Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what do you call a "carbonated beverage"?
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Food
marzipan
soda?
pop?
coke?
soft drink?

My friends and I had an argument about this at school. laugh.gif
I call it soda.
I don't understand why some people call it Coke, because I always saw Coke as meaning just "coco-cola."
chibichi15
I call it soda too. laugh.gif that must've been an interesting argument!
Mercy
Soda.
DominicanaMel
I call it soda...But when I went to Washington state, alot of people called it "Pop"....I guess its a west coast thing. idk
Detective
Pop Soda.
MyMichelle
Soda... Except carbonated water. I forgot what that's called.
angelrevelation
soft drink with my parents (i don't know why), but usually pop. sometimes I say soda so there's no confusion. Whenever I say pop people say soda to clarify huh.gif
marzipan
QUOTE(brownsugar @ Jul 2 2007, 05:13 PM) *
Soda. victory.gif

Why would you call it a coke? ermm.gif

shrug.gif

My friend was saying "Well, all soda is Coke."
mellow.gif Which doesn't make any sense.
stephinika
Pop. Thats what I hear around here for the most part anyways.
synthase
wait..i thought there was already a topic on this?
well, i call it soda
but i might change to POP
"hey kid, you want some sodapop?"
michellerrific
Soda.
Coke = coca cola. Pop = ...uh 90's? Soft Drink = a fast food restaurant's name for the stuff.
annalucky
I call it soda. But I remember when my friend was texas was here and she calls it pop.
tokyo-rose
I've always called it soda.
steve330
QUOTE(For Love. @ Jul 4 2007, 12:44 AM) *
I call it soda. But I remember when my friend was texas was here and she calls it pop.

That ain't a texas thing :) We all call it coke down here. Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Lemonade, Liption Iced Tea, it's all a coke.
Select
Soda, well no actually Pop. i only say soda when i want to sound smart.
sprezzatura
SODA.

We can't call it coke because not all carbonated beverages are coke (as in Coca Cola).
laxumaster8
i call it 'pop' all the time

haha jk...if i heard someone say that, i would have no idea what they were talking about
Rachel
QUOTE(brownsugar @ Jul 4 2007, 08:45 AM) *
I heard "pop" was a north thing.

Midwest I believe. I use soda and pop interchangeably. My nuclear and extended family is from Chicago so they all say pop.
aznxRawr
Soda! Everyone I know calls it soda too thumbsup.gif
JustAnotherTeenageLoser
Soda for me :] But a lot of people around here call it Coke too...which I really don't get, especially since many aren't even Coca-cola products. shrug.gif It confuses me. Nobody here says pop though
Relentless
Soda for me. It's good. ROOT BEER FTW!
Lolitakitty
Pop = Midwest thing. My relatives in Illinois all call it that laugh.gif
Coke = Southern thing, for the most part. I called it that when I lived in Texas.
Soda = I have no clue. Everywhere else? I call it that now, and I live in California.
jeSs1cA
SODA!
JACKIElove
"Pop" & like everyone has said, it's a midwest thing and it is, since i live in the midwest. I've tried to say "soda" a few times and it just doesn't sound right...haha.
voguelove
i call it a soda.

saying pop sounds so..old school. haha.
moninja
pop and soda.
if someone asks me if i want coke, i say no. usually because i think they're talking about coca cola, which i hate.
I think its cool how some people say sodapop. I usually saw soda; but I might just change it now.
hollywoodpink
sodaaa. it really bugs me when people call it pop. i have no idea why. ermm.gif
SakuraMaxX
I'm from the south. Soda for me.
SarahxJoy
Sodaaaaa.
jouralto
Another Californian with soda on the brain here.
shotgunFUNERAL
QUOTE(steve330 @ Jul 4 2007, 10:40 AM) *
That ain't a texas thing :) We all call it coke down here. Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Lemonade, Liption Iced Tea, it's all a coke.
lol someone from texas told me about that.

QUOTE(JACKIElove @ Jul 10 2007, 08:20 PM) *
"Pop" & like everyone has said, it's a midwest thing and it is, since i live in the midwest. I've tried to say "soda" a few times and it just doesn't sound right...haha.
it is a midwest thing, as i, too, live here.
WHOngos144
i call it soda
xhidethedetails
My moms friend from North Carolina calls it Pop.
But we call it soda.
freeridefight
QUOTE(?Melina? @ Jul 2 2007, 06:14 PM) *
I call it soda...But when I went to Washington state, alot of people called it "Pop"....I guess its a west coast thing. idk

Im on the east coast and everyone calls it "pop". Wtf, why would you call it coke? If you say I want a coke, you want a coke, not just a pop.

Also, if people say soda around here, I think people are more likely to ask if you want a creme soda or something along that route.
Rachel
QUOTE(Moderator @ Jul 12 2007, 02:56 PM) *
I think its cool how some people say sodapop. I usually saw soda; but I might just change it now.

I throb.gif calling it sodapop. It's fun.
DarkImpressions
I call it soda!
EmoEyelinerx
I call it pop.
popoberry
something that makes your mouth sting .
Crash2
QUOTE(steve330 @ Jul 4 2007, 09:40 AM) *

I guess not in Far West TX. It's usually called soda here.

When I lived in Missouri, I remember hearing a lot of people calling it coke.
Insurmountable
Soda/soft drink.
yupimchuck
its all just coke to me
monxcheri
soda

it`d be weird for me to call it anything else.
pandamonium
i know people from boston say pop. i guess its just where you live. i usually say soda but not all the time.
davinci
When living in the US, it was always soda. After moving to Canada, it was really funny hearing soda being referred to as pop. I remember a teacher had warned students against drinking pop in class and I giggled. I got funny looks and was embarrassed but it was still funny.
CaitlinJ
Well, in Scotland a lot of people call it ginger for some reason. thumbsup.gif
HakunaMatata
I think the word "pop" is suuuper adorable. Like, just really cutesy. All I've ever heard is the word "soda", but I think I'm going to start conciously saying the word "pop" instead 'cause it's that darn cute.
Peanups
Well from what i understand,

people in the Western side of the United states call "soda-pop" SODA

people from the Mid-West call "soda-pop" POP

I think soft drink isn't as "popular" (lack of better word) as soda or pop, but is used in both areas of the United States, but definitely not as much.

I don't know about Coke. Why would you call "soda-pop" in general Coke, when there is a "soda-pop" brand Coca-cola. I think it is just a recipe for a mix up. mellow.gif
superstitious
I've always said "soda." I do know some people that have called all sodas "coke" though. I never quite understood it.
blacknailpolish
My mom's entire family is from the South, and they all call it coke. It's really weird, they'll be like "I'll have a coke." "What kind do you want?" "Dr. Pepper" pinch.gif Never made much sense to me. Then of course my dad's side is all from the north, and they all call it pop. I just call it soda =P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.