Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "False" one hit wonders.
Forums > Community Center > Music
viugiufgjhfhjfhgch
Everybody has heard of bands/artists that come up with one big hit and then they seem to disappear. Some of those groups do in fact vanish, but some others just stay on the down low for whatever reasons and despite not being on the spot light they keep producing music.

I hate missing on original musical ideas that due to a continuous lack of commercial success do end up becoming unnoticed. So as an experiment of sorts, I have started this thread with the purpose of exchanging information about bands with CB members, so people can keep updated on the news about their favorite "underground" music projects, as well as meet people with similar tastes through the sharing of musical knowledge.

Myself, I would like to know what did happen to the band Fastball. They had a big hit in the late 90's with a song titled The way, which wasn't musically spectacular but it was a good pop song nonetheless.
WHIMSICAL 0NE
This reminds me of the topic of what bands you want to come back.

Something that kind of annoys me is when a band or person does a cover of a song and they're on top and then they dissapear. It's almost like they used that song to get noticed but once they got noticed their real music couldn't stand up to the cover song. shrug.gif
viugiufgjhfhjfhgch
QUOTE(WHIMSICAL 0NE @ Feb 24 2007, 6:19 AM) *

Something that kind of annoys me is when a band or person does a cover of a song and they're on top and then they dissapear. It's almost like they used that song to get noticed but once they got noticed their real music couldn't stand up to the cover song. shrug.gif

The idea, in this case, is to focus on bands, artists, musicians, etc... that still play but that somehow go "unnoticed", or do not get big time hits rather. The other topic was built on nostalgia instead; although I guess you could say they have similarities since they're both revision exercises.
Duchess of Dork
I remember Fastball, I also though they were sort of underdogs (if that makes any sense). They had a great lyrical sense and the guy's voice was very easy to listen to.

There's a band called, VAST (Visual Audio Sensory Theater) that I was pretty surprised didn't make it big, so-to-speak. They're sort of a strange cross between Depeche Mode-y passion/sensitivity a'la David Gahan, with Enigma-ish type chant vocals in the background and amazing instrumentals plus a little hard edged rock/metal. They came out with a song called "Touched" that had very little radio play. It was played on one of the first few episodes of the TV series, Angel.

I have no idea what happened to them and I only own their first CD. It's definitely worth a listen to. It's always in my cd wallet that's on hand and/or my IPod list.

VAST's website
Monochrome.
QUOTE(WHIMSICAL 0NE @ Feb 24 2007, 5:19 AM) *

OMG, I remmber that band "The Ataris" with their cover of i think the song was called "Boys of summer" but like they died from the face of the earth.
Seņorita Semi-Automatic
^In Fall Out Boy's earlier CD (the blue one) they have a song thanking the guys from The Ataris. I think that they went to other bands. (I have their CD, it was before it's time.)

The only band that I can think about is one of my favourites right now, Blue October. They came out with a song called Hate Me. The song is pretty good, but mainstream seemed to like it. Now I don't hear a lot of their music on the radio which is depressing because every song I've ever heard by them is lyrically and musically brilliant and beautiful.
Stefanny
The Click Five didn't last very long. They were out big with like 2 songs and disappeared.
viugiufgjhfhjfhgch
QUOTE(Monochrome. @ Feb 24 2007, 5:11 PM) *
OMG, I remmber that band "The Ataris" with their cover of i think the song was called "Boys of summer" but like they died from the face of the earth.

They still play and have plans of releasing a new CD this year which might be titled "Welcome the night". Their former discography (columbia) had problems, and that delayed the band's projects a bit. They're now on Sanctuary records, and there's rumors of a tour.

I have never heard of VAST, and discovered Blue October just a few months ago thanks to Dani.
think!IMAGINARILY
Actually, their new album came out on the 20th.
I don't like The Ataris anymore. I still listen to their album So Long, Astoria but I hate their new songs and the new album.

What happened to Taking Back Sunday? XD.gif I don't hear of them anymore.
viugiufgjhfhjfhgch
QUOTE(rawr SOCK @ Feb 25 2007, 12:41 AM) *
Actually, their new album came out on the 20th.
I don't like The Ataris anymore. I still listen to their album So Long, Astoria but I hate their new songs and the new album.

What happened to Taking Back Sunday? XD.gif I don't hear of them anymore.

New album "Louder Now" has already hit the stores and they're playing gigs in the USA, although I don't know if it's a full blown tour or not.
minioligo
QUOTE(Monochrome. @ Feb 24 2007, 11:11 AM) *

They got pretty big for the cover of that song, but they definitely did have other songs that did pretty well. Perhaps that went unnoticed.

Somewhere Out There by Our Lady Peace will probably always be one of my favorite songs, ever. I'm sure they did well, but after that single, people kind of forgot about them. :x Sigh.

I would think of more but I'm kind of exhausted. I'll edit later :]
think!IMAGINARILY
^ Takeoffs and Landings! And Hero Dies In This One. throb.gif Those are really great songs by The Ataris that never really went mainstream.

QUOTE(Kurd Jam @ Feb 25 2007, 12:14 AM) *
New album "Louder Now" has already hit the stores and they're playing gigs in the USA, although I don't know if it's a full blown tour or not.

Louder Now came out a year ago. blink.gif
MakeDamnSure was really popular last summer and now everyone forgot about them. Well, at least the mainstream kids did..
Azarel
The Ataris and Our Lady Peace are two of my favorite bands. OLP actually just came out with a new album last year. It is <333.

/irrelevant to actual thread topic;
viugiufgjhfhjfhgch
Does someone know what happened to the Presidents of the United States?

Admittedly, it's difficult to keep producing something new when your band plays simple rock chords using modified 6 string guitars (one used as a 2 string bass, the other as a 3 string guitar); but you gotta give the guys credit for the idea.

Also, they possibly were the only humorous band that came out of Seattle in the 90's during the peak of the grunge era. They were indeed a breath of fresh air.
me1issaaaa
Our Lady Peaceeeeeeeee throb.gif
that is all I wanted to say.
viugiufgjhfhjfhgch
Butterglory.

I just found a tape a friend recorded for me a long time ago of their debut album Crumble; I also own a 3 song EP where the song I linked above is included but I have no clue of what did happen to them after 1997 >_>;;;.

Halp pls?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.