, curves, colors, add gradients/textures/text and that's pretty much it. They look prettier now, imo.

True. If you can do a great job with using as little things as possible, that's talent.

QUOTE(themarkster @ Oct 11 2007, 12:46 AM) *
Yes, I do stare when I see something that has an appealing design. I tend to express my feeling in words too, but the people around me just think I'm weird.
Words are overrated!
Djlunatix
QUOTE(davinci @ Oct 11 2007, 05:41 PM) *
And I'm Mona. =) And that's not bad.

Ahh Mona as in Mona Lisa, as in Leonardo Davinci, I must say thats clever. :)

Its nice to meet you, I'm Matt...nothing to special about that, sorry!
alovesopure
^ Her username used to be Mona Lisa.

So this isn't complete spam. This is one of my favorite shirts (I got it for my birthday)
http://downtownrivals.com/store/EphraimClothing/Mens/all/438
It's so simple, but I love it. throb.gif
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(alovesopure @ Oct 11 2007, 09:33 PM) *

So this isn't complete spam. This is one of my favorite shirts (I got it for my birthday)

THATS THE UGLIEST THING IVE SEEN IN MY WHOLE LIFE OF BEING ALIVE!!!!!

just kidding, i like it, i like the webpage design too now that i think about it
Djlunatix
QUOTE(alovesopure @ Oct 11 2007, 09:33 PM) *

Nice shirt, I like artistic graphic shirts, I used to have a slew of shirts that had catchy phrases but then I graduated high school, and realized those were never cool...

davinci
QUOTE(Djlunatix @ Oct 11 2007, 10:22 PM) *
Ahh Mona as in Mona Lisa, as in Leonardo Davinci, I must say thats clever. :)

Its nice to meet you, I'm Matt...nothing to special about that, sorry!
Hey, Matt! Actually, Mona Lisa is my name. ;P

QUOTE(alovesopure @ Oct 11 2007, 10:33 PM) *

Mens?! But the shirt itself is nice.

QUOTE(Djlunatix @ Oct 11 2007, 10:45 PM) *
Nice shirt, I like artistic graphic shirts, I used to have a slew of shirts that had catchy phrases but then I graduated high school, and realized those were never cool...
Aw, what do you mean? I graduated and I still think artistic shirts are cool. Well, the ones on threadless are really good.
Insurmountable
^Its a girly shirt too:
http://downtownrivals.com/store/ephraimclo.../Womens/all/434

It just has a v neck.

oOoOo
I like this one _smile.gif
http://downtownrivals.com/store/ephraimclo.../Womens/all/713
Djlunatix
QUOTE(davinci @ Oct 11 2007, 10:03 PM) *

Aw, what do you mean? I graduated and I still think artistic shirts are cool. Well, the ones on threadless are really good.

lol! I mean Shirts with Catchy Phrases, Those were never cool! Things like "Your mom is on my myspace" or "I see your lips moving, but all I hear are blah blah blah"..or "The Wheel is still spinning but the hamsters dead" those were never that cool..

I love Graphics Shirts, I am currently in the process of creating my own shirt, I have the graphic, basically because its so huge I have to sew the shirt myself, so thats what I'm doing. Here is the design,

Note: The clothing line 11Even is something I came up with and its spelling out numbers but for the first letters putting the actual number, for example:

1ne
6ix
11even
20enty.

Ahh crazy ramblings, and btw Mona...THAT IS SO COOL your name is Mona Lisa.
Insurmountable
^Oh i like that..
davinci
http://downtownrivals.com/store/ephraimclo.../Womens/all/722
^I really like this one. But I've noticed that the shirts are generally pretty thin.

QUOTE(Djlunatix @ Oct 11 2007, 11:12 PM) *
lol! I mean Shirts with Catchy Phrases, Those were never cool! Things like "Your mom is on my myspace" or "I see your lips moving, but all I hear are blah blah blah"..or "The Wheel is still spinning but the hamsters dead" those were never that cool..

I love Graphics Shirts, I am currently in the process of creating my own shirt, I have the graphic, basically because its so huge I have to sew the shirt myself, so thats what I'm doing. Here is the design,

Note: The clothing line 11Even is something I came up with and its spelling out numbers but for the first letters putting the actual number, for example:

1ne
6ix
11even
20enty.

Yea, you realize after a while that they're pretty dumb.

And that looks really cool. You can sew? I'm ashamed. I don't even know how to sew on a button.

Yup, yup, very cool indeed. :D
Insurmountable
Why would that be a problem if they came thin? I really like that one Mona, I like her eye.
davinci
QUOTE(Insurmountable @ Oct 11 2007, 11:31 PM) *
Why would that be a problem if they came thin? I really like that one Mona, I like her eye.
You'd have to wear something else underneath and I hate that if the shirt is cut normally.

Yea, I really like the design. Plus, it's so me.
alovesopure
QUOTE(davinci @ Oct 11 2007, 11:03 PM) *

Yes. I didn't like the v-neck. haha
Insurmountable
Ah I get what you mean. I hate how thin shirts show your bra >_> and I hate wearing a ton of layers. Pain in the ass.

But yea Mona, that design really is you.
Smarmosaur
i see tons of stuff that i want to recreate, then forget...
but i have this thing...and some people are going to mention therapy...but. it feels like pictures are staring back at me. XD no, seriously. i can't even look at a picture of a person for like 2 seconds without shuddering. paranoid much?
davinci
QUOTE(Insurmountable @ Oct 12 2007, 12:05 AM) *
But yea Mona, that design really is you.
How so? I mean, I think so but what makes you think that?

QUOTE(MorbidAngel @ Oct 12 2007, 10:04 PM) *
but i have this thing...and some people are going to mention therapy...but. it feels like pictures are staring back at me. XD no, seriously. i can't even look at a picture of a person for like 2 seconds without shuddering. paranoid much?
Really? First time hearing this. I only feel this way if the person has a really mean look on his/her face and looks as though he's/she's going to jump out of the picture and get me. :P
alovesopure
QUOTE(MorbidAngel @ Oct 12 2007, 10:04 PM) *

I only feel that way when the eyes of the picture follow you, how they are positioned just right so no matter where you go, its still staring.
Thats what gets to me. heh.
Smarmosaur
ewwwww; don't mention the creepy eye pictures. >_<
i'm paranoid enough; i swear to gawd i CRIED the first time i saw one of those moving eye things.
Blaqheartedstar
QUOTE(davinci @ Oct 10 2007, 10:06 PM) *
or if you're developing one, how often do you get the urge to fix something that irks you so much? Posters, billboards, typography, a layout, a graphic, colors that contrast or clash too much, bad coding, etc.?

Also, do you just stare at something because it appeals to you design-wise? I'll stare at a shirt with an amazing pattern/design and see if I can remember and recreate it in my own way digitally. Of course, I forget and I can't recreate it but I'll just stare and get weird looks.

i get those often , of i stare at something and can figure out how it was done, pretty damn cool
but the urge to fix graphics happens ALOT... and when your mom works at Barnes & Noble and your filled with sometimes ugly book covers... it bothers =)
Insurmountable
QUOTE(alovesopure @ Oct 10 2007, 10:21 PM) *
Last time I was in Barnes&noble, this book caught my eye:
http://www.zondervan.com/images/product/me.../0310263468.jpg
I picked it up, and read some of it. Its a really good (christian) book. :]

Oh Man Kara, I actually purchased this book and I loved it. It was a great book. You should read all of it _smile.gif
xblast196
yeah whenever i see a cool design, i find myself going through the steps on how they possibly made it on photoshop.

like i sometimes even go as far as carrying a tablet, and writing down possible steps in order to do so.

:)

that's where i get lots of my layout ideas.
1angel3
I get the urge a lot. The art is the first thing I notice. I look at magazines ads and pay more attention at the design and organization. I see if the ad have good elements/principal of design. rather it's balance, good space and rhythm.
letsgoxdisco
QUOTE(Djlunatix @ Oct 11 2007, 09:12 PM) *

1ne
6ix
11even
20enty.

your shirt design is so amazing!

i notice stuff that looks amazing all the time, and i do tend to stare it to death. haha. and i love finding something in a place i wouldn't expect to.
and of course, i like trying my hand at it in photoshop.
markmejia
Mona, I do exactly that. If I see a shirt that looks intense, I try to imagine how I could imitate it digitally. XD.gif
arcanum
QUOTE(Insurmountable @ Nov 5 2007, 01:09 PM) *
Oh Man Kara, I actually purchased this book and I loved it. It was a great book. You should read all of it _smile.gif

Really? *sigh* I want to get it! I read the first chapter. But I have yet to buy it. >.<
I'll either have to ask for it for Christmas, or buy it after I get all my Christmas shopping done.
I have his other book (Velvet Elvis), but I haven't finished it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.