Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: layout/scripts/graphic comments
Forums > News and Announcements > Feedback > Feedback Resolved Topics
Blaqheartedstar
I use to love that layout/scripts/graphic comments were in forums and counted towards our post count, but although CB4 is pretty awesome i think giving people the option to delete comments on their work prevents the users from ratting out jockers, other forms of stealing, and posting suggestions, without it getting deleted because the person can't take a bit of criticism.
it was awesome before that the comments section was mini forum pages just for certain submission and made comments clean with the ability to quote and reply to certain comments with out comfusion.

for example
this layout: http://www.createblog.com/layouts/code.php?id=18345
i posted a comment saying that she should of picked a better picture that there had to be better pictures out there of the person she was making a layout about instead of the blurry one shes using, and she deletes the comment
pretty sure she didn't like what i had to say and can't take criticism...

i think that little trash button takes away from viewers who plan to use the graphic/script/layout, because all the "bad things" written about it is deleted. Yes i see its benefits and it prevents spammers from posting links but it also has its down sides.

i guess what i'm saying that we should have the old forums comments section like we did before.
Detective
I totally agree on this.
HelloSunshine
I agree,and I see where you're coming from. I mean, the creator of the layout might feel better without having a comment there that critiqued the layout, but in the long run it just helps.
Blaqheartedstar
then theres no point in submitting a layout
u can't get better if no one tells you what u did wrong... and removing the comment only hurts the layout or graphic

[offtopic]awesome banner and icon Elvis rocks![/offtopic]
karmakiller
Yeah, I agree. I understand that there are some rude comments left, and there might even be spam. I guess this is just a feature that I've overlooked a bit (probably because I don't really pay attention to everyones comments on peoples submissions). I think that if someone does leave a rude a comment someone can report it to a moderator and the mod could always delete it. But, hey, since she was the one who deleted it at least she read it. Just because everyone can see it doesn't mean they'll take it into consideration shrug.gif
falsetigerlimbs
Well on one of my layouts, someone posted a rude comment that was like, "Stop ignoring your comments, it's your responsibility to help people!" and that really made me mad, because I help lots of people, but I just do it via PMs. I PM everyone who comments my layouts.

I resolved it with her (also via PM), and she realized that I'm not rude like that, but I wanted to delete her comments so other people don't get the wrong idea about me and are afraid to ask for help. =/

I think the main reason for not having the deletion of comments would be the jocker issue, but other than that, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to delete them. Like karmakiller said, even though she deleted your comment, she obviously saw it, and even if she left it there, if she didn't like it she wouldn't have taken your advice anyway. And I doubt anyone takes into consideration the comments on a layout before they use it. If they like it, they'll use it, regardless of what other people say about it.
alovesopure
If you leave a jocker alert comment, and they delete it. Then just PM a design staff to remove the layout. Simple as that..

Other than that, I do miss it being on the forums. Not because of post count, but because I'm just not used to it.
It's just.. weird to me. idk. shrug.gif
digitalfragrance
I kind of like it the way it is... I'm getting more comments now that the comments are on the layout preview page. Also, the updates that I get in "My Account" telling me that I have new comments makes it easier for me to help non-HTML literate users use my layouts.

People used to just copy/paste and then give up when they copied something wrong or messed up the coding.... they never even bothered to leave a comment, and if they did, I wouldn't have konwn about it. I think this way makes SO much more sense. I can keep track of my layout's comments SO much easier.

If there was a way to have all of this + the forums, I think it would be cool... but I also think it would be disorganized.
flaymzofice
Purely as a viewer and not a designer, I don't necessarily agree with Amanda's reasons for going back to the old forum style of layout submissions, but I do prefer that version. Obviously this new way of doing it has its benefits as falsetigerlimbs and Rachel have stated, but again, for someone who isn't a designer, I did like the old way better.

And also, sorry in advance if I'm just being ignorant, but I still haven't figured out if there's actually a Showcase section anymore? If there is, I can't find it since I'm not sure where to look.
micron
hi,

how about if we only let the staff members can edit the submission comments. comments will still be outside of the forums.
falsetigerlimbs
Nooo sad.gif

Why don't you make a poll? Or is it just up to the staff to decide?
alovesopure
^ What is the "Nooo" part to? Only staff editing, or it staying outside the forum?

I think letting the staff edit, if nothing else, would work out pretty good.
falsetigerlimbs
QUOTE(alovesopure @ Jun 18 2007, 10:57 PM) *
^ What is the "Nooo" part to? Only staff editing, or it staying outside the forum?

I think letting the staff edit, if nothing else, would work out pretty good.

My "no" was to only letting the staff edit. Sorry, I got caught up in my emotions lol
alovesopure
Oh okay. thumbsup.gif Well, you know. If he does make it that way, you could always PM a staff member to delete/edit something for you.
1angel3
Yea i like the other way too. This way is confusing and annoying. The other way allowed you to quote and it was bigger making it easier to read, instead of some small space, it was much more organize when the comments was separate.
SinfullySweet
QUOTE(1angel3 @ Jun 20 2007, 12:44 PM) *
Yea i like the other way too. This way is confusing and annoying. The other way allowed you to quote and it was bigger making it easier to read, instead of some small space, it was much more organize when the comments was separate.

I do kinda agree. The limited space for the comments cuts off much of what people say mellow.gif
freeflow
Even if the space is little you can still get comments on your actual profile page. I've gotten them about my layout I submitted there was well. So its really up to the person thats commenting. The old way was nice , but you guys just need to get used to the new and it'll be fine. :)
1angel3
Well thanks for reading our suggestions, I guess we do have to get use to new, new things isn't bad, I don't think they going to change it, can't please everybody.
freeflow
Think on the bright side though, the new layout section has brought a lot more people to the site. How do I know? There have been A LOT more layouts in the queue lately. Yes part of that goes to summer break but a lot of these people are new commers. cB4 has brought alot and it also brought more views to your layouts as well since more have been comming and looking at the site.

Another thing is , I feel that having the comments on the main page allow more people to comment them and see your layouts and take them into consideration. Prior to cb4 a lot of people didn't even know their layouts recieved comments because they were hidden in the forums and a lot of people didn't comment them. You may not get many comments but trust me I think the new look has brought more to Createblog etc.

Personally, I know its hard for you guys to get used to it, because I'm still getting used to a few things myself. But its for the better. So think positive! biggrin.gif

Do I sound like a brochure? pinch.gif
SinfullySweet
QUOTE(freeflow @ Jun 21 2007, 11:48 AM) *
Think on the bright side though, the new layout section has brought a lot more people to the site. How do I know? There have been A LOT more layouts in the queue lately. Yes part of that goes to summer break but a lot of these people are new commers. cB4 has brought alot and it also brought more views to your layouts as well since more have been comming and looking at the site.

Another thing is , I feel that having the comments on the main page allow more people to comment them and see your layouts and take them into consideration. Prior to cb4 a lot of people didn't even know their layouts recieved comments because they were hidden in the forums and a lot of people didn't comment them. You may not get many comments but trust me I think the new look has brought more to Createblog etc.

Personally, I know its hard for you guys to get used to it, because I'm still getting used to a few things myself. But its for the better. So think positive! biggrin.gif
Do I sound like a brochure? pinch.gif

haha, cB 4 is great laugh.gif
micron
hi guys once im done with this damn tracker thats taking much longer than i anticipated, ill see if i can expand the space for the comments. if anything, im going to use col3 and col4 (the same as your profile pages) rather than the current col1 and col2 and have the comments underneath the code on the main modules. this way there will be space for more comments + avatar.

oh and bbcode will be enabled soon for commenting. after this @#$@#$%@#$@%@$ tracker, which i might add is very darn powerful and might just bring an end to anonymous surfing.

im not too sure if this is a good thing. hmmmmmm....
micron
ah i dont know. i personally have a lot of qualms about it. if enough people end up using it, it really will bring an end to anonymous surfing. people will be able to identify ips to multiple websites, and even comment on the specified ip about that person's browsing behaivior. ofcourse, ideally this will be used for only righteous purposes, ie weeding out the pedos out of the internet, but i can see getting a lot of heat for this in the future.

its a major privacy violation really, if you take into account the current notion that browsing should be done anonymously. but then again, if browsing wasnt anonymous, online related crimes would defintely decline. too many weirdos out there looking for 13 year olds. maybe this will help bring about an acceptance that online surfing shouldnt be anonymous for that very reason.

ah, from my standpoint, i think this tool will bring in a lot more users to createblog. so its strictly capitalism. where theres demand, therell always be supply. ie, since theres a tremendous demand for trackers, why not make the very best one (since i can)? oh well, lets see what happens.
1angel3
Great idea, it don't bother me
SinfullySweet
This is making me angry. And I absolutely agree. So many people have already deleted some of my comments becuase they werent "positive" If thats the case, how the hell are you going to get better if you cant take criticizm.
micron
http://www.createblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=178441

please place your votes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.