Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You were born when???
Forums > Resource Center > Designers' Café
FoxLucky
blink.gif I've been reading a lot about the moderators and I'm overly amazed...
I was thinking I was talking to people my age (21) or older... With web design classes and degrees... But no.
Lo and behold, the average age is like 17?!?
It's amazing how young & talented & mature most of the people here are!!
Ington
Psst, *Designers' Café*.
WHIMSICAL 0NE
There's lots of talented people here. You'd be amazed if you browsed the web and seen some of the websites that 12 year olds can put together.
Bonobo
Im only 14 laugh.gif but my work isn't amazing
Intercourse.
^Yea but your work is cute wink.gif

Yea, I have to admit sometimes I'm just truly amazed about how much talent everyone on this site has and for how young we all are. Its great _smile.gif
michellerrific
Well, it does seem that kids are getting smarter these days. I discovered an interest in html around 2 or 3 years ago? I was like 11 or 12. But I'm always improving.
clarity
I learned HTML when I was 8 or 9, and i taught myself. blink.gif Looking back at it, that is pretty young.
iDecay
Lol. I'm 13. I started when I was like.. 11. My work isn't amazing, but it's pretty decent, I guess. I guess we just all have big imaginations and much creativity. XD.gif The maturity level comes as a bonus for being on here for quite a while sometimes, too.

The average for someone on here is actually around 13-16. wink.gif
Blaqheartedstar
I'm like 17 ... but ricky being at 14-15 can make WAY better stuff then me *cries*
But yeah alot of the people here being as young as they are make amazing layouts/graphics

QUOTE(a beautiful nothing @ Mar 18 2007, 10:06 PM) *
I learned HTML when I was 8 or 9, and i taught myself. blink.gif Looking back at it, that is pretty young.
at that age i was learning about computers... lol but yeah thats pretty young... i didn't learn about html till 6th grade...

edit: ^^ but waited around 3 years before going into html (started to relearn it when i first got myspace)
mona lisa
(If this is just about designers, it's fine in this forum.)

CB does have it's own little group of wonderful designers. I'm actually more jealous of them than I am of artists on deviantART since our designers are younger, for the most part. I think it's actually become a trend to get into designing. More and more people are (were?) getting into blogging and designing and it's so hard to keep up with things. Some people are just so gosh darned creative that you wish you could steal their brains!
FoxLucky
It's fascinating... how you guys are so young, obviously still in school and you make time to do the neatest pictures I have ever seen... You are all obviously talented, and it does make you wanna *steal the brains*

And everyone always seems to think that generations are getting worse and worse, I don't think that's the case at all!! Some of the people here carry on better conversations then I would have with my parents!!
I feel so old, LOL cry.gif Is there anyone my age on here... or am I just the only old fart?!?
Duchess of Dork
*points to self* 31 here. :)

I started late, wayyy late. ;(

But yes, the talent here is amazing, especially for the average age being so young.
AimeeLynn
I'm 16 and I'm not as good compared to all you guys. I started reading Html when I was 12. [not that long ago] You guys are lucky to have degrees in Webdesign and stuff. You guys all know the tricks. happy.gif
Kathleen
Yeah, I am so jealous of all these people that are way younger than me.. that are crazy good at designing. sad.gif It makes me feel slow.
mzkandi
I'm 22! I go to school for Graphic Design/Interactive Media. Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to talk. _smile.gif
much2muse
I'm 16 and dang, yes, i'm amazed at the talent young cb'ers have. ohmy.gif And the older ones, too. I probably started learning extremely basic html only like 2 years ago. It hasn't expanded that much since.
anime-essence
I'm currently 14. I started to get into designing when I was around late 11, early 12. I haven't taken any classes, but I plan to next year, my sophomore year.
demolished
I learned html, when i started Xanga when i was 11-12 years old.
StanleyThePanda
I'm uh... 17. Almost 18. But I don't think I'm very talent, I actually am highly jealous of a lot of people here. laugh.gif
But uhm yeah, I've been coding & doing graphic design for quite a few years (maybe like 5-6), I feel slow (as Kathleen said) when I see younger people with so much talent.
Mulder
i'm 18...
when did I start designing?? It's been a while.. cuz i started off with xanga, and got good enough at that to be nominated for xanga staff...
then had time to forget everything about xanga....
then myspace...
then livejournal!
so..thats like 3 years?
[2]Nekked
im 20 and i started when i was 13.
abercrombiekid
I'm 20 as well.

I started in 2000 using angelfire and homestead to make html pages.. wow. i feel old.
.JAC
I know what you mean as well.

BUT age can be a BIG problem when you're trying to score a client.

I remember last January when I was still in negotiation with Reebok Hockey, that they were really REALLY worried about my age (I was 18). Clients prefer to hire someone with experience and age. They hire designers who are 24, 25, etc.

In the end I am still doing their Fall 2007 campaign and getting paid to do so (which is great =D), but hell, the negotiation process and the talk about my age was loooooong. I wish I was older.
Detective
Im 15 and started at 13.
IVIike
i'm 15 as well _smile.gif
synthase
I discovered html & graphic design in 5th grade mellow.gif
and after so many years, my layouts arent even that great ermm.gif
Jeng
I know 11/12 year olds who own websites and who are amazing coders/designers, etc. pretty awesome and talented
My Cinderella.
Tell me about it. I see designers that are like 10 now, I believe. It's madness!
Kathleen
QUOTE(hixfive @ Mar 26 2007, 5:39 PM) *
I discovered html & graphic design in 5th grade mellow.gif
and after so many years, my layouts arent even that great ermm.gif

Bah that's exactly how I feel! How old are you now?
synthase
QUOTE(Kathleen @ Mar 27 2007, 1:47 PM) *
Bah that's exactly how I feel! How old are you now?

well its not technically 'so many years' but im 14 _dry.gif
RxCore
i'm 15 right now.

I started HTML and did websites when I was 9, but didn't make my own layouts until I was like 11. i feel like i was more creative when i was just starting out...i still haven't found my style. and i don't feel like i've gotten much better.
smrkangl
eek.gif
People start when they're 9? Ah wooow!

Well i'm 16 now (started at about 13) and i'm still...weak. I really want to try out coding and actually making a website but I have no idea where to start. Sheesh! xD
digital.fragrance
My friend introduced me to Xanga when I was in 6th grade (11). I always changed the color schemes, and we had a sort of "competition" of outdoing the other.

I, of course, went through the sparkly, blinky BUSY phase and moved to color schemes with bad quality images. I started manipulating made layouts and taught myself the ins and outs of the Xanga CSS. I truly started making color-coordinated layouts with some taste in 9th grade. I was held back a bunch though - I hadn't found an image hoster, so I couldn't graphics design for myself.

Then I discovered teh wonderful world of imageshack. From there, it's history... and now I'm 18 and happily designing still.
Relentless
I'm 16 turning 17 on November. xP

It's kind of weird how I started.... I was at the age of 10 when I started to learn html and such by my self. How? Neopets. lol. When I noticed a lot of people using those fancy userlookups, it made me think I should try it. I did it during my spare time and there was a tutorial and I gave it a shot. I did it and it worked great. Than, I tried to expand my knowledge on CSS/HTML and such by making Guild Layouts for Neopets. Ever since than, I started to learn more & more about graphic design/coding. Progressed to Website, Xanga, Livejournal, and now Myspace. So I've been doing this for awhile and I still try to improve. I still feel slow compare to all the other designers on here because my design isn't that great as others.

I was thinking of having those webdesign/graphic design & such classes for next year but not totally sure. (x
dilariousxb
I'm 15 :P

I first started web designing back in 7th grade (12yrs old) and advanced from there XD
toxic-candy
QUOTE(Jeng @ Mar 26 2007, 6:27 PM) *
I know 11/12 year olds who own websites and who are amazing coders/designers, etc. pretty awesome and talented

Yeah man! A whole generation like that! cool.gif

I'm 18.
Richt0wnFin3st
im 14 n i first start on a forum with like way old dudes freestylers all of that and i learned form them and they helped me out now i gotten so good i kan own half of them..i think i started at hmm 12 becuz that wen i learned how to crack programs and crap
infinitepassionx
I think it's amazing how HTML can interest anyone of all ages and can somehow unite us all together talking about one thing and still have a fun time about it :) Yeah, I first got interested in HTML when I was introduced to Xanga, then I moved onto MySpace, and I'm actually trying to teach myself how to create more complex layouts. I am fifteen.
phoenixpyre
WHAT DOES THIS TOPIC HAVE TO DO WITH DESIGNING

<<cranky 89 year old
flaymzofice
I am constantly blown away by various designs here on cB and then blown away some more (there's not much left of me by the end of one viewing session) when I find out how old/young the designer is. I think the great thing about it is their fresh perspective and take on old styles and looks; they just see things completely different from us 'old' designers.

It's a tricky balance: youth vs. experience and it's a balance a lot of sectors have to try and negotiate. It's cool to have such a mix here though because the learning process is reciprocal; the older designs can offer tips learned from experience and the younger ones offer their different, quirky designs which inspire everyone.

I'm 21 this year and wouldn't even begin to claim my layouts were good (hah, I think I've submitted like, two to the Myspace showcase) but I like to think having looked at and been interested in graphic design for the last, five or six years, I am better at spotting what works and what doesn't (though unfortunately, that doesn't mean I'm any good at replicating the effect)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.