Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
Seņorita Semi-Automatic
What is it?

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is defined within psychiatry and related psychological fields as a disorder characterized primarily by emotional dysregulation, extreme "black and white" thinking, or "splitting" (believing that something is one of only two possible things, and ignoring any possible "in-betweens"), and turbulent relationships. It can also be described by mental health professionals as a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in mood, interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior, and a disturbance in the individual's sense of self.

The disturbances suffered by those with borderline personality disorder have a wide-ranging and pervasive negative impact on many or all of the psychosocial facets of life -- including employability and relationships in work, home and social settings.

Signs and Symptoms

1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. [Not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]

2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.

4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, promiscuous sex, eating disorders, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). [Again, not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]

5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior.

6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).

7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.

8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).

9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.

While a patient with depression or bipolar disorder typically endures the same mood for weeks, a person with BPD may experience intense bouts of depression, anxiety, or anger that may last only minutes, hours, or at most a day.

Self-destructive behavior which can cover a wide range of activities. The most well-known and most recognizable symptom of a borderline patient is automutilation (self-cutting), usually of the arms, but often other areas such as the legs, chest, belly, and face. Cutting may or may not be carried out with suicidal intent, even though both entail an increased chance of suicide and self-injury attempts are highly common among patients.

Suicidal or self-harming behaviour is one of the core diagnostic criteria in DSM IV-TR, and management of this can be a complex and challenging issue.

The suicide rate is approximately eight to ten percent.

Borderline personality disorder often co-occurs with mood disorders, and when criteria for both are met, both should be diagnosed. However, some features of borderline personality disorder may overlap with those of mood disorders, complicating the differential diagnostic assessment.

For causes and treatments Read More Here >>

Do you or anyone else you know suffer from this disorder?
multifaceted
No. This is the first time I have ever heard of it.
My Cinderella.
Same as Cat, I've never heard of this disorder, but that's for sharing with us.
synthase
my moms friends sister has this disorder
ive learned about this in health..and its kinda freaky
Seņorita Semi-Automatic
QUOTE(hixfive @ Feb 25 2007, 2:25 PM) *
my moms friends sister has this disorder
ive learned about this in health..and its kinda freaky

Freaky?
WHIMSICAL 0NE
We've discussed this in my psych class. I've never met anyone with it, so I don't think I'd know a person like this when I see them.

Also, we talked about how Multi-personalities don't exsist. And that famous cases have actually been psychologists giving names to a person certian moods... more than like it was some type of bi-polar disorder.

We have lots of problems in my family rolleyes.gif but this isn't one.
LiLEthiopian
Yeah...my uncle actually has that. It definately answered a lot of questions.
pic
That is what Winona Ryder had in Girl, Interrupted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.