Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There's no retirement for an artist, it's your way of living so there's no end to it.
Forums > Resource Center > Designers' Café
Azarel
Do you see (realistically) yourself going anywhere in the future with whatever digital medium you work with? What I'm meaning to ask is, is it just a hobby or do you expect to make bank off of it? If you think you can make a living off of it, what makes you think you're capable of doing so, when there are so many other capable designers and such out there? Obviously, if you're already living the dream (so to speak), I don't expect you to answer these, haha (directed to some of our very own members; props).

Me, I'm definitely not creative or knowledgeable enough in any digital field to make a living off of it. I've tried a little of everything, and it all interests me--I'm just not exceptionally good at any one field (or any field, for that matter).
Kathleen
I think I'm okay, but I'd be lying if I said I never thought about going to school to pursue a career in graphic/multimedia design. I toyed with the idea for a bit; there was never any doubt in my mind as to whether or not I would easily get a job in the field, but I realized that my true passion is writing, not art. I'm hoping to improve, though, considering the fact that creating websites for businesses and whatnot.. easy money. Hehe.

This is an interesting topic, though, considering the fact that there are so many awesome designers on here.. I'm interested in what their responses are.
Duchess of Dork
I started much later than most of the artits here.

At this point, there's just no way I could start a career in digital arts, no matter how badly I wanted to.

I can only hope that certain job duties I may have will include digital art types of tasks. I was able to update and design certain pages from one of my positions at the University. I also helped design one of their icons for the program. That was great, great fun.
Blaqheartedstar
at one point i wanted to make a living off of photography... but when i thought about it... there is soo much more to graphic design and webdesign...
i would love to make a living off of what i do... but i need to learn way more before i do anything with my life
Kontroll
Considering there are so many designers out there, I think that going to school would make you more credible and easier to hire. There are alot of businesses that are popping up that need a good designer to make them a site, graphics, logos, you name it. But also, considering there are a lot of people who do it, then competition is tough.

I just do it for fun. I suck at it, so I really don't see a future in it for myself. Definitely not. It's not my path, and probably never will be. If it is, cool, but I don't see it happening.
WHIMSICAL 0NE
I'm not very good at it. I used to think I was good, but looking back there's a few things that I've made that I actually like. One thing that I kind of regret is not taking a class in highschool, and it's too late for me to do that. I've only taken one semester of a computer class, but I would've liked to take a computer/design class. Maybe I'll find a way to take one sometime _unsure.gif. I think a big reason of why I suck is because I'm kinda self taught. I picked up on everything through reading tutorials and messing around with codes.
flaymzofice
^ Being unconventional can sometimes work out better for you. When you're taught, you are confined to the structure of their programme. There's not much room for exploring different ways of doing things. Though obviously I'm not saying that going to school isn't the fastest and most straight forward way of picking it up.

At various points over the last four or five years I've thought about going into the digital multimedia, whatever form that may be. But like Dee rightly points out, without going to school, your interest would have to start MUCH earlier and you have to be good a lot earlier than if you'd gone to school too because there's more of a requirement to prove yourself.

Designing, coding and all that stuff still really interests but I'm old enough now not to be fooled into thinking I was any good. I'm creative by nature but not in application, not to a professional (or even intermediate/advanced amateur) standard anyway.

Saying that, the beauty of digital art is that it's a pretty enterprising industry. You don't have to have the qualifications as long as you have a portfolio that wows. One of my friends, who I wouldn't say had much creative imagination and certainly couldn't even begin to measure up to some of the members here at cB, has started up his own company and has been hired for highly paid stuff. Credit to him for that but I wouldn't rate him alongside some of the highly skilled designers here.
michellerrific
I'm not good enough to work as this in a career field. My graphic design skills aren't as good as my web design/HTML skills. Although i would definitely love to improve my graphic art skills.
mzkandi
Before I started going to school my designs were subpar at best, imo. I wasn't very confident in them at all and even questioned whether I had the talent to pursue a design related career. Since entering school and going through the fundmental courses things are just....wow. I see designing in a whole new light, it's more than simply designing something in the computer. There is a process and how you've arrived to the final solution is just as important as the actual design. So, what makes me capable of doing this for a living? Well, the field is very competitve and all but I have the passion and the drive to succeed in this. And from the various portfolio reviews I have gone to already experience designers say the talent is there too. In this field alot of capable designers graduate with degrees every year, I do mean ALOT. However, the burn out rate for one staying in this field is an average of 2-3 years. What is the reason for this? Well, that is another thing entirely. Basically just as many people leave it as enter into it. Also, in this field it's more about your portfolio than the degree. Needless to say, I plan on having a bangin' portfolio. whistling.gif
[2]Nekked
you'd be surprised by the number of firms/companies willing to hire mediocre talent and train them to be better. for instance, the firm im working at is looking for some interns to do the small work. I'm having to concentrate on the bigger tasks so we're hiring interns to do online support, minor website updates for clients, and actually help in the design process for the bigger projects as well. we dont need anyone who's especially good, because they may be over qualified for the position we're prepared to hire for. But at the same time, we can TRAIN these people to be better, and with that they'll have a better chance of bagging a bigger job in the future, either at our firm as a permanant hire, or somewhere else.
Ktru
I think I'm in the same boat as many of you. I toyed with the idea of actually taking graphics design seriously and living off it. I figured I could use this as a starting point and move on to video gaming and programming as it is my real love. But then i figured it's probably best i pursue programming or art or writing.

But someone did say they are afraid of pursuing this career because they got into design too late in the game. I was just wondering if you're reference of late as being a college graduate and have a degree somewhere else already? Or you just feel behind the game?

By the way it seems like a lot of people take graphics designing more as a hobby then a real potential career. If that's so, do you see yourself designing stuff when you're older and have free time? Or is this just a phase? I know for me my interest in designing gets turn on and off, it's only been lately that i've been pushed back into it.
clarity
I think I'm okay as well. I'm still very young, and if I actually take the time to learn more and reach more in depth I think I'd be considering the design field as a career option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.