Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Being around people who smoke...
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
angelrevelation
This is a stupid question but...

You know how with people who smoke a lot, you can smell it? Is the smell given off just a smell, or is it like smoke residue?
Because my PE partner smokes, and when I'm close to her I have the urge to sneeze or cough, and it's kind of hard to breathe ermm.gif But I guess that could just be because it's a strong smell?
HakunaMatata
I really have no idea exactly what caues the smell, but it's perfectly normal to want to cough when you smell cigarette smoke. My father smoked a lot when I was little, so in a way I was almost used to the smell. In recent years, though, I can finally really smell it, and it smells bad.
femmefatale4160
Cigarettes contain over 2,000 chemicals. The smell that smokers have is from the chemicals contained in the smoke that got into their clothes, skin and hair.
breakingdawn
This girl who's locker is next to mine smoke like a pack a day and then doesn't wash her clothes and wears them over and over and it smells like stale smoke. sick.gif

I can't even BREATHE near her.
voguelove
i think it's the smoke residue.

my dad smokes so my clothes can smell like it sometimes. i think it's because the smoke from the cigarette seeps into clothing, rugs, hair, yada, yada.
angelrevelation
So is it... harmful to breathe in? I mean if it's strong, it could be a bit like second-hand smoke?
WHIMSICAL 0NE
I guess it depends on how long you're by them. Smoke fumes have chemicals in them too. I think they call that ETS... but that might be something else pinch.gif Second hand smoke is very dangerous. I'm really lucky that no one in my family smokes because I have Asthma. Whenever I go over to my friends house whose parents smoke (but not in the house anymore) my lungs burn really bad. Then my mom has to pound on my back to break up the phlegm so I don't have an Asthma attack. Fun fun.
me1issaaaa
Well, that's pretty much what second-hand smoke is. The fumes that come from clothes and hair and whatever aren't as strong, so it's nothing too terrible to worry about, but it most certainly doesn't help your health any.
kimmytree
Ewww. I hate the smell of smoke. Even just the faintest scent of it on someones clothes literally makes me choke and gag. Yeah, I'm really sensitive to smoke. mellow.gif

I'm guessing it could be like second hand smoke, because someone having an the odor of it on their clothes or wherever would still probably have the nicotine in it, or whatever the chemical is that causes lung cancer. Ehh idk. pinch.gif
Ington
The smell of cigarette smoke makes me want to throw up. Its due to a past traumatic event, in which someone was smoking a cigarette, and I was throwing up ridiculous amounts. Since then, I haven't been able to stand them.
synthase
When i was in China, tons of people smoked and it smelled really really badly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.