Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bellydancing
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Health
Seņorita Semi-Automatic
I recently purchased a Neena and Veena bellydancing DVD for beginners. They're identical twins and they're really amazing! The work out is tiring, but it's incredibly fun.

Wikipedia:
Health
The benefits of belly dance are both mental and physical. Dancing provides a good cardio-vascular workout and helps increase both flexibility and strength, focusing on the torso or "core muscles", although it also builds leg strength. Many belly dance styles emphasize muscular "isolations", teaching the ability to move various muscles or muscle groups independently. Veil work can also build arm, shoulder, and general upper-body strength, and playing the zils can build strength and independence of the fingers. Belly dance is suitable for all ages and body types, and can be as physical as the participant chooses. As with starting any new exercise routine, people would be wise to consult their doctor before starting a belly dance regimen and to talk with the belly dance instructor to find out the level of difficulty in the classes. The practice offers mental health benefits including an improved sense of well-being, better body image and self-esteem, and the generally positive outlook that comes with regular, enjoyable exercise.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the practice of belly dancing may benefit women preparing for childbirth, as the movements strengthen and tone the pelvic floor muscles and the woman becomes more familiar with the way her muscles work. The hip-circling movements used in the dance may relieve some of the common discomforts of labor.

Belly dancing and weight loss
Besides being an art form, belly dancing has been adapted as a health program. Since it gives a complete cardiovascular workout and strengthens the abdominal muscles, it is gaining popularity among men and women who want to lose weight. An intense sixty-minute session may burn around 330 calories. Since one focus of belly dancing is to gain strength and flexibility in the abdomen, the dance form is said to be one of the quickest ways to achieve firmness and reduce the paunch.

Do you bellydance?
HakunaMatata
laugh.gif You're so awesome, Linda.

Bellydancing is one of those things that I've always wanted to do, not because of the health benefits, but bellydancing serves to me as a kind of this uber-feminine dance that only the ultra-confident can do.

Maybe, when I have the time and the hyper-ness to have some extremely elevated self-esteem, I'll give it a try.
Comptine

belly dancing is incredibly seducative and fun to do. you shake your hips/body like crazy so you get a good workout. sounds interesting. maybe i'll try.

real bellydancers - for performance - need a belly for the movements to be more obvious.
StanleyThePanda
Oh, I may pick up something like that. happy.gif Sounds like a lot of fun.
My Cinderella.
I've always wanted to bellydance. I hear it's good for your body. _smile.gif Maybe I should borrow that sometime...
Blaqheartedstar
i always wanted to belly dance but never found a school for it... then again didn't look for one....
it was that or ballroom dancing
Gypsy Eyes
Yeah man, I compete.

Neena and Veena are amazing! The workout seems tiring at first, but in time it'll get easier. And your abs and butt will thank you thumbsup.gif

Wow that was cheesy pinch.gif sorry.
multifaceted
I latin dance, which is very similar.
me1issaaaa
Oh mannnnn I've always wanted to try [:
MrStrife
I wanted to take bellydancing class but they said it was only for girls. But the messed up part of it was the teacher was a dude!
freeflow
I always wanted to try it seemed like a lot of fun. I need to pick up that tape then, it does seem like it would be tiring at first .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.